Solved

Demand for payment

• 29 October 2020
  • 6 replies

I'm getting demands for payments from my last supplier since you recently opened a dispute with them. The dispute was over the fact they had overcharged me for using drastically more energy than I had actually used.

I should be getting a refund if anything instead they are saying I have to pay more and this is down to you.

What is going on here?

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 29 October 2020, 16:05

I don’t understand this.

If Supplier A (your previous supplier) have been told by:
‘Supplier B’ (Pure Planet) that:
Supplier A’ have charged you for energy they did not supply 
Why is it the fault of ‘Supplier B’ (Pure Planet) that your previous supplier is chasing you for money ‘Supplier B’ (Pure Planet) say you shouldn’t have to pay to ‘Supplier A (your previous supplier)’.

?

Surely the blame here lies with Supplier A (your previous supplier) - who are trying to charge you for energy they did not supply?

Pure Planet, at worse, is defending your interests by disputing your previous suppliers false claim.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@CraigT Have you communicated with your last supplier? If not you should, preferably in writing (email etc.) or log the calls.

Did the opening readings which were used by PP match the closing readings used by your last supplier?

I don’t understand this.

If Supplier A (your previous supplier) have been told by:
‘Supplier B’ (Pure Planet) that:
Supplier A’ have charged you for energy they did not supply 
Why is it the fault of ‘Supplier B’ (Pure Planet) that your previous supplier is chasing you for money ‘Supplier B’ (Pure Planet) say you shouldn’t have to pay to ‘Supplier A (your previous supplier)’.

?

Surely the blame here lies with Supplier A (your previous supplier) - who are trying to charge you for energy they did not supply?

Pure Planet, at worse, is defending your interests by disputing your previous suppliers false claim.

Oh...I thought I was sending a message here not creating a community post.

I’ve been in touch with the previous supplier and they’re being unhelpful and saying its due to a dispute having been raised that they are charging more, despite this dispute being because the initial starting reading was drastically higher than my actual reading.

I just moved into this house at the end of May having bought it at the beginning of May and my gas meter wasn’t working until after I switched so I suspect they may have been initially counting my meter as being working as standard for the whole year before my move in, not being aware the house was empty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @CraigT 

How long was the house empty, you shouldn't be responsible for bills before your acquisition date beginning of May, but  it relies on the previous occupiers informing them that they were moving. If they think the house was occupied they will still charge a standing charge even if no usage

I think it was empty for a whole year before I moved in.

I’ve already paid way over the odds for the house being empty and owned by me for a month when I moved in. Didn't see it as worth fighting as it seemed it would just be a one off to be rid of them. But that they’re now wanting to charge me even more despite the meter reading substantially less than predicted is really going over the top.  As said I expected if I heard from them at all it to be about a refund.

But it seems Pure Planet’s dispute has led to them wanting to charge me more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@CraigT as said I think the first thing you need to do is to communicate with the supplier (or email or whatever communication is appropriate)

They can’t charge you for the time you never owned the property,  presumably you can prove when that was, did you take any photos of the meters? The readings won’t have caught up so you could take photos now.

If they won’t budge threaten them with an ombudsman complaint. You may need to follow it through…

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/complain-about-your-gas-or-electricity-bill-or-supplier