Solved

Left our student house and suddenly charged £1100

• 22 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, we were in a student house in Bournemouth for 12 months which we have recently left. 

Throughout the tenancy we had been paying roughly £98 per month (Oct-March) and roughly £66 (April-September) which totals to roughly £980 which sounds about right based off what I’ve seen for a yearly energy bill. We rarely used our central heating and we also didn’t have a TV so those are things I’d consider contribute to a cheap bill.

The problem we’ve ran into is that 3 weeks after leaving the property we have received a charge of £1100 without any communication and it was taken right out of one of our bank accounts. I’m assuming this is a mistake because a total of over £2000 for the year is ridiculous especially considering that for a few months a few of us weren’t even there due to coronavirus. 

I’d really appreciate some clarification on this matter as this bill seems insane to be honest and as students it’s not affordable without any notice.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 22 September 2020, 17:03

Hmmm, you’ll have to trust the landlord then. The system is probably accurate as it’s monitored by a third party organisation, so it’s unlikely to stay wrong even if there is an initial mistake.

Get in touch with PP and explain your concerns. 

(£2000 for energy for a student house for a year might not be out of the question, depending on how many people were in it.) 😞

View original

5 replies

Hi @LukeM, if you have your move-out meter readings it should be easy to clear up. 

You are talking to fellow customers here, so use Get help and Support and Ask a Question to get in touch with staff at PP. I’m sure they’ll look into this.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, the problem is we’ve moved out so we can’t get accurate readings. 

Hmmm, you’ll have to trust the landlord then. The system is probably accurate as it’s monitored by a third party organisation, so it’s unlikely to stay wrong even if there is an initial mistake.

Get in touch with PP and explain your concerns. 

(£2000 for energy for a student house for a year might not be out of the question, depending on how many people were in it.) 😞

Thanks again, really appreciate any advice on it. I’ll get in touch with the landlord and hopefully find a resolution 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@LukeM 

Did you check any of your statements ongoing while you were there?

Who took it out of your bank account? Was it PP or the landlord?

I’d use those as evidence for the landlord if required  and ask for a copy of the bill he/she has from PP showing readings.