Solved

I changed supplier a few days before PP ceased trading, but DD was still taken out of my account. I havent had a final bill, I was already in credit. How do I get a final bill and my money back from PP?

• 18 October 2021
  • 36 replies

I left PP a few days before they ceased trading. The switch was complete. PP still took out my DD I was already in credit. I havent had a final bill yet but have already switched. How do I get my bill and credit from Pure Planet?

icon

Best answer by Duppy 18 October 2021, 18:11

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@sandojane 

Paying a direct debit after switching is quite normal, as until you receive the final bill you are still technically a customer.

As PP has ceased trading, if PP have not produced a final bill ( which can take up to 6 weeks ), the supplier chosen by Ofgem will produce the bill and issue any refund, but the timescale could be a lot longer than 6 weeks as they gradually integrate PP customers onto their own database

what happens if you have already switched to a new company a few days before, but PP have taken out a direct debit. I am in credit , but Ofgem haven’t transferred me, so new company are not obliged to pay me back are they? Worried PP will take out another DD as well.

Think my case is different. I just completed my switch and set up new DD with new company, before PP ceased to trade. I have a smart meter so they know my usage. PP took a further payment from my account, will this be refunded to me as Ofgem did not switch me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@sandojane 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@sandojane  

Userlevel 3

Shell should sort it out once they take over your account, even though you had already left they are still responsible for the administration of the account. We prepared for a long wait, companies alwwys drag their feet when it comes to paying refunds.

I did my own switch Ofgem did not , I had already switched to new company and PP still took at DD. I have not had final bill despite having smart meter, and DD has been taken. Will PP refund my money?

Hello @sandojane 

@Duppy and @srf739 are spot on here - it’ll be Shell who refund you and process your final bill. Hopefully it wont be too long a wait after your final bill! 

@sandojane I’ve merged your posts together so you can better keep track of the advise you’re getting!

I’ve also replied to your dm :blush:

Userlevel 2

Hi, I also switched from Pure Planet (to Octopus) a few weeks before PP stopped trading. I was in credit and they confirmed my switch was complete....and THEN took another payment. They now owe me almost £200. I'm worried that I'll "fall through the cracks" because OFGEM were not involved in the switch. Who will arrange for my refund? Do I need to do to anything to ensure this refund is processed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Ticketyboo4u

If you haven't had a final bill, and PP hold a credit, you are still technically a customer, your details will be sent to Shell as per Ofgem rules, and any credits will be repaid by them, although it may take a while, whilst all of PP's customers are transferred to their systems.

For the moment there is nothing you need to do

Hello @Ticketyboo4u 

Thanks for posting, love your username! 

@Duppy is spot on here - your credit is protected and won’t fall through the cracks, and Ofgem are part of the process involving Shell taking over PP’s Member base. Shell will process your final bill and refund your credit, it may just take a little time. You don’t need to do anything. 

I hope this helps!

@sandojane 

It is unfortunate that this happened, but in certain circumstances, like completing switching supplier right before PP announcement + being in credit + cold season higher amount of DD + electric house/no gas account - would mean double high amount debited monthly until Shell sort it out for unknown period of time.

I cancelled my direct debit mandate for PP ( and it failed this month), there is enough money on the account to cover that and will still be in credit. Direct Credit to my bank account does not require a mandate, so that if at any time the balance need to be refunded, it will be refunded.

I’m in the same boat. My switch was completed just before PP ceased trading, I have had my final bill and paid all owed monies but PP have still taken the next DD payment today...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Direct Credit to my bank account does not require a mandate, so that if at any time the balance need to be refunded, it will be refunded.

@rms 

True as long as they have your bank account details. I was always under the impression that once a DD was cancelled the company could no longer credit your account. My understanding is they aren’t then allowed to store your bank details, thus you would need to let them know the account number.

If so you won’t automatically get your refund without intervention

I may be talking complete b*ll*x but that is how I’ve always understood it to work, butt happy to be corrected?

I’m in the same position, switched before PP ceased trading, however I received a final statement on the 16th October, but haven’t had my credit balance refunded.  Should I cancel my direct debit - I understand that if I cancel it PP / Shell won’t be able to refund me, but I’m worried that PP will take another payment.  Also, as I’ve had my final statement, will Shell know that I haven’t been refunded.  Sorry, really don’t know what to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Shell will handle everything. It will take a bit longer than normally as they have over 300k accounts to set up on their systems.m but they will refund you as soon as they can :) 

Shell will handle everything. It will take a bit longer than normally as they have over 300k accounts to set up on their systems.m but they will refund you as soon as they can :) 

Thank you.  Do you think I should I leave my direct debit then, and trust that PP won’t take another payment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If they do, shell will refund anything that is due. I believe the guidance is to leave the DD so that it’s smoother for them to refund but if you cancel it Shell will contact  you for your details.  

Hello @Caz72 and @crusaderno7 

Thanks for posting! @Lapa is spot on here - this may be helpful too:

Direct Credit to my bank account does not require a mandate, so that if at any time the balance need to be refunded, it will be refunded.

@rms

True as long as they have your bank account details. I was always under the impression that once a DD was cancelled the company could no longer credit your account. My understanding is they aren’t then allowed to store your bank details, thus you would need to let them know the account number.

If so you won’t automatically get your refund without intervention...

The thing is that DD (beneficiary who charges your account) details are stored at the bank side, and bank/account detail is stored at the company side. When you cancel your DD at the bank side, the company still sends request for payment to your bank, but the payment is denied. Meaning that your bank/account detail is still available at the company. When Direct Credit message is issued by the company to your bank/account to credit (refund) an amount, it doesn’t require your authorisation/mandate.

The chance for Shell to loose your bank details or account for DD payments made after the transfer is greater than for PP to calculate and stop charging the excessive money which they do in such circumstances.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@rms

If so you won’t automatically get your refund without intervention...

The thing is that DD (beneficiary who charges your account) details are stored at the bank side, and bank/account detail is stored at the company side. When you cancel your DD at the bank side, the company still sends request for payment to your bank, but the payment is denied. Meaning that your bank/account detail is still available at the company. When Direct Credit message is issued by the company to your bank/account to credit (refund) an amount, it doesn’t require your authorisation/mandate.

The chance for Shell to loose your bank details or account for DD payments made after the transfer is greater than for PP to calculate and stop charging the excessive money which they do in such circumstances.

@rms

and  @Mads - can you ask for me?

Once the DD is cancelled as far as I know the data protection rules mean that the company is no longer allowed to store your bank details. 

Until someone can confirm this one way or another I beg to  disagree with your reply.
As I said I may be wrong but I’ve come up against this a number of times so either companies are giving out incorrect info or I’ve misunderstood which is entirely possible.

Userlevel 1

I am in the same position, switched away before PP ceased trading. Final readings have been accepted, but no final bill produced and I am in credit as well. Who really knows if and when we will get our money back. 

Hello @woz and @rms 

Details are held for a period of time before being removed, they won't be accessible, but the information will be there. We follow the same rules as other companies. I hope this helps! 

Hello @woz and @rms 

Details are held for a period of time before being removed, they won't be accessible, but the information will be there. We follow the same rules as other companies. I hope this helps! 

Sorry to go on, but have I understood the above correctly, that I can cancel the direct debit as the bank details will be available to Shell from Pure Planet?  Sorry, just getting really confused now, thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Caz72 

As stated your bank details are held for a time, but they are not accessible. Regardless as mentioned numerous times in numerous posts, if you cancel your direct debit, Shell will be in touch to arrange a new one once the accounts are set up