Solved

I have just vought a swim spa

• 12 October 2020
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 3

Hello 

I have just bought a swim spa/small swimming pool with a Fastlane Counter Current and an air source heat pump. It is 12.9 metres long and 4.9 meters wide and about 3 metres deep. I Intend to keep it heated all year around at around 26 degrees as I want to swim daily even in cold weather . Obviously so this is going to greatly increase my usage particularly in winter - I am expecting in summer the air source heat pump will be much more efficient. Any ideas of how much electricity a month this would cost? And how I let Pure Planet know that I need to pay lots lots more monthly? 

icon

Best answer by G4RHL 12 October 2020, 10:16

The instructions that came with it should tell you how much power is used in kilowatt hours - kHw - depending on the temperature setting. Just a matter of taking the time you will spend in it each day, multiply that by the kHw and then by your PP rate.

Great idea by the way. Much more sensible than a hot tub. Hopefully it has a cover!

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The instructions that came with it should tell you how much power is used in kilowatt hours - kHw - depending on the temperature setting. Just a matter of taking the time you will spend in it each day, multiply that by the kHw and then by your PP rate.

Great idea by the way. Much more sensible than a hot tub. Hopefully it has a cover!

I guess insulation is key to keeping cost low.

You can review my account in the ☰ menu to encourage PP to up your payments.

Happy swimming!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Happy swimming indeed 🙀🏊‍♀️, what a lovely thing to own right now! 

Badge +1

If its outside the cost to run it will depend on the weather temperature so its impossible to say what the cost will be.  I'm sure it will be worth it especially if you do manage to swim every day.  A great way to get fit.  👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@KazzyMints

From a calculated guess from the figures provided I’d start by upping your payments by about £40 - £50 a month and keep a close eye on it. As said insulation is the absolute key, the more heat you lose the bigger your bills are going to be. You’ll find a big surge in usage  the first time you heat it and then it will settle down.

Why not take daily readings over the fist few weeks? (but don’t go poking around your meter with wet feet!)

Userlevel 3

Ah yes it has quite thick foam type insulation in the walls and floor plus a solar cover (sorta like a blue bubble wrap). I only switched it on four days ago and there has been a huge surge indeed but good to know that should settle down - thanks for your advice and help (the wet feet made me smile 😃) x

Userlevel 3

If its outside the cost to run it will depend on the weather temperature so its impossible to say what the cost will be.  I'm sure it will be worth it especially if you do manage to swim every day.  A great way to get fit.  👍

Yeah it’s outside permanently and I want to use it all year round no matter what the weather - I think summer will be cheap as it has an air source heater - winter electric bills may be scary. I’m sure it will be worth it too … thank you x 

Userlevel 3

I need to do some maths then - I’m crap with understanding KW stuff but I’ll try THANK YOU X 

Userlevel 3

Happy swimming indeed 🙀🏊‍♀️, what a lovely thing to own right now! 

Ah thank you - my 60th birthday present to myself ordered when lockdown locked me out of public pools but took 4 long months to arrive x 

Badge +1

@KazzyMints We'd love to see a picture 👍

Userlevel 3

Yeah I am guessing icy frosty days will be a heap of money but also hoping hot sunny days will cost practically zero x

Userlevel 3

@KazzyMints We'd love to see a picture 👍

Userlevel 3

What you think? It’s lush swimming in it and lights up blue at night x 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great post - Whens the pool party

Userlevel 3

I guess insulation is key to keeping cost low.

You can review my account in the ☰ menu to encourage PP to up your payments.

Happy swimming!

Ah thank you I just requested an account review x 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I need to do some maths then - I’m crap with understanding KW stuff but I’ll try THANK YOU X 

@KazzyMints If you need help post the numbers here, there are sufficient nerds in the community (not me of course!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Oh Wow Kazzy !!!!!!! What a fab pool !!!!!!!!!! That is amazing! What a difference to a communal pool eh?! That is superb! You look soooooooo happy in it too! Awesome! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🏊‍♀️👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That looks fantastic,  happy swimming

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For those who missed their exams this year…

Q.

1. If it  takes 1.163kWh to raise the temperature of 1 cubic metre of water by 1°C,  if you assume 100% efficiency (which you can’t get in practice and excluding heat losses), how many kWh would you need to raise the temperature of 140 cubic metres of water by 10°C and if electricity costs £0.15 per kWh how much will it cost?
  1. If the temperature dropped 0.25°C every 6 hours how much would it cost per day to maintain the temperature

(I calculated 140 from what I thought were the internal dimensions but it’s maybe less than that?)

Please show your calculations on the sheet provided.

Spoiler stop reading now…..and get your pencil sharpened..

and you at the back...no cheating, what’s that written on your wrist?

The answer is 140 cu.m x10 degrees x 1.163kWh = 1628kWh or £244 at 15p/kWh

If the loss of heat was a 1 degrees in 24 hours then it would cost 1x140x1.163=186kWh or about £24 to maintain the temperature.

All of this excludes any contribution made by the A.S.heat pump and any heating efficiency losses.

and it’s a complete guess.., but at least it’s measured in kWh and £ rather than football pitches or double decker buses or Chinese people laid end-to-end (statistically shorter than Americans)

Badge +1

@woz you're making my brain hurt 😂

Energy + ££ + Swim = Fun 

@KazzyMints Wow, I love it.  Saves going on expensive jet holidays too.  👏👏

Great maths @woz

Once you’re up to temperature, you only have to pay for the heat losses. Insulation is key. 😉