World Mental Health Day 2020 - Sharing our ideas for coping with lockdown

10 October marks this year’s World Mental Health day, and what a year it’s been! 

With so much uncertainty in the world at the moment I’m sure many of us have struggled in one way or another - whether that’s going a bit stir crazy, loneliness from being distanced, or just missing those easy catch ups with friends, things have changed for many of us! 

Personally, I love being around people. Working from home and not seeing the rest of the PP team has definitely been a struggle. And I feel like I’m not alone in that! But ensuring I have regular video chats not only with my team, but also with friends from across the company, has really helped get me through :grinning: . Even an occasional 10 minute chat, to make up for the time we would’ve spent together throughout the day making tea or coffee in a ‘normal’ world - the little chats count. 

This year more than ever I’ve made it my mission to be kind always, and to check in on my friends more than I usually would! Even just sending a quick message with a joke or photo, to give them a chance to chat if they need.:blush:

Has anyone else found little tricks that help? It’d be great to share our ideas and discoveries for ways to get through such a turbulent year and support each other. :raised_hands:

17 replies

In my real life I’ve just been preparing a sequence of articles, newsletters and posts on LinkedIn and Twitter on this very topic. Well-being and mental health is certainly a key challenge to us all at this time.

Every little helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have always preferred to live alone, in fact I love it. I couldn’t imagine living with anybody again now, BUT I fully appreciate how it’s not for everybody, lots do love lots of noise, social mixing, sharing, talking etc. So I can fully understand how difficult a time this has been for those trying to adjust to a whole new way of living and working. If used to being around lots of people, always on the go and seeing different people thru the day, then a family to share details of your day with etc, then it’s not going to be easy.

Have to say tho, I’d be lost without technology. Communication is indeed essential, and having the iphone and the iPad is not something to take for granted, as we’d sooo be lost now without that connection. I would have a totally different view of being alone without that link. 

There have been some positives, in the way we have had time to stop and listen, look and appreciate. The whole fast paced world has had no option but to slow down, and this makes US slow down, and hopefully notice more, be more aware of others, as you said Nat, re thinking of friends and colleagues and understanding that not everyone is the same, not everyone can deal with this in one correct way. There IS no right or wrong, as every mindset is so different. It’s about doing what you feel is right for you, and trying to make the most of what you’re thrown on each given day. 

I like to think it’s made people more hygiene aware, more in tune with infectious disease and the ways it spreads, and hoping the mantra, Hands Face Space, will go on long after COVID, to protect from everyday, less threatening, virus and disease. I know it’s a big ask. I know other countries find it a lot easier, a lot more the norm. For some reason, this nation is very resilient to change, craving their “normal”, but I do hope it’ll stay in people’s minds now, and make them think. If a killer virus won’t do it, nothing will. 

I saw this little article on the BBC web yesterday from Monty Don. I thought it was a nice read, and very true. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54385784

In my real life I’ve just been preparing a sequence of articles, newsletters and posts on LinkedIn and Twitter on this very topic. Well-being and mental health is certainly a key challenge to us all at this time.

Every little helps.

Would be interested in hearing some of your tips @25 quid  :slight_smile:

For me, I have to remember three things.

1. Have a clear cut-off point when I’m not at work, but when I’m at ‘home’. Yes it’s the same building/room on most days at the moment, but when the lappie does off, I’m not working.
  2. It’s OK to have rubbish days
  3. There’s aways more than three things to remember. I give myself permission not to have to remember them all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I like number two Marc 👍👍👍👍. Definitely. Once we accept that, and just go with the flow of the day, if it’s rubbish, so what? Just see what tomorrow brings, and try again 👍👍👍👍

Every little helps.

Would be interested in hearing some of your tips @25 quid  :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/coach_mentoring

Have to say tho, I’d be lost without technology. Communication is indeed essential, and having the iphone and the iPad is not something to take for granted, as we’d sooo be lost now without that connection. I would have a totally different view of being alone without that link. 

There have been some positives, in the way we have had time to stop and listen, look and appreciate. The whole fast paced world has had no option but to slow down, and this makes US slow down, and hopefully notice more, be more aware of others, as you said Nat, re thinking of friends and colleagues and understanding that not everyone is the same, not everyone can deal with this in one correct way. There IS no right or wrong, as every mindset is so different. It’s about doing what you feel is right for you, and trying to make the most of what you’re thrown on each given day. 

@Bev what a great insight on your post, thank you :relaxed:

I think a lot of us have felt very grateful for the ability to stay 'connected’, even if it is virtually, and to video call family/friends at times like this. It’s made a huge difference! Even just having access to fantastic platforms like this here Community :wink:

I like your approach of looking at the positives - it’s true, many people (I’m guilty of this) wind up having hectic schedules and forget to take time for themselves/ loved ones, and to enjoy what’s around us. 

Which has actually made me think of another tip! Going out for a walk. Even 5 or 10 minutes - and appreciating the fresh air. I especially appreciated this after having been in a strict lockdown. Whenever you're able to, getting out for a breath of fresh air (literally) has been very calming:thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So true Nat, so true. It really is literally “breath of fresh air” too, as often, if we can’t get out and about for whatever reason, just stepping into a garden or onto a balcony, or simply (no lie) opening a window wide, anything allowing you to breathe in gulps of new fresh air, really does make such a difference. Such a difference. 

