Solved

Credit

• 15 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi I don't understand why my credit is getting higher each month my direct debits reduce in march so where will my credit go if I'm paying my bill where does my credit go to why can't it be taken off my monthly payments
icon

Best answer by woz 15 February 2020, 16:52

hi happychick
I'm assuming when I answer this that PP have more or less up to date readings for you.
Your credit is increasing each month because you're using less energy that PP or you thought you would use. That said it isn't way out, looking at your figures after the cold period I'd sort of expect it to be a little bit lower than it is now. I'll come back to that in a min...
Your payments don't reduce in March, they reduce for the April payment. Given that it's been a bit warmer my guess, looking at your winter figure is that your direct debit for the colder months could be about £20 to £25 less (that's my own guess based on limited info not PP's)
To answer the question directly, your credit is there to pay the following month energy costs.

Effectively you can get it taken off your monthly payments because you have 2 options, you can get a part refund and a reduction in dd or a combination of both.
Reading between the lines here I think your issue is seeing that large figure of what is effectively your money sitting there in your account. It need not be so large but it all depends on your personal viewpoint, you could run at a lower statement balance but there is no guarantee of what the weather will do, you could end up paying too little, and that might suit you better from a happiness perspective..
The thing you need to remember is unless you've changed the date of the direct debit, when you get your statement you'll see the balance including the payment intended to pay the coming month's energy costs.
It's a bit of an art rather than a science getting the balance exactly right for all customers, but in your case I'd get a small refund and reduce your payments and review it in about 3 months. (If that hasn't already happened)
Does that help at all?
Happychick;48449:
Hi I don't understand why my credit is getting higher each month my direct debits reduce in march so where will my credit go if I'm paying my bill where does my credit go to why can't it be taken off my monthly payments3582
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Happychick

​​​​​​​As we pay in advance for our energy, we should always be an average monthly payment in credit, in you case £139, and it appears that the February payment has just been taken. Any amount over the amount of your monthly statement will be carried forward to the next month, and your account will be reviewed every six months to ensure that your payment is keeping track of your usage, which can possibly result in a reduced direct ( or increase ).

​​​​​​​Looking at your screenshot again, it would appear that you have had an account review already, although we can't see what it says.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi happychick
I'm assuming when I answer this that PP have more or less up to date readings for you.
Your credit is increasing each month because you're using less energy that PP or you thought you would use. That said it isn't way out, looking at your figures after the cold period I'd sort of expect it to be a little bit lower than it is now. I'll come back to that in a min...
Your payments don't reduce in March, they reduce for the April payment. Given that it's been a bit warmer my guess, looking at your winter figure is that your direct debit for the colder months could be about £20 to £25 less (that's my own guess based on limited info not PP's)
To answer the question directly, your credit is there to pay the following month energy costs.

Effectively you can get it taken off your monthly payments because you have 2 options, you can get a part refund and a reduction in dd or a combination of both.
Reading between the lines here I think your issue is seeing that large figure of what is effectively your money sitting there in your account. It need not be so large but it all depends on your personal viewpoint, you could run at a lower statement balance but there is no guarantee of what the weather will do, you could end up paying too little, and that might suit you better from a happiness perspective..
The thing you need to remember is unless you've changed the date of the direct debit, when you get your statement you'll see the balance including the payment intended to pay the coming month's energy costs.
It's a bit of an art rather than a science getting the balance exactly right for all customers, but in your case I'd get a small refund and reduce your payments and review it in about 3 months. (If that hasn't already happened)
Does that help at all?
Happychick;48449:
Hi I don't understand why my credit is getting higher each month my direct debits reduce in march so where will my credit go if I'm paying my bill where does my credit go to why can't it be taken off my monthly payments3582