Solved

Puzzled about quotation...

• 25 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,  I was advised by the MSE website that if I switched to Pure Planet I would save £431 per year.  As I am currently paying Bulb £2844 and Pure Planet are asking for £3116.67, that doesn't look like a saving to me.  Can you explain, please?

icon

Best answer by stephenrand 25 September 2020, 19:48

Hi @Empeebee 

Also worth noting that comparison sites figures are often skewed when a fixed rate tariff is about to end. They sometimes assume that if you don't switch you will start paying a standard tariff rate.

Note that it's a false comparison to compare what you are currently paying with what you are estimated to pay for the coming year. 

The first thing to check is the details of the tariffs - what are Bulb currently charging per unit compared to the Pure Planet tariff? It's a bit more complicated because of varying standing charges, but it can be done.

Or simply check what the quote for Bulb was for the coming year, not what you are currently paying.

I can understand that with an annual bill of that size you want to get it right! 

Hope that helps

View original

5 replies

Hey @Empeebee 

Hmm good question! Other Members may be able to help with their own experiences here?

It’d depend what each quote is based on - for example, it may be that your current estimated annual usage/spend with your current supplier is slightly different to your actual/ predicted annual usage that’s entered on the MSE/ PP website. It’s also worth checking the same data was used across MSE and PP? 

It’s also worth noting that any switch incentives and cashback offers are included in MSE’s quote, but not included in a quote taken directly from the PP website :thumbsup: .

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Empeebee 

Also worth noting that comparison sites figures are often skewed when a fixed rate tariff is about to end. They sometimes assume that if you don't switch you will start paying a standard tariff rate.

Note that it's a false comparison to compare what you are currently paying with what you are estimated to pay for the coming year. 

The first thing to check is the details of the tariffs - what are Bulb currently charging per unit compared to the Pure Planet tariff? It's a bit more complicated because of varying standing charges, but it can be done.

Or simply check what the quote for Bulb was for the coming year, not what you are currently paying.

I can understand that with an annual bill of that size you want to get it right! 

Hope that helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If in doubt, go to 2/3 suppliers DIRECT and pump YOUR  annual usage/consumption figures in (not by an annual estimate) and get their quotes...your not committing to anything. Once understood revert back to your switch site and join up if this is the only way to get their incentive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Empeebee I have a spreadsheet, if you tell me your annual usage and area I’ll (unofficially) run the figures and check for you, but that said I’ve never known MSE to be wrong, and given the figures you’ve quoted it must be a difference in unit numbers entered, and nothing to do with incentives, or perhaps you got a quote for the fixed on MSE and the variable on PP?

Badge

Hi,  I was advised by the MSE website that if I switched to Pure Planet I would save £431 per year.  As I am currently paying Bulb £2844 and Pure Planet are asking for £3116.67, that doesn't look like a saving to me.  Can you explain, please?

👋Hi Empeebee,

Its hard to compare so thats a very kind offer from WOZ .   I'd absolutely trust Martin Lewis information.   I switched and glad I did. 😊😉