Solved

price tarrif hike

Anyone else think that the price hikes next month are excessive. No longer the cheapest provider on comparison sites, time to leave?

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 15 May 2021, 07:17

View original

57 replies

I’m on a fixed term contract, so I can’t really say whether this month’s hikes are ‘excessive’ or not. I presume, partly because of Pure Planet’s blog, and partly due to being on heating oil, that price increases are largely an after effect of the World’s economy starting to rebound from Covid shutdowns, and the resultant increase in demand.

Personal opinion only, if you the the price is better elsewhere, and you’ve no ‘loyalty’ to Pure Planet beyond price, it may be best to move now, before everyone else’s prices start to increase.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here's a thread for you to have a look at, if you missed it:.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey Donald,

Just to add that if PP attempted to be cheapest at all times then they’ll be like dogs chasing their tale. Many businesses fail in this way when they had an effective business modal, then decided to loss lead... more than originally planned to get more customers. Hope you’ve fully read PP’s block and @Gwyndy is right...you may find a current cheaper offer but I doubt this will be for long. 

For me I bing loyal 3rd year in.

1st and 2nd year about the best offer out there.

3rd year from June at the lower cheaper percentile -  ALL GREEN - community support.

Have a great weekend

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

block = blog - Kind regards - Block Head

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey Donald,

Just to add that if PP attempted to be cheapest at all times then they’ll be like dogs chasing their tale. Many businesses fail in this way when they had an effective business modal, then decided to loss lead... more than originally planned to get more customers. Hope you’ve fully read PP’s block and @Gwyndy is right...you may find a current cheaper offer but I doubt this will be for long. 

For me I bing loyal 3rd year in.

1st and 2nd year about the best offer out there.

3rd year from June at the lower cheaper percentile -  ALL GREEN - community support.

Have a great weekend

Sound thinking Strutty 👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Durys out

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Durys out

Oy! ha ha. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We’re all different, I’ve been with Pure Planet almost from day one, I was looking for a small “local” energy supplier with green credentials- I found that! When I originally joined PP they were the most competitive regarding price and maintained that position for some time. That competitiveness has varied although PP, for my usage, have always been there and about regarding price. That, coupled with excellent customer service and a vision for the future, is enough for me to stay with this young dynamic company. As I said, we’re all different. 
Dai 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Couldn’t have put it better myself, our Dai. Could not have put it better myself. 

“Small and friendly” for me. I saw that instantly when browsing to switch, and like you, joined not long after they’d got going. They were definitely one of the most competitive, but the feel of them was something unique, something very cutting edge. 

Its not that now, of course, three four years in,  but again like you, I see no reason to change. Nowhere near the cheapest now, even in just a few months that’s become very apparent, but the excellent care you receive, to feel like a loyal customer not a number, plus the whole green approach, keeps me from constantly checking comparison sites. 

Obviously I’m not going to be naive and pay sky high unit prices and membership if it got to silly rates, nor does money come from the trees, no pun intended, but for now, PP sooooooooooooo beyond suits both myself and my parents. 

My experience is that price comparison sites can be a little misleading. When looking for fixed term/price deal, they tend to compare the best price in the market with what you might pay on the best currently available deal from your existing supplier. So far, so good. But if your existing supplier is about to bring out a new fixed term offer, you may be just as good staying put and switching to the new offer as soon as it becomes available. 

My elderly mother's strategy of just sticking with British Gas, but saying yes to any offers or tariff switches they suggested to her (they are pretty good at this), gave her reasonable value for the minimum of effort or stress.

Clearly we have some faithful followers here at Pure Planet for whom switching will not be considered and I suspect they will not lose out greatly in the long run.

If you want to maximise your savings, switch often.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Oh yes you can @Bev, and you have! I agree totally, there is a point where finances come first, we’re not there yet. 👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yep loyalty has its tolerance and if stretched to far…. then snap!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yeah, none of us are silly, but PP aren’t silly enough either to hike too high and lose us all. There’s a fine line before the snap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yeah, none of us are silly, but PP aren’t silly enough either to hike too high and lose us all. There’s a fine line before the snap.

