Solved

Has anyone else had a bill where the computer cannot subtract one meter reading from another correctly?

Userlevel 3

My first monthly bill from Pure Planet is equal to 6 months with any of my previous suppliers. The electricity bill shows an opening reading of 87838.7 subtracted from a closing reading of 88940.0 to get 5506.5kWh which is 5x what it should be, resulting in a charge of £851.21 for one months electricity in mid-summer! How can a computerised billing system make such an error and how can I trust anything they send me if their system can’t do basic maths? Just to add to the overbilling they have ignored the opening meter reading I sent which was 88326 so the usage was only 614kWh anyway. The email I sent over 2 weeks ago has never been answered.

icon

Best answer by Marc 23 July 2021, 11:25

View original

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.

If you log in, click 'help' at the bottom, then click 'Ask a question', Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

Then wait until you see the reply from Wattbot saying 'OK, I've passed our conversation to the team. Anything to add? Send it below and the team will see it.'

You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it 

please note it’s not a live-chat and it’ll be 2 or 3 working days before they’re able to reply.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the reply. I decided that was probably better than an email and sent a message that waythis morning, but I wondered whether anyone else had seen the same thing as it seems such a bizarre error.

Nope, seems bonkers to me @thunderbird6
give PP 3 working days and post back if they don’t sort it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@thunderbird6 

That is very very very very worrying because the consequences of such an error may be absolutely gigantic, like having to call in International Rescue do a full audit to check the error hasn’t affected anyone else. I can only hope it’s been caused by a very recent change to the billing software caused by Doc removing his specs and having a mental aberration as Tracy looked on, distracted by Lady P showing a bit too much leg….

I think we should offer a prize to the first person who works out the algorithm that produced that final number from those “readings”

Seems to be a factor of 5 in there!

Maybe @thunderbird6 selected the option for charge me 5 times more than I agreed box. Could be a MSE promo!?? 🤣

Hi @thunderbird6 

Just to add one thing, Pure Planet will almost always ‘ignore’ the opening reading you give - closing/opening readings when you switch supplier are verified by a third-party to ensure, at least in theory, that the closing reading for you ‘old’ account, and the ‘opening’ reading for your ‘new’ account are the same.

Pure Planet request opening readings, and photos of the meter, just in case the ‘verified reading’ is so far out that they have to raise a dispute.

Regards

Gwyndy

Opening estimate on your statement could be a clue, but how would that give just a factor of 5?

Userlevel 3

Hi @thunderbird6 

Just to add one thing, Pure Planet will almost always ‘ignore’ the opening reading you give - closing/opening readings when you switch supplier are verified by a third-party to ensure, at least in theory, that the closing reading for you ‘old’ account, and the ‘opening’ reading for your ‘new’ account are the same.

Pure Planet request opening readings, and photos of the meter, just in case the ‘verified reading’ is so far out that they have to raise a dispute.

Regards

Gwyndy

I can understand that except that the estimated reading used is LOWER than the OPENING reading for the last bill from my previous supplier, so who came up with it?. So the old supplier have ended up giving me a credit for electricity that they actually supplied and Pure Planet are charging me at a higher base rate for electricity that they never supplied. The net result being that I am paying more than I should for that electricity even without gross error of charging me at 5x the correct rate.

You can raise a dispute. It might take 12 weeks to resolve. But worth doing @thunderbird6 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@thunderbird6 

Is it more than 250kWh out? (the opening reading with PP compared to what it really was)

Userlevel 3

@thunderbird6

Is it more than 250kWh out? (the opening reading with PP compared to what it really was)

Yes it is 487kWh out

Hello @thunderbird6 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Thank you everyone for jumping in to help - it’s a good idea to contact the team in the way @Angelabikerbabe has suggested. I’d recommend sending a picture of your current meter reading into WattBot too - this will help the team to sort any read dispute that may be needed to correct the opening estimated reading. 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@thunderbird6

Yes it is 487kWh out

@thunderbird6

That’s good because it means you can dispute it. Be prepared for this to take many weeks if not a couple of months or longer.

Userlevel 3

I’ve had a response from WattBot this morning to say that a dispute has been raised regarding the discrepancy in the opening reading. However no answer yet as to why the bill is 5x out in the calculation of the kWh from the meter readings. Thanks to everyone who has responded with suggestions and help so far.

You’re welcome @thunderbird6. I’m glad to here a dispute has been raised for you!

I’ve flagged this with our billing team, and will keep you updated with any progress RE the wrong bill usage calculation! 

Looking forward to hearing how this happened...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

#metooasloaswellasincluding

I wonder if there’s a divide by 5 option too?  

Hey @Angelabikerbabe, you missed liking the first post in this thread!  😈

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Angelabikerbabe, you missed liking the first post in this thread!  😈

Well spotted @25 quid 🤣, can't really like my own tho!

Been done before! 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Been done before! 😉 

🤣😉😉

Userlevel 3

I’ve just been advised that the 5x kWh caluculation is “an error on our system”, but it’s hard to see how such an error can occur and only affect one person’s bill if the system is computerised.

Thank you for the update @thunderbird6! The system error is still being investigated - this’ll mean we can know for sure if its just affected your bill. I hope that brings some reassurance! 

What would be reassuring @Mads is for PP to share an incident report about how this happened. Transparency breeds friends… 😉 

Good morning @thunderbird6 

Just jumping on to let you know we've investigated it and it looks like it was an issue with the meter details we received during the switching process, so it seems like its an account specific issue, not a wider issue. The team are currently working on rectifying this for you and will be in touch with any updates!

I hope this helps!