Who'll be putting their lights up early this year?

• 26 November 2020
  • 22 replies

Inspired by @Bev and @Duppy’s conversation… and the fact that when out for a walk last night, I saw at least a couple of houses on every street with their Christmas lights already up and on, I was wondering when you’ll be putting up your Christmas decorations this year? :grinning:

I know quite a few people who have got them up already to try and brighten up the last few weeks of 2020… and bring some joy/cheer to their homes. 

But I’m sure that’ll be having the opposite effect on those amongst us who aren’t such fans of Christmas lights! 

(full disclaimer: we’ve got our outdoor lights up and ready to go, but not switching on until 1 Dec. And the tree will probably be the week after...:innocent:)

When is your home Christmas lights switch on 2020?

22 replies

Heidi, Kate’s carer, puts hers up as soon as the Halloween decorations are down.

Kate and I, as a general rule, don’t bother at all, I was inveigled into buying some decorations by Heidi’s daughter this year, which I’ve tried to tuck away somewhere Bluebell can’t reach them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m always heading for 1st December for the switch on, but as 2020 soooooo unique, they’re all up. More went up this morning, so pleased it’s all done now, to fully enjoy thru December 👍💕

Impulse buy when shopping on a day off last week… first year with a real tree and I’m loving it 🎄 2020 has been such a weird year so starting with the Christmas joy early 🎅🏻❄️ (also means I get to look at the tree and lights while I work from home each day 😍)

Wonderful stuff @Fran2701 :blush: Loving the little snowman too!

I can’t compete. The official Christmas decorations are still in the loft, but we do appear to have some decorations of sorts, creeping in, unannounced.

I present exhibit A, the sideboard with not-so-hidden chocolate advent calendar:

Spot the advent calendar

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We usually get our tree a couple of weeks before Christmas from Columbia Row Flower Sunday Market. Its a lovely Victorian area in East London with quant and quirky little shops and houses.  It conjures up lots of Festive atmosphere with a down to earth spirit. Hopefully we’ll go early, miss the crowds but unfortunately will not be window shopping. In recent years the Wednesday shopping night has grown with carol singing on mass with the local Vic orchestrating tings on a soap box. Doubt this will happen and doubt I’d take the risk. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Gorgeous Fran! Gorgeous!

Nice Marc 👍, like that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Does (C)Hannukah count?

and Diwali just passed this year so happy Diwali to all who celebrate!!

Most definitely @woz:relaxed:  

Loved seeing Saturday Kitchen’s coverage of Diwali - the food (in particular the sweets) looked incredible :heart_eyes:

Badge +1

We'll be lugging ours out of the loft on Sunday  despite a grumpy husband moaning its way too early.

We are ready for a bit of sparkle here.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

We'll be lugging ours out of the loft on Sunday  despite a grumpy husband moaning its way too early.

We are ready for a bit of sparkle here.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

How did hubbie get on @LUCKY JO ?:laughing: Still grumpy?

Well… I now have this lovely view of a reindeer behind from my work from home office! It’s definitely the 1st of December… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎅👍😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Taking mine down tonight, left them up the maximum time this year, just felt right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Took ours down on Sunday 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wish I had now, our Scuba! Onlyjust this second finished! What a huge job! 😖😖😖😓😓😓😴😴😴

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Bev it really is a big job, especially making sure it's all packed away safely and then getting it all back up in the loft.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Bev it really is a big job, especially making sure it's all packed away safely and then getting it all back up in the loft.

Yes @Bev , packing away is the most important job . I like to label my boxes , so I know which room the stuff is for, makes it easier for next year ( we decorate 4 rooms) but hubby just likes to chuck everything into the nearest box he can find.. drives me mad! 😫

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

OMG you both sound sooooooo like me our Ange and our Scuba! I was thinking this is madness putting sticky labels on all the boxes and packing it away all so neatly, but come November, I’m always soooooo grateful I did 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏😂😂😂😂😂😂#organised

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

OMG you both sound sooooooo like me our Ange and our Scuba! I was thinking this is madness putting sticky labels on all the boxes and packing it away all so neatly, but come November, I’m always soooooo grateful I did 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏😂😂😂😂😂😂#organised

We have enough Christmas decs to garnish a forest of trees, in fact a few years ago we had 3 Christmas trees in our lounge and its not that big. So I’m with ya, boxing up, labelling into storage crates is the way. I just assist without having to (think) deal with the final details. This is the first year since I can remember we’ve manage to achieve this as completed yesterday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Bev...oh...that’s a blow, is it that time already - I was really enjoying the light show across the road, I might ask them to leave it permanently as it’s pretty and cheerful...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sooo  pleased I'm not the only one doing this. Hubby thought I was a freak 🤣🤣🌚

Badge +2

I took the kids one down on NY Eve and the big one on NY Day. I think that this year I may well put everything up at the beginning of December and leave them up until Candlemas :grin: