What was your first mobile phone?

• 9 August 2019
  • 15 replies

Here's a nice trip down memory lane...

Which of these was your first mobile phone? 😕
If it's none of these, let us know what it was in the replies below :D

15 replies

Badge +2
ah, my trusty Motorola Graphite. Only upgraded when an ex introduced me to text messaging. It was Nokia then Sony until iPhone
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I think mine was a Motorola too. Gosh, how far they have come!!!
Badge +2
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Definitely a Motorola, remember being sooooooooo super chuffed with it! 😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
When i first started working for grand metropolitan some genius decided putting these in the company cars would save time and money. As i recall more got stolen or smashed up in the car wreck caused by using it while driving.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
The first phone I had was a Motorola similar to Jon1's but came in a carry bag.I used it when I was working as a driving instructor in the late 80's to mid 90's
It was an Ericsson, (T-28 I think) from way back in the days before that 'Ericsson' was prefaced with 'Sony-.'

Ah, those heady days when I used to buy phones outright, rather than having a contract, something I only returned to last year when I refused to replace my OnePlus 3 because, 'it still works' and 'contracts cost too much' - well they do for me when most months I'm lucky if I use 500 Mins/500 Texts/ 1Gb

Rant over.
​
Badge
I acquired my first mobile (I think in 2001) when I was living in Sydney, as a hand-me-down from an American friend who bought it during her six month visit to Australia, and gave it to me when she left. It was a Sagem; I'm not sure of the model, but the info below is the closest I could find to what I can recall (dark blue, with a curvy profile). Took over my friend's PAYG Vodafone account and number, since she wasn't going to be using it any more. I brought it with me when I moved to the UK that July, but it ended up in a drawer, as it wasn't compatible with the UK networks (I ended up replacing it with a Siemens on a BT Cellnet contract). My first smartphone was an iPhone, acquired when I moved to Denmark 10 years ago. I still have one of my old non-smart phones (a Sony Ericsson) that has served as a local phone when travelling overseas.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sagem_mc_3000-244.php

schase;35100:
My first smartphone was an iPhone, acquired when I moved to Denmark 10 years ago. I still have one of my old non-smart phones (a Sony Ericsson) that has served as a local phone when travelling overseas.

I used to do the exact same! Until last year I had a non-smart phone for use at festivals and when travelling abroad 🆙

It was so handy buuuut it died a slow and painful death... it was a sony ericsson cybershot... the buttons slowly failed... the screen became darker and darker...
RIP ol' faithful.

I've had iPhones for the last while but I do think they start dying after only a couple of years:(
Nataly;35164:

I've had iPhones for the last while but I do think they start dying after only a couple of years:(

I had to replace Kate's iPhone SE two months ago, it wasn't even 2 years old. Kate put it on charge, and when she took it off charge the screen was black, I took it to the O2 shop who tried a few things, failed to get anywhere, and said it only had a 1 year warranty, so we decided not to waste money trying to fix it.
Gwyndy;35173:
I had to replace Kate's iPhone SE two months ago, it wasn't even 2 years old. Kate put it on charge, and when she took it off charge the screen was black, I took it to the O2 shop who tried a few things, failed to get anywhere, and said it only had a 1 year warranty, so we decided not to waste money trying to fix it.

And even if it did charge properly the battery would only last a few hours anyway😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
my first, carrying the car battery with it was a bit of a pain... (not me in the photo);)
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Very interesting programme on BBC 4 this evening on Nokia
Well, now this is stuck in my head...😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4KK-gh0FM
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
🙉🙉🙉🙉👎👎👎👎😂