Light too btw. Natural light. Not always do we get sunlight right now, but even letting daylight flood into your home as much as you can, all gives a better feel. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Strictly couldn’t have done a more perfect and fitting tribute to Caroline Flack, on World Mental Health day. Beyond heart breaking, but perfectly done 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

#bekind

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am a Wellbeing Champion at work.  The pandemic has brought a whole host of new issues with it, which I and my colleagues have dealt with, whilst supporting each other.  Everyone deals with issues in a different way and it has been heartwarming to see how we have all connected to help each other.

A kind word goes a long way, and yes, I agree @Marc it is okay to have a bad day.

I am a Wellbeing Champion at work.  The pandemic has brought a whole host of new issues with it, which I and my colleagues have dealt with, whilst supporting each other.  Everyone deals with issues in a different way and it has been heartwarming to see how we have all connected to help each other.

I bet that’s a challenging role at the best of times @Scubaseahorse and even more so now.

I’m sure it’s also rewarding, too? Good feelings from helping others. 

Badge

Hey @Scubaseahorse Well done for being a Wellbeing Champion 👏👏  

We don't have anyone like that at my place of work,  its a great idea.

💚

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Marc  @LUCKY JO 

Thanks, yes, challenging and at times difficult,  but rewarding, we've helped to keep quite a few people at work during difficult times and made others realise they need time off, it's just finding the right balance.  Many workplaces are introducing this type of help.

Userlevel 1

10 October marks this year’s World Mental Health day, and what a year it’s been! 

With so much uncertainty in the world at the moment I’m sure many of us have struggled in one way or another - whether that’s going a bit stir crazy, loneliness from being distanced, or just missing those easy catch ups with friends, things have changed for many of us! 

Personally, I love being around people. Working from home and not seeing the rest of the PP team has definitely been a struggle. And I feel like I’m not alone in that! But ensuring I have regular video chats not only with my team, but also with friends from across the company, has really helped get me through :grinning: . Even an occasional 10 minute chat, to make up for the time we would’ve spent together throughout the day making tea or coffee in a ‘normal’ world - the little chats count. 

This year more than ever I’ve made it my mission to be kind always, and to check in on my friends more than I usually would! Even just sending a quick message with a joke or photo, to give them a chance to chat if they need.:blush:

Has anyone else found little tricks that help? It’d be great to share our ideas and discoveries for ways to get through such a turbulent year and support each other. :raised_hands:

So good to see this discussed here, it’s incredibly important that we do talk about mental health - it’s as important as physical health and we don’t mess around when that needs tending to, do we? 

I work in the NHS in Commissioning for Mental Health and am part pf a group of organisations including local authorities, providers and voluntary organisations that are working together to prevent suicide. We meet every week and though it’s a difficult discussion most weeks, but everyone supports each other and we often have chats outside of the meeting. I’ve never met most of those people in person, but I’ve made friends.

I’ve been working at home since mid-March, as has my husband, and like everyone else, there have been times for me when the enormity of everything has hit me like a bag of hammers. Talking it over makes a MASSIVE difference, just getting stuff off your chest, whether you think it’s an incoherent ramble or a structured conversation - it doesn’t matter. Just say it out loud. If you’re on your own, contact someone you’ve not heard from in a while, you’ll be helping them as much as yourself. When we talk to others, both sides are the better for it. 

With Christmas coming up, if you are on your own, get onto Twitter where comedian Sarah Millican has been running #JoinIn for several years now. She participates herself throughout Christmas day too, and though I’ve got my husband and my Mum here, I always #JoinIn a little too. People who get involved keep it going too. Try it!

Thank you for such a wonderful insight @Beadjoux, that certainly doesn’t sound easy! It’s lovely to hear you all support each other, I’m sure that really helps. 

Great advice, too - talking is very important! Pretty sure most of what I say is incoherent ramble at the best of times :laughing:  but it does help! The positive that’s come out of this, for me at least, is talking more with friends who I’d begun to lose contact with. Calling people up has been a great way of getting through this :) 

I hadn’t heard of that Twitter hashtag - will check it out! 

Userlevel 1

Regards to covid lockdown, it has not realy affected me much,i live alone, dont go out much, im medicaly retired due to many mental health issues,  i had the virus early November 2019, I thought it was just a harsh seasonal flu, until it came to light in 2020, the symptoms described were a match..scary stuff for sure, my issue with life is i can help others but it is detriment to my own health, im empathic, so tend to keep myself to myself so to speak.

Mental health is so very important, more and more it is becoming an ailment of many forms, some that have gone unnoticed are now been reconised as mental health problems, gone have the days " what i can not see can not be fixed or healed".

Thanks for sharing @Ravens loft! It is really important and I’m happy it’s something many people are taking into consideration throughout this difficult year - and hopefully will continue to place importance on in ‘normal’ times, too!