Solved

Gas and Electric Cancellation

Hi,

I’ve cancelled my switch to Pure Planet and have received email confirmation from you to confirm my Gas and Electric with your company has now been cancelled. I have also contacted my bank to cancel my Direct Debit mandate with you, which they have done. However, I was advised to contact you and ask you to also cancel my Direct Debit from your end as, I was informed by my bank that you have an obligation to do so. Can you please confirm that you have cancelled my Direct Debit from your end?

Many thanks

Sue

icon

Best answer by woz 31 July 2020, 13:57

Hi sue. 

Once you have the cancel confirmation then there is nothing else for you to do. PP cant cancel the DD with your bank, only you can do this which you have already done. The banks only tell you to contact PP or whoever as a fail safe incase any money is outstanding, which there is not. PP wont ask for any money and the bank will not give it to them. 

@Jon1,  the bank is correct, the DD should always be cancelled with the receiving organisation. I agree that in practice cancelling at the bank end will prevent any further payments but the rules of the contract with a DD are that you are supposed to tell the receiving organisation not to try to collect any more payments, although many customers don’t do that.

View original

14 replies

Hi @SWE (Sue),

Sorry you’re not joining us here in the community. You need to tell Pure Planet themselves; this is their community forum.

If you have the App, tap the ☰ icon at top right and choose Get Help & Support, then Ask a Question and tell the Wattbot character your story…

Otherwise, try the same process on the website https://purepla.net/

Good luck!

Us locals here would love to know why you changed your mind about switching if you’d care to share...😊

Hi, 

thank you for your reply but unfortunately, everytime I click on help and support, chatbot no longer appears so I am unable to send them a message. I don’t know how else I can contact them other than via the community chat.

Best Regards

Sue

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi sue. 

Once you have the cancel confirmation then there is nothing else for you to do. PP cant cancel the DD with your bank, only you can do this which you have already done. The banks only tell you to contact PP or whoever as a fail safe incase any money is outstanding, which there is not. PP wont ask for any money and the bank will not give it to them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi sue. 

@Jon1,  the bank is correct, the DD should always be cancelled with the receiving organisation. I agree that in practice cancelling at the bank end will prevent any further payments but the rules of the contract with a DD are that you are supposed to tell the receiving organisation not to try to collect any more payments, although many customers don’t do that.

Thank you all for your help and time. Still currently unable to contact Pure Planet directly but really appreciate your input.

Thank you all for your help and time. Still currently unable to contact Pure Planet directly but really appreciate your input.

I suspect, but am not positive, that if you cancel your switch before the start date, you lose WattBot functionality - presumably because your account never finishes being set-up?

Can you check what you see when you log in, and you are using the correct email address?

Are you using the app, or the website?

If website, does it say ‘go to account’ or ‘get a quote’ in the red box top right?

Hi Gwyndy, thanks for your message. I am using the website and the red box top right says ‘get quote’ so, no doubt, you are correct that the WattBot functionality has been lost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeedy woz indeedy. 

I would presume that switching away or indeed cancellation of the signing up process is classed as giving sufficient notice to PP that you wish for any and all DD payments to also be cancelled once any outstanding debt is paid. So yes the bank is correct in saying to tell the other party to cancel DD collection but that process had alrready been carried out when the switch was cancelled.

Hi Jon, many thanks for your reply but according to my bank, although they have cancelled the DD; there is nothing stopping PP from starting it up again unless I get written confirmation that they have cancelled the DD from their end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Jon, many thanks for your reply but according to my bank, although they have cancelled the DD; there is nothing stopping PP from starting it up again unless I get written confirmation that they have cancelled the DD from their end.

hi @SWE no legitimate organisation would ever try to do that without asking you first but your bank is not stricly speaking correct and more to the point, should any organisation try do that (by attempting to set up the DD again)  you would have a cast-iron no questions asked DD guarantee where your bank would refund you immediately. 

Here are the rules:

from

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You’re not dealing with dodgy scammers here Sue, your moneys safe 👍

Thank you all for your responses. May I ask why PP sent me an email upon cancellation that stated ‘We'd also advise our Members to cancel any Direct Debit mandate with your bank’. The cancellation had already, apparently, been approved by PP but upon checking with my bank days later, it was still active until I stopped it. I have not had this issue with other suppliers. Other suppliers have stopped it from their end without me needing to contact my bank. My bank suggested that this was very cheeky of the supplier and that I should get written confirmation

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

PP can stop it from their end resulting in no attempt to collect the DD. 

They cannot instruct your bank to cancel or alter the DD instruction only you can do that. 

Some of the responses you say your bank have given you implies you need a new bank.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you all for your responses. May I ask why PP sent me an email upon cancellation that stated ‘We'd also advise our Members to cancel any Direct Debit mandate with your bank’. The cancellation had already, apparently, been approved by PP but upon checking with my bank days later, it was still active until I stopped it. I have not had this issue with other suppliers. Other suppliers have stopped it from their end without me needing to contact my bank. My bank suggested that this was very cheeky of the supplier and that I should get written confirmation

hi @SWE 

Probably a belt and braces suggestion as sometimes the timing of cancellation is slower with the originating company than the instant stop you’d get with the bank, if it’s near the collection date.