Solved

Cannot enter meter reading (says too many digits)

• 15 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Cannot enter meter reading (says too many digits). I have now send messages via Wattbott for more than a week. What can I do now?

Nobody is replying. I started regretting switching to Pure Planet

icon

Best answer by Nataly 21 October 2020, 16:54

Hi @MorningLament 

Ok, this is a bit complicated so sorry for the info overload! I hope this helps :relaxed: .

If a meter has previously been changed, what should happen is that the national gas database used by all UK suppliers is updated, to reflect the new meter’s information - for example how many digits the meter readings should be, and if the readings are recorded in M3 or Ft3. 

What can sometimes happen is either the database isn’t updated at all, or with some big suppliers they update an internal database and the national database doesn’t update. 

This can cause issues whenever you decide to switch supplier, which seems to have happened in this case! It sounds like the Member Services team want to make sure your meter details are completely correct - this would also prevent you encountering an issue like this when switching supplier in future. 

By doing this work they’re ensuring your details are correctly recorded, and that your closing/ opening readings are corrected to use your own reading instead of an estimate moving forward. The estimate being used is based off an independent third party verification - and will have been returned off the back of the meter details being incorrect. 

I hope that helps explain! :thumbsup:

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @MorningLament 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community! Let's see if your fellow customers can make you happier about joining Pure Planet!! 

First, does this link help at all?

Second, is it your initial readings you are trying to send, or have you been with Pure Planet for more than a month? Or to put it another way, have you ever been able to send in meter readings?

Third, to get a specific answer from a team member via Wattbot, you need to start by saying message the team. They are currently dealing with lots of enquiries, but promise to answer within two or three working days. 

But if you answer my first two questions, I think you'll have an answer from your fellow customers within an hour or two.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

First:

According to the link provided, I should report a 5-digit reading from the gas meter, I get the message “too many digits”. Therefore, the link does not help.

Second:

I am a new customer, I was able to send electricity readings, but not gas. I was sent 10 days ago a mail to submit my initial readings. As said, electricity reading was accepted, gas reading was not accepted.

Third:

I have done this (as you said), Wattbot has informed me that the team has been contacted. More than a week has passed.

Hi @MorningLament 

Welcome to the community! 

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

I was going to link to the FAQ about reading meters too, but I see @stephenrand has done so already!

Our team’s really busy but they will respond to your chat. It was received on 12 Oct so shouldn’t be too long now.

A couple of other thingsI can suggest  - make sure you’re not entering any numbers to the right of the decimal point. And also make sure you’re not converting the reading into kWh, as we do that for you.

(Lovely username btw. A bit sad, but v poetic!)

This is getting ridiculous:

The team has replied that supposedly my old supplier has not recorded the exchange of a gas meter. (Keep in mind, the exchange of the meter happened a long time ago and I had no problems submitting readings), and that it would take 14 weeks for PurePlanet to do so. Of course ,this is my first reading and I need it as I need to receive my final bill from the old supplier, but PP refuses to accept it...

When I enquired about that, PP said no problem send us a picture of the meter reading and we will update it (although I had sent one a couple of days before...). Bear in mind that  every communication takes days until PP replies, because there is no way to get them on the phone! Anyway, I send a new picture and they reply after a day: hmm, your meter has  not moved as much as we expected and I get today an email that PP are going to estimate my opening reading. YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF MY METER WHY DO YOU WANT TO ESTIMATE THE READING???

This is by far the worst supplier I have dealt with. Ever. I moved to PP for the attractive price but their way of handling business is nothing but atrocious. I will try to switch away from them as soon as possible. Please, if you are a customer of PP, make sure that others know about your experience--I will try to inform as many other people as possible. We need to protect each other!

Hi @MorningLament 

Ok, this is a bit complicated so sorry for the info overload! I hope this helps :relaxed: .

If a meter has previously been changed, what should happen is that the national gas database used by all UK suppliers is updated, to reflect the new meter’s information - for example how many digits the meter readings should be, and if the readings are recorded in M3 or Ft3. 

What can sometimes happen is either the database isn’t updated at all, or with some big suppliers they update an internal database and the national database doesn’t update. 

This can cause issues whenever you decide to switch supplier, which seems to have happened in this case! It sounds like the Member Services team want to make sure your meter details are completely correct - this would also prevent you encountering an issue like this when switching supplier in future. 

By doing this work they’re ensuring your details are correctly recorded, and that your closing/ opening readings are corrected to use your own reading instead of an estimate moving forward. The estimate being used is based off an independent third party verification - and will have been returned off the back of the meter details being incorrect. 

I hope that helps explain! :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@MorningLament

Thanks for your reply, the only instance of a meter reading being limited to 4 digits is when a gas meter measures in cu ft (x100) rather than cu.m. That would be an old gas meter which it would seem you don’t have or at least haven’t had for some considerable time. 

As I see it the most likely scenario is that PP have the wrong meter. (It could be a number glitch at their end,, if the database hasn’t been updated for a long while and all of your previous switches show the correct meter then it’s unlikely to be the wrong info in the database.)

Have you checked that the serial number of the meter PP say you have actually matches what’s on the front of the meter?

This thread has been closed after it was flagged by community members as breaking house rules.

Here’s a link to our general community guidelines which has a further link to the terms and conditions of posting in this community.