When do you switch the heating on?

• 25 September 2019
  • 28 replies

With the wind and rain this week it seems like summer truly is over, so as thoughts start to turn to Winter some households may be approaching the dreaded question of...

When's the right time to get the heating on?:rolleyes:

Every year the debate happens (at least, it does in my house!), and every year there's disagreement...

Should it wait until it hits a certain temperature outside, say, 10 degrees during the day?

Or just whenever you start to feel cold? - and can you only qualify as truly cold when you've already been putting on jumpers and thick socks?😂

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
It only goes on when the women moaning in the office starts to get on my nerves or when i go on holiday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We just try to hang on as long as we can, but really try not to turn it on before the 1st October.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Already on, early morning & late ish evening to take the early and late chill away 🌞❄️
Badge +2
I don't understand the question. Switch the heating ON ?
If your a Southerner........end of July

If your a Northerner.........end of September

If your Scottish..................Not before the first snowflakes have landed........(unless it's still warm)
I have a thermostat! It takes care of it all for me 😂
Badge +2
Gray4276;38473:
If your a Southerner........end of July

If your a Northerner.........end of September

If your Scottish..................Not before the first snowflakes have landed........(unless it's still warm)

Any northerner who turns it on that early should be sent down south and banished.
Jowl;38632:
Any northerner who turns it on that early should be sent down south and banished.

Agreed 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
🤐
Het David,

I was only having a bit of fun.....😎👌🖖
David j;38638:
������

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
If they were sent down South they wouldn't need to switch it on...
​My plan is to retrain the soft Southerners by moving them up North, that'll harden them..
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Gray4276;38645:
Het David,

I was only having a bit of fun.....������������������

I agree, clicked wrong emoji - I need to wear my glasses 👓👍👍
Should have gone to Specsavers......(other suppliers of vision impairment equipment are available) 👁️👁️️*🗨️👀👓🕶️🥕🔬🔭🔎
David j;38648:
I agree, clicked wrong emoji - I need to wear my glasses ������������������

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
😂👓
A few years ago, our council in their infinite wisdom gave us thermostatic valves for almost every room in the house.
For some reason I don't understand, they didn't put one in the passageway So I have the heating on in some rooms (bathroom and airing cupboard) some of the time, and off in most of the rooms the rest of the time.
Currently it's set to come on for 3 hours a day, but as the main thermostat is set to 18 degrees, I doubt it's even doing that, it very, very, rarely works below 20 - probably a testament to how well insulated this place is.
Gwyndy;38667:
Currently it's set to come on for 3 hours a day, but as the main thermostat is set to 18 degrees, I doubt it's even doing that, it very, very, rarely works below 20 - probably a testament to how well insulated this place is.

I think 18 is a pretty good temp to have it set to🆙 means that you'll never suddenly be freezing cold!

Back when I was a student, it was set at 16 and our house never really reached above 14 degrees:rolleyes:

I definitely noticed over the weekend that my room is getting pretty chilly, but then as pointed out above I am a Southerner so...😂
Userlevel 5
Badge
Glasgow, 20 y.o. new build w/double glazing, GCH, combi boiler that will need replacing in a few years

I keep the master thermostat in the hall around 18-19 degrees. Radiators all have thermostatic valves. Some rooms I never heat, as they're used primarily for storage, and I never spend more than a few minutes at a time in them.

I usually aim to hold out until October. This year I broke down and put on the heating for two evenings in early September when I felt a chill (even though I don't think there was a cold snap then). Still haven't turned the heating on for the season, but think I might need to tonight :-)

I'm reminded of the severe winter of 2009-10: I had just moved to northern Denmark. The flat was a 9 y.o. new build (but with much bigger rooms in Denmark than the piddly ones here in the UK); 6th floor, large windows, very open exposure, no window coverings at all, hardwood floors with no carpeting or rugs, but apparently very efficient insulation, as I didn't turn on the heating until November!
Seems like around 18 is the general consensus! 🆙

Did you end up turning the heating on @schase?
Did you enjoy living in Denmark?:eek: Maybe as it gets a lot colder there, their heating/insulation is a bit more advanced than ours.

I had to put two radiators on yesterday but haven't properly set up the heating yet..

The cats were very happy at the added warmth, found one of them curled up under a blanket right next to the radiator:rolleyes:😂
Userlevel 5
Badge
Nataly;39147:
Seems like around 18 is the general consensus! 🆙

Did you end up turning the heating on @schase?
Did you enjoy living in Denmark?:eek: Maybe as it gets a lot colder there, their heating/insulation is a bit more advanced than ours.

I had to put two radiators on yesterday but haven't properly set up the heating yet..

The cats were very happy at the added warmth, found one of them curled up under a blanket right next to the radiator:rolleyes:😂

I was working at home, and it was so cold that I switched the heating on around midday!

Did I like living in Denmark? I could write a book on my experiences--both good and bad.

New builds in Denmark (at least the one I lived in) much better constructed than here--and I don't believe one encounters 'cowboys' there: I think for the most part tradespeople have a vocational education and are certified. I also note that I lived in a large building served by district heating (with a rather impressive plant room in our building); is this more efficient than my combi boiler?

I also began the practice of taking monthly meter readings in Denmark (electric, hot water, and cold water), something I continued when I returned to the UK in 2015. But I'm not at the point to make comparisons between my two flats--too much variation in layout and costs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Well, the heating is now on. Although the outside temperature is a balmy 13 DegC it's raining, and we have the beginnings of a 3-day gale brewing. The leaves are turning gold, falling from the trees and piling up in soggy drifts. I'll be cleaning the gutters out by the end of the week.
Last night while cooking in the kitchen, all the windows completely steamed up and there was condensation on the window handles... that's when we know it's getting cold enough outside to think about the heating 😂
@Oakbank clearing out the gutters in this rain?! :eek:
​Good luck...
Badge +2

Interesting - just seen Tado tweet this graphic. I'd have thought those in Wales were tougher than that. Me - i'm more Scotland 🙂
Jowl;41376:

Interesting - just seen Tado tweet this graphic. I'd have thought those in Wales were tougher than that. Me - i'm more Scotland :)

​​​​​​​

Tado aren't conning me into turning my heating on early 😎 .......10°C again for me this year 👌🤑 ........you English/Welsh/Irish are too soft 😋💪🖖🏖️🌡️
Smudge is now refusing to sleep anywhere other than right next to the radiator 😆

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Beyond cute! 🙀👍🐱🐾🔥💕