Solved

1000 kwh as single occupant

Hello guys,

I think my electricity meter is wrong. Either someone is stealing my power or it is faulty.

From 1st march to 16 of April. you counted 1000kWh.

Crazy number right? For a single occupant in 1 bedroom flat. 
You want me to pay 170 pounds per this 😭

Please help.

Thank you, Lucia

icon

Best answer by woz 19 April 2021, 16:52

@Lucia

is it from when you moved in? If so they may have the opening reading incorrect and are asking you to pay for the electricity used by the previous user. 

If you don’t have the readings when you moved in you should be able to get an approx. idea by  reading the meter daily over a few days and seeing what your average daily use is.

Use wattbot (help&support>ask a Q.)to send a message to the team querying your bill, type message the team then your query. bot replies instant, human replies in 2-3 working days, it should tell you your message is passed to the team.

To add that if your heating is electric the figure may well be correct or not that far out. If you haven’t used much heating I’d expect a figure of perhaps up to 5 kWh a day tops so perhaps 220kWh

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi ,
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

Are you seeing the 1000kwh from A recent statement? The dates seem a bit odd, more than 1 month. Just wondering. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Lucia

is it from when you moved in? If so they may have the opening reading incorrect and are asking you to pay for the electricity used by the previous user. 

If you don’t have the readings when you moved in you should be able to get an approx. idea by  reading the meter daily over a few days and seeing what your average daily use is.

Use wattbot (help&support>ask a Q.)to send a message to the team querying your bill, type message the team then your query. bot replies instant, human replies in 2-3 working days, it should tell you your message is passed to the team.

To add that if your heating is electric the figure may well be correct or not that far out. If you haven’t used much heating I’d expect a figure of perhaps up to 5 kWh a day tops so perhaps 220kWh

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Lucia 

Is your meter situated inside your flat, or is it in a communal area.

Check the serial number on your statement with the number on the meter to make sure the correct one has been switched

Hello Guys, thank you very helpful.
Yes, heating was on a little bit but not in the evening and not all the time.
I would expect 5kWh a day too.
I am now testing it and even asked the maintenance guy to lower the temperature of water heating.

Thank you.
PS: It seems to me that some neighbour is charging his Tesla on my account :(

Hello Guys,

One more question. Purepla shows on their website this infographic. I still feel either they do not say truth here or something is very wrong. My flat is even smaller than 2 bedroom one. It is small one bed.

Hello Guys,

One more question. Purepla shows on their website this infographic. I still feel either they do not say truth here or something is very wrong. My flat is even smaller than 2 bedroom one. It is small one bed.

The infographic is based upon an OFGEM mandated value, not incidentally a value I agree with, but it is supposed to be used to ensure that if you go to any two providers and say ‘I have this type of home’ the ‘Annual Estimated Cost’ is based on the same energy consumption.
These figures are called  Typical Domestic Consumption Values and contain a number of, shall we say, ‘assumptions.’

Hello @Gwyndy thank you for your reply. 

I tried an easy mathematics. 

If we suppose that their bill is correct then my billing could end like this.

6 winter cold months: (counting 1000kWh monthly)

I am suspected to use then 6000 kWh per this period

6 summer warm months: (let's say I use 500kWh monthly) so per 6 months it will be 3000kWh

In total per 12 months they will charge me for what 9000kWh? 🙈 Really sorry I am not an owner of mansion and 3 electric cars. 

If there is someone who studied or is experienced in energy numbers I would love to hear your thoughts.

Additionally if they are right then their infographic is totally wrong, not just a little bit.

But I still hope that my smart meter is broken or something and I would not be charged these unrealistic numbers.

Hello, can someone from Purepla reply my email and watboot. I checked in the morning and during night it has taken 6 kWh. Per 8 hours. 

Please reply me promptly, because I will not bare next 200 pounds bill for your faulty devices. 

Thank you, L.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.

if you go to the app and click on the
☰ menu at the top, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 

Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

Then wait until you see the reply from Wattbot saying 'OK, I've passed our conversation to the team. Anything to add? Send it below and the team will see it.'

You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it 

please note it’s not a live-chat and it’ll be 2 or 3 working days before they’re able to reply.

I understand Angela, but this requires more swift response. As I am loosing money every single day.

. As I am loosing money every single day.

