Solved

My direct debit is higher than my final bill (which was worked out with the existing debit on the account)

• 2 December 2021
  • 5 replies

My final bill is the account debit of £152.37 plus my actual usage £111.19 which adds up to £263.56

So why is my direct debit set to £293.29? Who’s getting the £29.73? 

icon

Best answer by Lapa 2 December 2021, 13:52

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Any credit you build up will be transferred to Shell and you can use it towards your payments there

Badge +5

@beingrobbedbyanenergycompany 

“Who’s getting the £29.73?”

You are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@beingrobbedbyanenergycompany 

Please don’t take this the wrong way but I believe you don’t understand the basics of your account or how energy companies (and most other similar companies) work, because if you did you wouldn't have asked the question in the way you did, let me explain...

The amount of the direct debit is (in effect) not related to to what happens on either your (any)  monthly statement or your final statement. 

The direct debit amount is predicated upon,  (as near as possible) your usage pattern, (what the company thinks you will use over a year), taking into account the energy pricesand is calculated to cover your energy use for a year. 

The money from the direct debit goes into your glass BALANCE jar and sits in there where in the future the (any) energy company will raid the jar and take out money for what you’ve used ad your standing costs, (or what they’ve estimated you’ve used if they don’t have readings)

In some cases the jar will empty because either you’re not topping it up with enough for the energy used (payments too low) or perhaps there is a cold spell where you temporarily use a lot of energy, and in that case your account would be in debit. 

In your case the DD is set for exactly that, the rest of your DD will sit in the glass jar where Shell will use it to pay for your energy use.

Do you still think you’ve been robbed?  (any more so than everyone else with an energy account, we’re all being robbed by supply and demand price fluctuations, but that isn’t the fault of the energy companies, that’s down to poor government regulation, which in this case has actually saved you for 6 months)

(expect the DD to increase substantially because prices are going up a lot)

Hello @beingrobbedbyanenergycompany 

Thanks for posting! Some fab advice from your fellow Community Members here - this may also be a helpful read:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My final bill is the account debit of £152.37 plus my actual usage £111.19 which adds up to £263.56

So why is my direct debit set to £293.29? Who’s getting the £29.73? 

@beingrobbedbyanenergycompany I’ve re read your post and I’m now wondering if my original reply was absolutely correct, to be honest I’m now not sure.

So my question is did you receive any correspondence to say the amount of your DD was going to change?