Solved

PP not sent my old supplier meter readings

• 9 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I left EDF a month ago but they have not received the final meter readings for my electricity from Pure Planet.

A reminder was sent on the 2nd October but they have had no response. Is someone able to advise what's going on? I want to get my old account closed down as soon as possible but it's a nightmare to get an answer with this company and has been a month already.

I also have a 2nd generation smart meter so not sure why this is so difficult?
icon

Best answer by woz 10 October 2019, 21:28

hi Savo83
you can't be charged for the same energy twice, and your readings will eventually be verified/accepted (even if they aren't exactly what you expect there's a tolerance below which they can't be disputed.)
If you want confirmation that they have been sent to edf (who as said already know what they are) please read my previous reply.
It isn't a nightmare yet, and you should ask edf to either stop taking or reduce the dd to a nominal amount until it's sorted (if you believe you are in good credit with them.)
​It's usual for both providers to continue to take a dd until final bill is produced.
Savo83;39729:
SMETS2 should have no issue sending readings when changing provider. Where are you seeing that it "applies to all suppliers"?
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Savo
it can take up to 6 weeks to finalise your bill from the previous supplier and the readings have to be verified by a 3rd party.

The 2nd generation SM's is irrelevant as far as PP are concerned, your meters will have ceased being smart when you switched to PP.
I'm sure PP will have sent the readings but you need to check through help, ask wattbot, type message the team. Replies not instant.
Hi,

My meters should not have ceased when I moved to PP, that's the whole point of 2nd generation smart meters..

Just to add, this is what I received previously from PP:

"I can see from your account that we've received and used your opening meter reads. It should take a few days longer for us to gain communication with your meter, at that point we'll be taking readings."

This was about 2 weeks ago. Gas has been confirmed, electricity is still an estimate and now I've received an email asking for more readings.

I really need someone from PP to give me clarification as this has been a nightmare from day one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Savo83

I can understand your frustration, but I would have thought that EDF could have read your smart meter at the time of the switch.
As regards the functionality of the meters passing between the supplies, it would appesr that the technology has not yet caught up with the idea, this applies to all suppliers.
https://community.purepla.net/threads/6696-Keep-sending-us-monthly-meter-readings-after-your-new-smart-meter-installation-for-now?highlight=Read+meter
SMETS2 should have no issue sending readings when changing provider. Where are you seeing that it "applies to all suppliers"?
This information is all over the internet / news channels etc.

You are correct that SMETS2 meters are "supposed" to be able to communicate with any new provider......but as stated by @Duppy.....the technology has not managed to keep pace with the government's and Ofgem's aspirations. Until the firmware/software is updated then that is unfortunately the position.

Savo83;39729:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Savo83
you can't be charged for the same energy twice, and your readings will eventually be verified/accepted (even if they aren't exactly what you expect there's a tolerance below which they can't be disputed.)
If you want confirmation that they have been sent to edf (who as said already know what they are) please read my previous reply.
It isn't a nightmare yet, and you should ask edf to either stop taking or reduce the dd to a nominal amount until it's sorted (if you believe you are in good credit with them.)
​It's usual for both providers to continue to take a dd until final bill is produced.
Savo83;39729: