Solved

frustrated, anyone else had this problem, below is my email to pure plane.,

• 20 November 2020
  • 3 replies

“according to your figures we have used 11,094.5kw of electricity and 26,453kw of gas in the last 12 months!!! how can this be right, we,( 2 people),  live in a double glazed 3 bed semi detached house built in 1966, fitted with double glazing throughout, we have solar panels and loft insulation. My research shows that a typical 3 bed semi with 3 to 5  residents will use 2900kw of electricity and 12000kw of gas in a year, a large old 4 bedroom house will use 4300kw of electricity and 17000kw of gas, according to your figures we use more electricity that a 3 bed and 4 bedroom house combined and almost as much gas as a 3 bed and 4 bedroom house combined, this cannot be right, please respond asap”

icon

Best answer by woz 20 November 2020, 19:08

@RAFFZEUS

Your electricity  figures are well askew unless you’re doing something with electric heating that we don’t know about. (My guess is that is not  the case because of the gas consumption), My guess is that the solar generation is adding to the overall consumption not subtracting. There have been quite a few cases of this happening, google it

Have you checked?

You need to gather evidence, start by taking daily readings and estimate whether it’s overcast, bright, partly sunny or very sunny, keep a record. I  have little doubt that there is an issue with the electricity, I’d realistically expect less than 5000kWh with solar in your situation unless you’re charging a vehicle, or have a hot tub.?

Have you changed your incandescent bulbs to led ones?

The gas is high but believable depending on temperature of the house and boiler efficiency.

How many kWh is your boiler and how efficient is it (is it old?) If new it should be around 85% - 90%

Have you actually checked that the figures are what you’ve used?

Go to a 13 mo. old statement note the real cu.m reading from the meter if you have a real reading) then go to the same month a year (12 months) later, and get a reading. Subtract one from the other and multiply by 11.36. Does that match?

The gas is going to be much harder to pin down but I’d put it this way, if you’d said anywhere between 22 and 25,000 I’d have said it’s probably correct. If you ask for a meter check and it’s not faulty you may get charged.

You should also take daily gas readings with a note of the dates, the outside temp will have the biggest bearing on your consumption but it will give you a good start in figuring out what’s what

Forget the ofgem figures they are a guide only, I’m afraid your research is flawed..not a wide enough sample. I’ve never  met anyone in a house who has achieved that gas figure (I have known it in a mid floor flat); the electric figure is just about achievable in a careful 2-3 person small house, but even then it’s low.

I don’t work for PP

You don’t know who is to blame or what the problem is yet, so it’s a bit early for frustration.

PP will  only charge you from the meter readings for what they think you’ve used.

View original

3 replies

Hiya @RAFFZEUS

Yup, sounds high. Maybe try posting your actual readings (if you have them) and this community could help you.

“according to your figures we have used 11,094.5kw of electricity and 26,453kw of gas in the last 12 months!!! how can this be right, we,( 2 people),  live in a double glazed 3 bed semi detached house built in 1966, fitted with double glazing throughout, we have solar panels and loft insulation. My research shows that a typical 3 bed semi with 3 to 5  residents will use 2900kw of electricity and 12000kw of gas in a year, a large old 4 bedroom house will use 4300kw of electricity and 17000kw of gas, according to your figures we use more electricity that a 3 bed and 4 bedroom house combined and almost as much gas as a 3 bed and 4 bedroom house combined, this cannot be right, please respond asap”

Hi @RAFFZEUS 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community.

I would take the ‘Typical Domestic Consumption Values’ you researched with a large pinch of salt - they are the OFGEM calculated figures, which do not take into account your property’s age, or thermal efficiency, how much time you stay at home, or a number of other ‘personal variables’ - hence the word ‘typical.’

I can’t comment about gas, but my 1970s built 2 bed bungalow (doubled glazed, with extra loft insulation installed in 2018) with 2 residents (and a cat) uses 5954 kWh a year of electricity, and at least 500 litres (5330kWh) of Kerosene 28 (between 2005 and 2009 we were regularly using over 1300 litres (13858 kWh) a year)  - which must confuse the life out of OFGEM, never in over 15 years of living at this property has my electricity usage been below 4700kWh a year.

By ‘according to your figures’ are you saying Pure Planet’s estimates, or your own supplied meter readings?

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@RAFFZEUS

Your electricity  figures are well askew unless you’re doing something with electric heating that we don’t know about. (My guess is that is not  the case because of the gas consumption), My guess is that the solar generation is adding to the overall consumption not subtracting. There have been quite a few cases of this happening, google it

Have you checked?

You need to gather evidence, start by taking daily readings and estimate whether it’s overcast, bright, partly sunny or very sunny, keep a record. I  have little doubt that there is an issue with the electricity, I’d realistically expect less than 5000kWh with solar in your situation unless you’re charging a vehicle, or have a hot tub.?

Have you changed your incandescent bulbs to led ones?

The gas is high but believable depending on temperature of the house and boiler efficiency.

How many kWh is your boiler and how efficient is it (is it old?) If new it should be around 85% - 90%

Have you actually checked that the figures are what you’ve used?

Go to a 13 mo. old statement note the real cu.m reading from the meter if you have a real reading) then go to the same month a year (12 months) later, and get a reading. Subtract one from the other and multiply by 11.36. Does that match?

The gas is going to be much harder to pin down but I’d put it this way, if you’d said anywhere between 22 and 25,000 I’d have said it’s probably correct. If you ask for a meter check and it’s not faulty you may get charged.

You should also take daily gas readings with a note of the dates, the outside temp will have the biggest bearing on your consumption but it will give you a good start in figuring out what’s what

Forget the ofgem figures they are a guide only, I’m afraid your research is flawed..not a wide enough sample. I’ve never  met anyone in a house who has achieved that gas figure (I have known it in a mid floor flat); the electric figure is just about achievable in a careful 2-3 person small house, but even then it’s low.

I don’t work for PP

You don’t know who is to blame or what the problem is yet, so it’s a bit early for frustration.

PP will  only charge you from the meter readings for what they think you’ve used.