Question

Meter info not updated - huge bill

• 3 September 2020
  • 8 replies

Hello

Very worried, a year or so ago I had a smart meter installed and a Pure Energy agent said the new meter had not been registered/updated with the database.

My gas reading 500 when I joined but the actual meter reading is showing 1922. Not sure what's happened, but I have a £300 gas bill and my estimated usage is 23,000. Does anyone know what might have happened?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Oxfordmark 

just to clarify as your post is a little unclear, as more info is required  I’ll make some assumptions and ask some questions.

Firstly when you say you have a £300 bill what do you mean? What time period does that cover? Is it a consolidated updated bill showing the usage over  a number of months perhaps? I think it might be read on as to why.

All numbers used below are guesses apart from your numbers

you had the SM installed before you joined PP and your opening reading with PP was 500? is that correct? (meter started from zero originally so that seems to make sense?)

How much is your monthly payment?

What tariff are you on? what area? 

Have you had any statements, are the readings on the statements estimated or real readings?

Is the meter number (or both meter numbers)  on the bill the same as the one(s) on the front of the meter(s)

You’ve used 1922 less 500 cu.m in how long a period? =1422

1422 cu.m at an average cal value of 39.4 is about 15915kWh, using a guessed rate of 2.8p/kwh gas cost without standing charge (or mem. fee) = £445, plus pro-rata Standing charge of £96 a year (again over how long a period?)(and less£30 a year Dual discount)

If your annual quote is correct your annual gas should be around 2050 cu.m a year and cost should be around £644 excluding standing charge and dual fuel discount.

Hence why your bill of £300 makes no sense unless pp have used the wrong readings or it’s a consolidated statement revised because the meter is now correctly registered.

Does any of the above help?

If you answer the questions we should be able to work out what’s going on.

I don’t work for PP

Hey

The usage for 26th July - 25th August was 15417.1 kWh.

The SM was Installed around a year ago. I think. From another supplier, I've only been a customer for a month.

Monthly payment is £54 going to £84 for winter.

I've messaged the team, I'm really confused as to what's happened.

Hey @Oxfordmark 

I’m sure the Member Services team would be able to look into this for you by checking your meter details and current readings and updating them as needed:thumbsup:

Hope getting in touch with them got this sorted for you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey

The usage for 26th July - 25th August was 15417.1 kWh.

The SM was Installed around a year ago. I think. From another supplier, I've only been a customer for a month.

Monthly payment is £54 going to £84 for winter.

I've messaged the team, I'm really confused as to what's happened.

@Oxfordmark ARE YOU READING THE FIGURES OFF THE ACTUAL METER NOT THE IN HOME DISPLAY? if so there’s something very wrong here, if it’s the actual meter readings, it’s showing 2/3 of a years worth of readings in a month.

Either the meter is faulty or something is using a lot of gas or the readings being used are wrong.

Do the readings used on the statement tally with what’s on the meter on the wall?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Oxfordmark I’ve just read back to original post and something doesn’t sit right here.

You said “my estimated usage is 23,000”

Unless you use beggar-all electricity the gas alone is around the £700 a year mark so I don’t see how your annual can be £840 a year.

for example, depending on tariff and area the figure for 2900 electric(ofgem medium)  and 23000 gas is around £1200 a year

see below Southern and regional figures for 2900 elec 23000 gas

woz’s spreadsheet

woz’s other sheet...

Sorryi for not responding sooner, PP confirm they are still looking into the meter issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Oxfordmark (irrespective of the meter issue) if your annual is 23000 gas your payments on the face of it appear to be set too low.(I’m trying to be helpful not criticising).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Oxfordmark

rethink...I now realise that when you said it was 23000 estimated you meant that was PP’s estimate not your annual estimated use, in which case ignore my ramblings above-apologies I think I may have misunderstood.