Solved

Estimated Bills

• 29 June 2021
  • 7 replies

My estimated gas reading for May 2021(9089), is higher than my actual reading for June (9081). Will this cause any problems with the billing system or should I have considered submitting a  reading just above last months estimate?

icon

Best answer by woz 29 June 2021, 14:41

My estimated gas reading for May 2021(9089), is higher than my actual reading for June (9081). Will this cause any problems with the billing system or should I have considered submitting a  reading just above last months estimate?

hi @KevandLynn 

to answer the question, no it won’t (and the difference is trivial),  just to say it will affect the balance you see on the statement, but it won’t affect your direct debit and the next time a true reading is submitted it will then correct the difference.

As said try to submit readings once a month, preferably a couple of days or a day before your statement date, that way your statement balance will  be at  it’s most accurate at the time the statement is produced. If you submit x number of days before the statement date those last x days will be estimated up until the statement date. That’s how it works.

Post back if I’ve confused you!

View original

7 replies

Hi @KevandLynn and welcome,

I think that is a very small difference that you don’t need to worry about. It won’t alter your payments. Just send a reading when you get chance and do so at least 3 or 4 times a year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi.

If you don't have a smart meter , it is best if you submit readings every month when asked to by PP. That way you not only get accurate statements but it gives PP a view of your actual usage month to month. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @KevandLynn 

to answer the question, no it won’t (and the difference is trivial),  just to say it will affect the balance you see on the statement, but it won’t affect your direct debit and the next time a true reading is submitted it will then correct the difference.

As said try to submit readings once a month, preferably a couple of days or a day before your statement date, that way your statement balance will  be at  it’s most accurate at the time the statement is produced. If you submit x number of days before the statement date those last x days will be estimated up until the statement date. That’s how it works.

Post back if I’ve confused you!

I see I’m outvoted. 😊

But as a minimum make sure to send enough actual readings to keep your payments representative of your usage. Remember your account is only reviewed every six months or so or on request. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I see I’m outvoted. 😊

But as a minimum make sure to send enough actual readings to keep your payments representative of your usage. Remember your account is only reviewed every six months or so or on request. 

I’d insist on a recount, the result was stolen...

I would have expected a consolidated statement to effectively redo the May estimate so that it fits with the actual June value. That is what has happened to me in the past.

Yeah, those consolidated statements just seem too complicated to me!