Your favourite apps?

• 21 January 2021
  • 21 replies

Hi everyone :smiley:

Just looking for some appspiration (:drum:  sorry)… they’re a great way to find new things to do/ keep entertained in lockdown, so any recommendations are welcome! 

(I’m sure Candy Crush would make an appearance for @Bev :wink: )

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not any more our Nat, it’s gone to app heaven, they got too greedy, it was no longer fun to play, sadly. 

Funny you starting this thread, as I’m soooooo all about decluttering apps at mo, and focusing on getting rid of non essential stuff, and I’m truly finding that altho we have all this time indoors now, I feel I have less hours in the day! 🙀🤷‍♀️. Crazy, I know, but true. So finding myself simply sticking to iplayer, ITV Hub, All4 and the like👍👏, I do enjoy PEAK brain games but nowhere near as often as I once played. 

In all honesty, my most used, most fun, app is deffo PP 😂😂😂😂but that’d be a busmans holiday for you Nat 🚃🤣🤣🤣🤣👎

Not all necessarily ‘entertaining.’

Bazooka Boy - akin to worms/angry birds - but with a boy and a bazooka - free to play, but lots of ads.

Dulux Visualizer - helpful for people like @Nataly if you’re trying to decide on paint colours.

EBook Droid - PDF Viewer

Get Me Out - a game composed of the puzzle you see for Homescapes etc. - free to play, but lots of ads.

NCP Car Park Finder - as much use as a chocolate fireguard at the moment, but its day will come.

Words with Friends - or as I call it, the game I forget to play until someone nudges me.

A couple I’m not even sure if I still need:

Call Meter 3G - Keeps track of your calls/data usage to help you avoid going over any cap.

SMS Backup and restore.

Not any more our Nat, it’s gone to app heaven, they got too greedy, it was no longer fun to play, sadly. 

Funny you starting this thread, as I’m soooooo all about decluttering apps at mo, and focusing on getting rid of non essential stuff

I did a huge app clear out a few months ago and I now feel I’m too lacking in apps to use, I think I took it too far :sweat_smile:  sorry to hear about Candy Crush… I was considering getting involved! 

@Gwyndy the Dulux one is an excellent recommendation, I will definitely be downloading that this weekend! Thanks! (unfortunately colourful Dulux paint is out of stock almost everywhere, but it’d still be helpful as a general indicator) 

Words with Friends might well be worthy of a redownload - thanks :grinning:

Anything to steer me away from Instagram and Pinterest :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Usually don’t like sitting for long in front of TV, but have to say, this second lockdown has really got me into binge watching on iplayer and ITVhub, oh and even All4. I think “I’ll just watch one episode “ then end up hooked 🎣, and before you know it I’ve watched the whole series 🤣🤣🤣🤣. 

Binge watched all four episodes of the new series 8 of Jamie and Jimmy on All4. Adored Finding Alice, watched all six episodes, on ITV hub, and now halfway thru second new series of The Bay, also ITV hub, and that’s to name just a few. 

Guess we shouldn’t feel guilty, we’re fully abiding, staying safe, and protecting the NHS 🖥🛋👍👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I had an App clear out the other day too. Felt like my phone was getting clogged up.

I'm a big Words with Friends fan.  My username is, yes, you've guessed Scubaseahorse, so if you fancy a game, please look me up.

Rangefinder will find you some nice walks, And What3words will save you when you get lost on the walk! 

Rangefinder will find you some nice walks, And What3words will save you when you get lost on the walk! 

Love the logical thinking there… yes I downloaded What3words a few months ago, as our lockdown walks became more adventurous! Back to local walks only for now but I think it’s a handy app to have just in case :relaxed:

Rangefinder sounds great - we’ve exhausted the list of walks we know about at this point... That’s being downloaded now, thanks! Is the ‘official’ name ViewRanger?

Here it is on iOS @Natalyhttps://apps.apple.com/gb/app/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk/id404581674. I turned my cousin onto it recently as she’d sent a manually marked up snap of an OS map to show where they’d been. This works much better!

I love having The Weather Channel weather radar as a widget at the top of my home screen for an at-a-glance view of when to dash out for a drier walk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes @Nataly it is ViewRanger, sorry my mistake. 

Lovely, thanks @25 quid @Scubaseahorse! I’ll definitely be exploring the app later, hoping to find a few local routes I hadn’t thought of/ realised about - and then find some walks further afield for after lockdown. I think this app will be used quite a lot, great recommendation :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

s’PPA  ecin tog ev’yeht

:joy:  was it a long night @Strutt G:eyes:

As a bit of a news addict i’ve got loads of news apps.

• BBC apps are brilliant. I use the news and sport ones
  • For iPhone users, Apple News app is nicely presented and curated, but if you’re not a News+ premium subscriber (like me) then it can get a bit annoying, as it’s easy to miss the ‘+ only tag’ when tapping on an article
  • Old-school ‘RSS readers’ are still around. I use Feedly and NetNewsWire (though the latter seems to be exclusively or fans of a certain fruit company :green_apple:
  • I used to use Flipboard a lot. I think it’s still around
  • And of course Twitter is good for breaking news
  • Google News is weird. AI-driven so will suggest stories based on random searches you may have done, like ‘pineapple souffle’ or whatever
  • I’ve got a Financial Times subscription as part of my uni course, and it’s brilliant for archive stuff
  • Medium used to be a big one, but it’s gone to a subscription model for a certain number of reads per month

That’s my lot! I’m sure i’ve missed a few

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

:joy:  was it a long night @Strutt G:eyes:

Funk upon a time called right now - (a GC Quote)

• Sorry in a silly mood today - its great!!

Very excited - have stumbled across a way to create blank space at the top of my iPhone’s homepage, so that I can have my go-to apps further down.

My current iPhone set up

I’m also quite liking the minimalist look.:relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wanna share Marc? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️👍🤣

@Marc did you know you can swipe down at the bottom to move the whole screen down so you can reach the top with one hand?

P.S. How come member services only gets 15 minutes!? 😉 

Or put a weather radar widget at the top, so the space is used for something useful! 😉😊 

Or the photos widget is quite nice as it pops up a featured photo relevant for the time for year…

Widgets on the Home Screen 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And don’t you just LOVE looking back and thinking “I’m soooooooo glad I paid extra for more storage!” Isn’t it lovely checking your storage, and seeing soooooooooo much space! 🙀👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍🤣

I need more junk!

Wanna share Marc? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️👍🤣

Whoops! Sorry @Bev yes completely meant to do that. Here’s a link which explains - it’s a few years old now but still works.

P.S. How come member services only gets 15 minutes!? 😉 

Which is way, way more than they deserve :laughing: