Solved

high gas bill

• 22 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

over the winter months I’ve been seeing my gas Bill get bigger and bigger obviously I acknowledge that it’s winter period but I don’t use my heating that much for reason of bills. After putting an actual reading in in December, I’ve now got bills going up to £190 which I’ve never used that much! I receive my bills and they have a ‘DR’ number which after has now accumulated to £329.00!! Which is shocking I do not owe that much I pay standard fee every month which increases and decreases due to season but worried I’m going have this massive bill seeing I don’t understand the bills im receiving now 

plesse help! 

many thanks :) 

icon

Best answer by Aimee123 24 February 2021, 22:14

Hiya 

thank you for your help sent in a real reading today and realised why I had gone in such increase! Last time sent reading I sent in the electric for the gas reading!! So was very silly human error have emailed pureplanet hope this gets sorted soon lol!! 

thanks again :) 

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Aimee123 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet but to your fellow customers. No-one here has access to your account.

A month's gas usage of £190 is certainly high, it's more than my 4-bed detached, but you don't say if you have a big house or how many people are living in it.

Again, a debit balance of £329 is high, but you don't say what your monthly payment is at the moment, so it's hard to tell if it's abnormally high.

Of course it's worrying to see large bills like this, but there may be a reasonable explanation.

You say you gave a reading in December, have you submitted one since? And when was the one before that?

Perhaps if you can tell us that, what your monthly direct debit is, and what your last two statements have shown as your balance, and I'm sure we may be able to help.

Regards

Stephen

Userlevel 1

Hi thank you for your quick reply, I love in a mid terraced 3 bed house but only me and my other half, my monthly payments are something like £58 but that’s for winter in summer it’s I want to say £35. I haven’t paid this ‘£190’ or what has now accumulated to ‘£329’ but I’m assuming this builds up to end Bill. What does the DR on Bill mean? Thank you for helping hope there is a reasonable explanation no I haven’t submitted one I know that also probably puts me at fault but I usually get notification to send one in haven’t had once since December. My electric is smart metre so don’t tend to worry about that but besides December last was think September.  My last two bills say £58.50 is what I owe then have there weird DR number and other figures. The last two DR numbers have been DR £329.89 then before that £237.26. 

thanks again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Aimee123 

Thanks for getting back.

The bad news is that DR means that your account is in debit.

Your direct debit payments are certainly in line with the size of your home.

Where gas is used for heating it's not unusual to go into debt on your account in January and February, but not usually to this extent. But then going up by £100 in the coldest month is not impossible. I would send in another reading for your gas immediately, and then ask for a review of your account. I'll check out how to do that, and post back.

In 'Balance & Payments' tap 'review my account now' - WattBot will collect some information from you, and pass this to the team to look into.

I should have explained - your direct debit is designed to pay your expected annual usage in monthly instalments - so some months you will use more energy than you have paid for, and in the summer you will use less, and the account evens out.

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi thank you for your quick reply, I love in a mid terraced 3 bed house but only me and my other half, my monthly payments are something like £58 but that’s for winter in summer it’s I want to say £35. I haven’t paid this ‘£190’ or what has now accumulated to ‘£329’ but I’m assuming this builds up to end Bill. What does the DR on Bill mean? Thank you for helping hope there is a reasonable explanation no I haven’t submitted one I know that also probably puts me at fault but I usually get notification to send one in haven’t had once since December. My electric is smart metre so don’t tend to worry about that but besides December last was think September.  My last two bills say £58.50 is what I owe then have there weird DR number and other figures. The last two DR numbers have been DR £329.89 then before that £237.26. 

thanks again 

hi @Aimee123 

Your readings are being estimated, it looks like they’ve glitched violently upwards for reasons unknown. Get a real reading in asap and see what the correction is.

Also, check the serial number on the front of the meter matches the one in your account (important).

Userlevel 1

Hiya 

thank you for your help sent in a real reading today and realised why I had gone in such increase! Last time sent reading I sent in the electric for the gas reading!! So was very silly human error have emailed pureplanet hope this gets sorted soon lol!! 

Phew. I think that will explain it @Aimee123. Don’t worry PP will sort it out for you. Thanks for posting an update here...

Hiya 

Don’t worry, I got close to doing that once. I realised just before I was about to press the submit button.