Solved

I have a fixed rate tarrif and i have been hit with a charge that is 4 times more

• 26 October 2020
  • 9 replies

I have a fixed tarrif and i pay 33 pounds a month in winters, i was sent to give a meter reading and my bill car out as 107 pounds even though i only pay 33, then why am i using a fixed tarrif then if i get hit with variable rates, this is a total rip off

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 26 October 2020, 13:39

Hi

The 'fixed' part of the tariff refers to the price per KWH, which does not change, it is NOT a fixed DD.

if your usage is more than what was estimated , then you will obviously pay more.

You pay for what you use. 

There seems to be alot of people being confused with what is meant by 'fixed tariff',  heres another post with the same query:

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/usage-11351

All other supplier's fixed  tariffs work the same. 

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

The 'fixed' part of the tariff refers to the price per KWH, which does not change, it is NOT a fixed DD.

if your usage is more than what was estimated , then you will obviously pay more.

You pay for what you use. 

There seems to be alot of people being confused with what is meant by 'fixed tariff',  heres another post with the same query:

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/usage-11351

All other supplier's fixed  tariffs work the same. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get " all you can eat " energy for £33 per month

😀😀😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I'd go for that! 👍👍👍👍

It's really concerning how many posts we've had recently that don't appear to understand what a 'tariff' is.

Perhaps it's some strange knock-on effect of other 'utilities' such as mobile phone and broadband, having almost everything included in the one payment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I can’t get my head around why this is happening, in particular do the same thoughts and assumptions apply to every energy company which offers a fixed tariff?

The solution is simple but draconian, change the name to fixed rate? (not fixed rate tariff but “fixed rate” as in “Pure Planet Fixed Rate October 2020”

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Omarz and Just to add what has already been advised.

You arrived at PP because the fixed tarrif highlighted a more favourable cost based on your projected usage. If your projected usage was based on a standard modal and not your actual usage then this maybe a reason why its not what you expected. Our energy usage changes as its not fixed, and all suppliers require our usage/consumption via our metre reads. DD’s remain as is so in essence PP are currently subsidising our energy if our accounts end up in debit because we used more than originally advised, or consume more energy once joined up. PP will review our accounts twice a year and advise, but we have the capability to ask for a DD review as this has no bearing on a fixed tariff.  

In essence its the tariff that saves money wether fixed or not fixed x usage consumption that will increase or decrease your costs. Your statements reflect your usage consumption based on your metre submissions so monthly statements will always reflect that and could be in debit or credit.

All the best and always head back for more member feed back and assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It's not surprising that a few people are thinking this way, a quick Google reveals a few " Fix the cost of your energy " ads, which then further down state the unit rate is fixed. As @woz  says maybe a wording change needs to be considered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have a fixed tarrif and i pay 33 pounds a month in winters, i was sent to give a meter reading and my bill car out as 107 pounds even though i only pay 33, then why am i using a fixed tarrif then if i get hit with variable rates, this is a total rip off

hi @Omarz 

As per other answers, just to directly answer your question, the rates are not variable on the fixed tariff.

The only variable is how much you use, and you (ultimately) pay for what you use at the fixed rate. 

If you think you are being ripped off then I think you should try getting some other quotes.

The estimated usage that you used for the quote is far too low, you should increase your direct debit as soon as possible to cover your usage, or you’ll end up being hit with a big bill. Your payment only allows around £26 a month  for fuel costs - that’s less than £1 a day - I can’t see that being enough to carry  you through the cold period.(I’ve guessed you are single fuel as I don’t know if you are single or dual fuel).

Post back if you need more help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just needs to simply be worded, or thought of, as “fixed unit price”