Solved

Changed my mind and not switched

• 16 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Yet a DD was taken on the 16th October for £103.57, when will this be refunded?

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 16 October 2020, 19:36

Hi @AdrianB AdrianB

This can happen and it rather depends when exactly you cancelled, it takes at least 3 full working days to set up a direct debit, and at least 3 full working days to process any future payments (the recommended lead notification time is actually 10 working days.)

Therefore, so far as I understand the very basic operating principals of the Direct Debit system:
If you cancelled anytime after Friday 2nd October, it is likely that it would have been too late for Pure Planet to cancel the Direct Debit, if you cancelled on, or after, Friday 9th October, it was definitely too late for Pure Planet to cancel the Direct Debit.

Your refund, for similar reasons, is unlikely to appear before Thursday 25th October at the very earliest, and possibly not until after Friday 30th October.

In both cases, this assumes Pure Planet were able to action the processes on the same day you requested them, which as Pure Planet use a third-party provider ‘GoCardless’ is not something that can be guaranteed.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @AdrianB 

When you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet but to their customers - who are often a helpful bunch! 

When you switch, the final action is that your first direct debit is taken, so I fear your switch may be complete. 

This FAQ explains more

https://community.purepla.net/switching-supplier-30/cancel-switch-10307

Do post back with further questions and there will be plenty of people to help.

Stephen

PurePlanet already agreed that I have not switched as I cancelled within the 14 days, I guess I have to take this up with my Bank as there is no way of communicating with PurePlanet!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not entirely true! If you cancelled within 14 days, then obviously you want a refund - which I suspect is underway. - @Nataly may well be able to help. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Regards

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@AdrianB 

hi Adrian

you can reverse it at the bank with no issues, however this may lead to some confusion at the PP end if they’ve already processed the refund. (read on)

I know this sounds harsh, I’m putting my moral judgement hat on here, not stating a definitive process ,if you cancelled in good time with several  working days until your switch date  then PP should never have taken the DD, so it’s their problem if they process the refund and then ask you to pay it back, it’s your money after all, however if you cancelled at the last minute it’s not unreasonable to cut them some slack to process the refund.

Harsh but fair? 

Hi @AdrianB AdrianB

This can happen and it rather depends when exactly you cancelled, it takes at least 3 full working days to set up a direct debit, and at least 3 full working days to process any future payments (the recommended lead notification time is actually 10 working days.)

Therefore, so far as I understand the very basic operating principals of the Direct Debit system:
If you cancelled anytime after Friday 2nd October, it is likely that it would have been too late for Pure Planet to cancel the Direct Debit, if you cancelled on, or after, Friday 9th October, it was definitely too late for Pure Planet to cancel the Direct Debit.

Your refund, for similar reasons, is unlikely to appear before Thursday 25th October at the very earliest, and possibly not until after Friday 30th October.

In both cases, this assumes Pure Planet were able to action the processes on the same day you requested them, which as Pure Planet use a third-party provider ‘GoCardless’ is not something that can be guaranteed.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

Hey @AdrianB 

Looks like you’ve received really good advice from other Members - @Gwyndy is spot on with the timings issue! 

You can get in touch with the team on the PP app by tapping ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’, or you could reply to your cancellation email to let the team know about the refund and make sure this is being processed for you.