Solved

I changed over to SMART Meters and my readings are not carried over

• 28 October 2020
  • 6 replies

From December 19 to January 20, my meter reading seems to have reset (all estimated) but effectively gone to a very low reading. I continued to pay the same amount.

SMART Meters were installed in August and I can see the closing balance.

In short, the meter readings between estimated and new opening balance from the smart meters seem all over the place. I don’t believe the readings but not sure how I can get an actual up to date and accurate bill…..

HELP?!

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 28 October 2020, 21:25

Hi @EdW 

My assumption, and it is only an assumption, is that when your new Smart Meters were fitted in August, Magnum Utilities would have sent the ‘closing readings’ from the old ‘dumb’ meters. With an actual reading for the first time in months, Pure Planet will have then changed your usage estimates since the last time they had received accurate readings.

Pure Planet does this by sending a ‘Consolidated Statement,' a rather odd looking statement, with the words ‘Offset Bill’ appearing on the re-estimated parts, is that what’s happened to you?

There’s more about it here:

https://community.purepla.net/statements-and-billing-43/offset-bill-and-consolidated-bill-what-do-these-mean-10323

I can only assume that until such time as you, or Magnum Utilities, supplied ‘real’ figures, and with nothing else to go on, Pure Planet’s estimates were practically completely random.

As to ‘getting to the bottom of actual usage’ - I would hope the best person to do that is you, youi’ve had access to something Pure Planet haven't - your previous meter - therefore you should have a far better chance of knowing what your actual annual usage would be - a figure Pure Planet won’t have until they’ve received 12 months Smart meter data.

As to your post title, when you receive a ‘Smart Meter’ your readings aren’t 'carried over’ Pure Planet should have had the ‘closing readings’ from your old meter, and the statement that covers the period of the switchover, should contain two sections:

The usage on the ‘old’ meter

The usage on the ‘smart’ meter (which should start at ‘0’)

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @EdW 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet but to your fellow customers, who often prove a helpful bunch! But note - none of them have access to your account details.

I suspect you will need to contact Pure Planet directly, but some of the regulars here might have some thoughts. I think it will help if you could tell us

1) Have you ever submitted your own meter readings? Your post suggests you might not have done - but presumably you gave your meter readings when you first joined Pure Planet.

2) You ask how you get a bill - which makes me wonder if you're seeing your monthly statement sent by email?

3) You'll continue to pay the same because you pay by a direct debit which is based on your estimated usage when you joined. It would be modified if necessary if your monthly readings indicated your usage was different to that original estimate

We'll look forward to some more info!

Stephen

PS Here's how to contact Pure Planet

Hi - that was quick (helluva lot quicker than PP ever are...)

It’s just that they are erratic (90000kwh done to 394!!) and this is all of of PP’s estimate of usage. I didn’t send actuals for ages but when I did, nothing added up.

In addition, it reset to weird closing numbers (6000ish) on the closing ‘old’ meters - so not even in the ballpark of the estimates either.

Bill reduced from £1200 outstanding (!!) to circa £350 when I challenged it - just trying to get to the bottom of actual usage and actual balance so DD can be adjusted accordingly.

Think it’s one for PP direct if I’m honest and have emailed them. Will set the clock to 2031 and check in for their reply ;)

Hi @EdW 

My assumption, and it is only an assumption, is that when your new Smart Meters were fitted in August, Magnum Utilities would have sent the ‘closing readings’ from the old ‘dumb’ meters. With an actual reading for the first time in months, Pure Planet will have then changed your usage estimates since the last time they had received accurate readings.

Pure Planet does this by sending a ‘Consolidated Statement,' a rather odd looking statement, with the words ‘Offset Bill’ appearing on the re-estimated parts, is that what’s happened to you?

https://community.purepla.net/statements-and-billing-43/offset-bill-and-consolidated-bill-what-do-these-mean-10323

I can only assume that until such time as you, or Magnum Utilities, supplied ‘real’ figures, and with nothing else to go on, Pure Planet’s estimates were practically completely random.

As to ‘getting to the bottom of actual usage’ - I would hope the best person to do that is you, youi’ve had access to something Pure Planet haven't - your previous meter - therefore you should have a far better chance of knowing what your actual annual usage would be - a figure Pure Planet won’t have until they’ve received 12 months Smart meter data.

As to your post title, when you receive a ‘Smart Meter’ your readings aren’t 'carried over’ Pure Planet should have had the ‘closing readings’ from your old meter, and the statement that covers the period of the switchover, should contain two sections:

The usage on the ‘old’ meter

The usage on the ‘smart’ meter (which should start at ‘0’)

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@EdW When you have a new meter fitted it starts from zero.

Eventually PP will complete the billing with closing readings from the old meter and use the real readings from the new meter. Your payments should not be affected during this time.

It can take some weeks.

Otherwise as other replies, patience is required, you’ll get an updated statement.

Hi @EdW 

Welcome to the community @EdW 

This reply from @Gwyndy looks pretty spot on. It is exactly what I started thinking as I read your post.

Our Member services team can of course check out your account details (as a mere community manager I don’t have access to account! Prob a good move :laughing: ) and make sure it’s all correct. 

I can also flag this to them :thumbsup:

Hi again @EdW 

I’ve just checked this out with one of the team. Can confirm @Gwyndy hit the nail on the head.

There was a ‘re-version’ of bills due to new readings following a SMETS2 install.