Hi @Lucia 

Arguably, you aren't, something is obviously incorrect, and when it's sorted you should get.a recalculated statement for the time since the issue began.

Hey @Lucia 

Just to let you know I’ve replied to your direct message. 

Our Member Services team will absolutely look into this with you - I’d definitely recommend sending them photos of your meters. The best way to get in touch with them is through ‘ask a question’ - @woz and @Angelabikerbabe have provided really helpful info on that, too!

I also wanted to reassure you that your payments are collected by a set Direct Debit each month - so an extra large payment wouldn’t suddenly be taken. If there’s found to be an issue with your meter, your account balance will also be reviewed (spot on from @Gwyndy!). 

Hi @Lucia 

May I repeat the questions that I can’t seem to find any answers for:

‘From 1st march to 16 of April. you counted 1000kWh.’

Where has that figure come from, have you received a statement from Pure Planet?

If you have received a statement, are any of the figures followed by ‘Estimate’?

Have you provided readings to Pure Planet since you moved in, if so do those readings appear on the statement?

‘6 winter cold months: (counting 1000kWh monthly)’
According to your opening statement it was actually 1000 kWh (which seems an oddly rounded figure to me, probably an estimate) for 47 days - or roughly 21 kWh per day in the winter - we live in a two bedroom oil-fired flat, and are currently running at 18 kWh per day, so I’m not willing to discredit 21kWh as ‘impossible’ should you have electricity for your heating.

However I do still believe that something is incorrect in your figure, whether that be:

You’ve been linked to the wrong meter.

Your statement has been seriously overestimated.

Something else.

We have yet to determine.

Hello @Gwyndy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am testing it every day now. Taking up figures what are on the metre.

Reply to what you mention above: Yes but your flat is 2 bedroom one plus you probably live there with more people. So I still think my bill is high.

I think the best would be to ask pureplanet where is mistake.

Thank you all for help.

Hello Guys, 

My landlord and agent rejected to help me with this issue and I am dealing currently with Pureplanet slow and ineffective customer service. I am hopeless. Every day I am loosing my money as there is something wrong either meter or boiler. So I am not turning on water heating or heating. I live in a flat with 17 degrees and cold water now.

I do not understand the point they are fully online. I have big issue and they do take every time to respond so long.

Guys, I need to speak to guy named Matthew today.

@Nataly can you please ask him to give me call?

Thank you, 

Greetings, Lucia

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @Lucia 

You need to  get some solid facts.

First some questions

How is your flat heated?

How is your water heated?

Is your meter in your flat or in a communal area?

Do you have a fan heater and/or a kettle? (you’ll need somethings that have a high consumption so that you can test and identify the meter)

How are Pure Planet getting your meter readings? Are you sending them readings or is it a smart meter sending them automatically?

You need to identify your meter and then take readings twice a day for at least a week to establish what’s going on. 

Given what you’ve written you should do that with the heating and hot water on and then with it off, just make a note of which applies to the readings taken, perhaps do 2 days with and 2 without to start with.

Have you done either of those and are you sure your meter is the one connected to your flat?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello, can someone from Purepla reply my email and watboot. I checked in the morning and during night it has taken 6 kWh. Per 8 hours. 

Please reply me promptly, because I will not bare next 200 pounds bill for your faulty devices. 

Thank you, L.

@Lucia

That’s very high. Was the heating and hot water on during that period?

That averages at 750W an hour, what was switched on?

Is there any security or hallway lighting on which might be charged to your flat?

At this stage you have no evidence that the meter is at fault and as said you need to identify the meter is attached to your flat and do some sensible tests. This may take a while, I understand your frustration but you need to be logical in the way you investigate. If PP come and check the meter and it’s found to be OK you could be liable for the cost of checking, so it’s worth spending some time and effort to eliminate everything else.

Hi @Lucia 

Apologies for the lack of reply from me, I’ve been off until today! 

Thanks @woz for jumping in with further advice and questions. :thumbsup:

@Lucia I’ve checked this out with our Member Services team - they’ve let me know Matthew spoke with you on the phone on 28 April, and has followed that up with a couple of emails. 

The suspicion is that your boiler may be faulty, and/or that you have/had an immersion heater switched on - they can use a lot of energy. There’s more detailed info in the emails from the Member Services team - you can reply to those directly if you have any more questions, or get any further with the investigations. :slight_smile: