Solved

Charged more in the Winter?

• 24 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, I was referred to this Pure Planet energy site via MoneySupermarket which apparently was finding me a great CHEAPER TARIFF elsewhere from Scottish Power pay monthly credit smart metre which were charging me a direct debit of £90 dual gas & electricity a month even know I stay alone in a small 2 bed flat and I loved what I was seeing bon this little planet site,  thought it looked really cool n  was promising until I read my new prices per month on direct debit, use (at planet) are going to be charging my bank account £94 per month(on dual again like Scottish Power)  from October - April then it comes Doon to £76 until September,so basically if i switched I'm paying at least £24 odds extra for most of the year ,so I'm sitting here in disbelief that I was even transferred here ,the customer service on planet I have to say is astonishingly pathetic, customer service are always closed on phone, you go round in circles online trying to find out answers when all I want is an Agent to CALL ME to discuss my account,after getting absolutely nowhere I cancelled my switch, cheers anyway Planet , George James Fisher

icon

Best answer by Duppy 24 October 2020, 19:51

Hi George, Pure Planet is a digital company and dies not have any call centres, all communication is via Wattbot in the help and support section of your account.

When comparing costs, you need to compare the unit cost per kWh plus any standing charge ( or membership fee as PP call it).

Yor costs quoted above are £4 per month more in winter, but £14 per month cheaper in summer, a total saving of £60 per year

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi George, Pure Planet is a digital company and dies not have any call centres, all communication is via Wattbot in the help and support section of your account.

When comparing costs, you need to compare the unit cost per kWh plus any standing charge ( or membership fee as PP call it).

Yor costs quoted above are £4 per month more in winter, but £14 per month cheaper in summer, a total saving of £60 per year

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi george 

I don’t work for PP

I’ve flagged your post as you’ve used your personal email as your username and this is a public community so that’s not recommended.

It would appear that you’ve unfortunately misunderstood  (sorry to be blunt) and I believe  you have also misquoted in your post because the figures make no sense* 

You would have saved money over the year, if we assume you would use the same amount of energy for both and it was the amount of energy you were quoted for (you pay for what you use so if you use more or less than quoted for you’ll pay more or less over a year)

With your original supplier you would pay 12x£90 over a year =£1080

If your PP winter payment was £94  your summer would be £62.67 NOT £76 as you’ve said. Assuming that’s correct your total for the year would be  6x£94 or £564 plus 6x£62.67  or£376 total £940 vs £1080 FOR ONE YEAR

If  PP’s payment was split into 12 equal payments (you don’t have that option) it would be £78.33 vs £90 with your current supplier.

If you’re correct about the summer payment being £76 then the winter payment would have been £114, which would put your Annual at £1140. 

Which is it?  Can you post a screenshot of the quote?

Hi @George J and welcome to the Community, thanks for posting! 

Just to let you know I’ve edited your username to remove your email address - it’s best not to post personal info here as this is a public forum. I’ve also moved your post to its own, new, thread, as it was about a new topic :thumbsup:

Looks like you’ve received some really helpful advice from @Duppy about calculating the overall savings :slight_smile:  

We charge a little more in the colder, winter months, and a little less in the summer months to reflect average usage patterns and to help avoid Members building up a large credit/debit over the year. I hope that makes sense! 

Your monthly payments are also outlined when confirming your switch, in your Welcome Pack email, and the ‘balance and payments’ section of your account. 

We’re a digital-first supplier, we don’t have a call centre. You may find our FAQs about getting in touch and managing your account helpful! 

Hope that helps?