Solved

Fixed rate tarrif - any hidden charges?

• 25 October 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I am new to pure planet and have started paying £117 for 6 months and I think £78 for the other 6 months of the year.

I am wondering if I will be hit with an unexpected bill at the end of the year if I have exceeded my predicted usage?

Is it too good to be true to believe you can consume energy all you want and just pay your direct debit each month?

Any help guys would be great as I cannot find any answers online.

thanks!

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 25 October 2020, 14:30

Hi

You will only pay for the energy you use.

PP review accounts twice a year, so if you are using more than estimated they will increase your DDs, conversely, if you're using less they will decrease your DDs.

It is the rate per kwh that is fixed. Not the DDs. 

( I don't work for PP)

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

You will only pay for the energy you use.

PP review accounts twice a year, so if you are using more than estimated they will increase your DDs, conversely, if you're using less they will decrease your DDs.

It is the rate per kwh that is fixed. Not the DDs. 

( I don't work for PP)

Userlevel 1

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Do you know if there is anywhere in the contract that says this? 

I am struggling to find anywhere that says this officially in my app. I have 3 flat mates that are wanting proof that we won't be hit with a big exit bill

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

I'm sure this would've been explained in your welcome pack. 

But as I say, you won't be hit with a big bill, instead your DDs will increase. 

(If you leave PP tho, you will be charged £30 exit fee each for  electric and gas. Total £60)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just to add that you need to make sure you send in monthly meter readings as prompted by the APP.

This nice reminder will estimate your monthly statements usage which makes no difference month to month. If your monthly statements start to decrease credit and rises into unwanted debit this would show you are using more energy than perceived. Ask PP for a review rather that wait…..

Go to the APP or online account via Balance and Payments, scroll down to review my account and follow the steps and a PP account will respond/advise.

Some members including myself send reads in when prompted by PP which is great. And then if remembered, send meter reads 3 days later on the statement date (joining anniversary), so that statements are not estimated, but it makes no difference and just a mind set.

Statements are not bills and just keep an eye on the monthly credit debit balance which will be correct with your submitted meter reading disciplines.

All the best

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Apologies for butting in here.

@Bhbutler95 I’ve read through this thread and it occurs to me that even after the answers there is still some potential misunderstanding here.

Your original question was that you were worried that you could get hit with a big bill.

My answer would have been differently phrased although the other replies are helpful.

My answer is yes you will be hit with a big bill* if you drastically exceed the usage you’ve been quoted for. The quote is only for what you are expected to use over a year.

If your usage was greatly in excess of that even  after 6 months you could end up with a very large negative statement balance which you would have to pay back  at once (or within weeks) if you left PP or moved out.

*What worried me about the replies was that you may be under the impression that PP will just increase the direct debit and all will be well, but don’t forget that if you go way over usage it’s a double whammy,. Over whatever period is agreed not only will you need to pay back the  statement balance but if staying you would need a larger DD to cover the extra usage ongoing too. If you leave you would be expected to pay it all when you received the final bill.

This is how almost every energy company works; you already have it in writing, the quote you agreed to specifies the amount of energy you’ve been quoted for. If you agreed to the quote thinking that unlimited energy was the case then I’m a little bemused by the fact that you could ever assume it was unlimited. What gave you that idea? 

It’s fixed rate not fixed cost.

(I don’t work for PP either!)

Userlevel 1

I am speaking on behalf of 3 other people who also live in my house and some have never had to sort energy bills before. I have payed the bills in past by recieving the bill and paying the amount we have used quarterly, so direct debit is new to us. We're just learning how all this works and having read PP terms and conditions and the welcome pack, it is not stated clearly anywhere that what you said would be the case. Just trying our best. Thank you for the helpful information

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

From what you're saying it sounds like you have lived with these other 3 flatmates before?

So , if you have bills from your previous supplier for a whole year, and add up the KWHs for the year for gas and electric to find out your yearly usage. ( if you haven't already)

And if you have used these figures when you switched to PP, then the DD amount would be pretty accurate as to what you'd be expected to use. ( unless your flatmates usage increased greatly from what they used last year)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Bhbutler95 

Welcome to the community by the way.

Thanks, for replying, my reply wasn’t intended to be critical, sorry if it sounded so.  Perhaps some of the basic stuff needs more explanation. I just didn’t want you referring back to the community if you found yourself in difficulty in the future and saying well they told me I wouldn’t be hit with a big bill.

Someone else posted a similar comment a few weeks ago so the idea is obviously coming from somewhere where there insufficient explanation for some people.

Only one of you will be paying, your statement balance will vary every month depending on how much energy you use, what you need to do is keep half an eye on the balance and make sure it doesn’t go too far out of kilter. In an ideal world it would always be around a months average payment when you’ve paid the direct debit, but in the real world it will be up and down like (insert your own metaphor).

I would suggest it’s better to all put a little extra into the kitty and share it out at the end rather than getting an unexpected bill at the end. (Keep a record or spreadsheet)

I am speaking on behalf of 3 other people who also live in my house and some have never had to sort energy bills before. I have payed the bills in past by recieving the bill and paying the amount we have used quarterly, so direct debit is new to us. We're just learning how all this works and having read PP terms and conditions and the welcome pack, it is not stated clearly anywhere that what you said would be the case. Just trying our best. Thank you for the helpful information

Hi @Bhbutler95 

Welcome to the community, I’m not sure if anything additional in this thread, but someone else asked a similar question recently 

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/usage-11351

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much everyone for your help. That link is very useful. Thankfully I'm not the only one that has the same worries! I wish it was a little clearer in the fine print as I've been over and over it trying to wrap my head round it.

Thanks again!