You know you've turned into your parents / grandparents when .................!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
As I get a ltitle older I am finding myself saying and doing more and more things that my parents and grandparents would say to me when I was younger (or in my Mum;s case, she still does)!! What kinds of things are you finding yourselves doing that mirror your folks?

I've been writing my shopping lists on pieces of scrap paper and old envelopes. My memory is not what it once was!!

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ha ha I get your drift NannyOgg as sometimes I have to stop myself drifting into those adopted mannerisms and expressions.
My partner loves those bits of paper with lists on and (after time) it drives me nuts collecting them all up.
Then I end up getting a bit OCD endeavouring to keep some level of order and get told off for moving things around.
Oh those traites...good luck..
Hahaha great topic @NannyOgg
Yes, this is happening to me too.

Just the other day I walked into the lounge, frowned, said out loud 'Is it me, or is it hot in here?' and then felt the radiator.
Which is exactly what my dad does.
*Sighs* 👴
This winter I've been making absolutely sure that my boyfriend and friends wear their hats and scarves - and giving them my spares if not 😁

I've also started wrapping up leftover bits of food when out and about (like a biscuit that comes with a coffee, or half a piece of cake) to have later 🤦
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
My best one is getting the laundry started because I "don't want to waste good drying weather"!! Oh when did I reach middle age?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
A few years back, I’d larf at my mum always walking to a light bulb, or window, to try to read something, she’d say “I can’t see a thing in this light!” and I’d larf joking she was as blind as a bat 😂😉.

I got home from food shopping today, and was reading a label to see if vegetarian or vegan, wasn’t sure which. Found myself walking towards the lampshade, holding the packet at arms length! 😂😂😂😂👓

It is soooo true; we really DO turn into our parents 😂😂😂😂😂
Bev;46355:
A few years back, I’d larf at my mum always walking to a light bulb, or window, to try to read something, she’d say “I can’t see a thing in this light!” and I’d larf joking she was as blind as a bat 😂😉.

I got home from food shopping today, and was reading a label to see if vegetarian or vegan, wasn’t sure which. Found myself walking towards the lampshade, holding the packet at arms length! 😂😂😂😂👓

It is soooo true; we really DO turn into our parents 😂😂😂😂😂

Whenever I go to a restaurant with my parents, they always turn on their phone torches to be able to read the menu 😅

​​​​​​​I haven't done that one, yet...
Badge +2
ha, I keep finding myself saying things to the kids that my mum and dad said to me! "Take your coat off in the house, you'll not feel the benefit outside"

Everytime I look in thhe mirror these days, I see My dad looking back. Only taller!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Or when the kids refuse to eat their food, I wince as I hear the words falling out of my mouth 'There are children in this world who are starving, don't waste food! 😏
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yikes, another one to add to the collection 'where are your slippers? You'll get cold running around in your bare feet'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
NannyOgg;46937:
Yikes, another one to add to the collection 'where are your slippers? You'll get cold running around in your bare feet'.

​​​​​​​O M G! I only said this to my daughter an hour ago
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just stood up from sitting on the floor and realised I was holding my back, grimacing, saying “ooooooh ya bugger” as every muscle ached! I thought jeez I sound like my parents 😂😂😂😂😂

I just stood up from sitting on the floor and realised I was holding my back, grimacing, saying “ooooooh ya bugger” as every muscle ached! I thought jeez I sound like my parents 😂😂😂😂😂

Hahahaha this is me @Bev about 10 times a day

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Son “it’s cold turn up the heating”

Father “so put a jumper on you’re only wearing a t-shirt”

Father “I bet you’ll be wearing a jumper when you have to pay your own bills”

(father has 3 layers of clothing)…

rest of conversation redacted due to language...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This is me too! 

Me- 3 layers of clothing on....husband sitting with t shirt on and says 'feels cold in here'

My response is always....put a jumper on then! 🤣🤣

Well, I just took off my glasses to use my mobile phone. I squinted my eyes ever-so-slightly and peered closer at the screen.

RIP Young Marc :disappointed_relieved:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well, I just took off my glasses to use my mobile phone. I squinted my eyes ever-so-slightly and peered closer at the screen.

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Marc

It’s a fact that as you get older your arms shrink, so you can’t hold the phone far enough away. You just need longer arms…:robot:

This is me too! 

Me- 3 layers of clothing on....husband sitting with t shirt on and says 'feels cold in here'

I thought it was usually the other way round? Ladies feel the cold more due to a greater degree of insulation between the skin surface and the inner body. My wife always grumbles of the cold. “Is it cold in here or is it me?” “It’s you!” 

Back in the days of the three day week with power cuts young people kept warm in other ways. Nine months later it was obvious how!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This is me too! 

I thought it was usually the other way round? Ladies feel the cold more due to a greater degree of insulation between the skin surface and the inner body. My wife always grumbles of the cold. “Is it cold in here or is it me?” “It’s you!” 

Back in the days of the three day week with power cuts young people kept warm in other ways. Nine months later it was obvious how!

🤣