Get your point and totally agree!

I like PP and have been with them for three year but when my fixed contract ends on the 1st July my only options are a 20% increase if I go with their Variable scheme or 40% increase with their fixed scheme.  Or I can switch to several companies and pay between 0% and 10% more. It’s hard to justify staying with PP but I would come back if their prices were competitive again.  They don’t need to be the cheapest but 20% and 40% increase is too much

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@BennyK

I did a similar comparison and my increases were similar, also bear in mind that the last fixed deal was only available for 7 days so plenty of time for them to increase  ( or decrease ) again.

According to my estimated annual usage, my increase on the fixed would be £376 or on variable £152. Such increases are not sustainable on a fixed income, the only option is to use even less

I am looking at going from £643.15 to £850.75 that is a little crazy even on the two year fixed it's £822.97 that's a 27-30% rise.

Unfortunately I can't see how I can stay on with that kind of price increase. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I am looking at going from £643.15 to £850.75 that is a little crazy even on the two year fixed it's £822.97 that's a 27-30% rise.

Unfortunately I can't see how I can stay on with that kind of price increase. 

@PureG 

I think you may get a bit of a surprise when you do a comparison, no doubt you will find a cheaper tariff but it will be variable and thus will almost certainly increase at some point (unless it’s just been released).

When you do your comparison it’s important that you use exactly the same number of units your PP quote is based on.

Said another way @PureG, prices have risen hugely everywhere. Choose carefully...

I have been with pure planet for number of years now and prices always seemed competitive- however recent massive price hike caused me to do actual compare-

Result- 

I am moving to another company, again on variable contract, no tie in, though I could actually go on fixed price for 2 years with BG and that fixed price would still be cheaper than PP!!!

I am sadly surprised at PP hike!

Worth a per unit comparison!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have been with pure planet for number of years now and prices always seemed competitive- however recent massive price hike caused me to do actual compare-

Result- 

I am moving to another company, again on variable contract, no tie in, though I could actually go on fixed price for 2 years with BG and that fixed price would still be cheaper than PP!!!

Good Luck @Floyd2542 hope all works out well and hopefully you may return one day. Timing is never easy in the energy market, its not easy for the suppliers as they wiggle about with deals, not easy for us customers and especially not easy for those who do not have the time or inclination to research. You getting 100% green with BG?

Best wishes

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

From my personal point of view I’ve only known PP to claim that as a customer we will only ever pay the wholesale price that they pay. If that goes up for them it goes up for us, likewise if it goes down. They have little control over the wholesale price but I imagine as PP grows they will have more negotiating power.

Still undecided on the fixed term contract (although probably will), but like I’ve said on previous threads I am more interested in a company that treats you like an individual and has a good ethos and vision to boot. Like anything else in life, cheapest doesn’t always mean best and I’m in a fortunate enough position to be able to vote with my thoughts rather than pocket (although my usage won’t rise that much according to the comparison).

Result- 

Good Luck @Floyd2542 hope all works out well and hopefully you may return one day. Timing is never easy in the energy market, its not easy for the suppliers as they wiggle about with deals, not easy for us customers and especially not easy for those who do not have the time or inclination to research. You getting 100% green with BG?

Best wishes

Thanks- Im not going with BG, just used as example as they always seem to be known as expensive and yet, it would still be cheaper than PP!

I am moving to another company, again on variable contract, no tie in,

Hi @Floyd2542, good luck. Thanks for the updates.

Be aware prices are rising everywhere and are forecast to be much higher by the end of the year. 

I have fixed for 24 months with PP from mid July. PP came out the best on price when I checked on a comparison site. As I have reported elsewhere, Uswitch simply said they could not quote anything cheaper. I did on another site, after I locked in,find BG and Scottish Power were now cheaper but very marginal and for me ever to switch to either of those two would take a hell of an incentive.