What's your favourite Christmas food?

• 11 December 2019
  • 51 replies

It's two weeks today until Christmas! How has that happened? 😲

Starting to think about what food to get in, and about prepping the Xmas dinner (personally, the food is my favourite thing about Christmas!).

What's your favourite Christmassy food/drink? 😁

Fav Christmassy food and drink!

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Our family are planning a mid year Christmas this summer all being well (and allowed) .  Thinking of a summer "Christmas" food wise is going to be different 🙃  But Chestnut stuffing will feature for sure 😋 

What a great idea! 👍👍🌲🍻

Badge +2

Our family are planning a mid year Christmas this summer all being well (and allowed) .  Thinking of a summer "Christmas" food wise is going to be different 🙃  But Chestnut stuffing will feature for sure 😋 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

😂😂😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Happy to add comments all year round @Marc Surely christmas and easter sentiments not to mention condiments (and other foods) should be wished for all year round 🤔

Hmm, I’m wondering @Daspy Should we do a ‘what’s your favourite Easter egg’ thread too? And you can add a reply in August!! :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Can't believe I  missed this thread. For me all aspects of the main meal. Meat, veg, gravy, sauces, but if really pushed either pigs in blankets or mince pies..... OMG!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

They look soooooo gorgeous, Lucky Jo 🙀👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Love a flapjack and a granola and they look great.

Must say Nigel Slaters Fig and Orange shortbreads centre filled with the fig and golden sultana course paste are ruddy marvellous. If you want an alternative for a mince pie with no need for cream these are it! Great warm out of the oven and cold.

Won’t be getting Konditor mince pies due to T4. So will be making them and trying out this recipe, substituted quarter of the sugar with cranberries, more candid peel soaked in contreau replacing stem ginger

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/dec/04/felicity-cloakes-mince-pie-masterclass-an-easy-step-by-step-recipe

Badge +2

Cranberry flapjacks ...omg the aroma 😋

Badge +2

I'm going for 5 nut roast....because I love nuts.

Bread sauce is very popular in my house...  that's on the to do list.

But this afternoon its cranberry flapjacks baking away.  

Userlevel 6
Badge

I've got a 3 bird roast and small turkey joint in with all the trimmings and nibbles.  Will cook nicely hopefully in my new halogen oven which holds 17L☺️

Badge +2

😂😂😂😂😂👍

I just love how RELAXED it feels this year! It’s all started earlier, we can just chillax and enjoy it!

Hasn’t it?! Everyone seems to have completed their shopping early, put the trimmings up (I’m a traditional kind of guy- prefer it to be 12th December. But as we have kids - and a real tree now - I relent. Mainly because I want my moneys worth from the tree so it can go up early december. Tightness > tradition!!)

Even mum hasn’t got stressed over buying for everyone this year!

As for food. I love Christmas dinner - I even eat thing I wouldn’t touch the rest of the year :D  We normally Have Turkey and Pork. Yorkshires and ‘seasoned’ yorkshires. Roast taties. mashed taties. Roasted parnsips (in honey), sprouts (my kids love ‘em!), turnip, carrots, peas, stuffing, apple sauce and probably more stuff that I’ve forgot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I did larf. You soooooo need to add the recipe and pics to the cookery thread, Lucky Jo, when you next made it! Parp 

Badge +2

@Bev don't like to blow my own trumpet (🤣🤣get it !!) But I make a fantastic Sprout Soup. 

🤭

Badge +2

Oh got it @Bev 👍👍 yes, its delish!!  

I'm finding Stones Ginger Wine rather warming at the moment (other brands are available 🤭)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Adore snips and sprouts too! 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍🤸‍♀️💨💨💨💨

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hee hee hee Lucky Jo, it’s simply a mock as in a practice as haven’t made it before, but as staying home,  I thought I’d give it a try before making it on the day. Really fruity and warming 🍊🍋👍

Badge +2

Love mulled Wine Bev.  But mock ?? Not sure what that is 🤔

Spicy red cabbage 😋 

Chestnut Nut Roast delish with the sweetest parsnips and mountains ⛰ of sprouts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Mmmmmmmm smelling very festive in my kitchen now! Mmmmmm 🎄💕👍. Just preparing a mock mulled wine, as never done it before 😂😂😂, but as everything’s different this year, it’s nice to start early, as no rushing around to do. Nice. 

Just pushed me Cloves into the clementine segments 👍😂🍊🍋, all simmering wonderfully 💕🍷

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Got some more today Nat! Sooooo love em! Will put some in my mulled wine when experiment!

Had.my first Clementines 🍊🍊🍊since last Christmas, today. Mmmmmmmmm smells just like Christmas! 💕😂😂😂👍👍👍

I think throughout December half of my diet becomes clementines :joy:  I hope they don’t turn you orange like carrots would :thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Had.my first Clementines 🍊🍊🍊since last Christmas, today. Mmmmmmmmm smells just like Christmas! 💕😂😂😂👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Mince pies, but the ones with the icing on, yum yum 😋😋😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Love Goose, Turkey cooked prior to the day as will end up making a Turkey and Leek Pie.

Last Sunday we made the Veg loaf from Nigel Slaters Christmas Chronicles with addition of Pine nuts instead of hemp seed. Its not vegan but could be...by eliminating the eggs and butter - its a great dish and will do it again with some Chestnuts plus the hemp. I also substituted some of the parsnip with celeriac. By eliminating the eggs I guess you could bind with polenta.  

Christmas cake being fed, not making mince pies this year as getting them from Konditor & Cook as dam hard to beat. Also from the NS booking trying out the Fig and Orange shortbreads. 

Hooray for Christmas

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Roast duck. Bought it in October expecting prices to rise in view of people wanting smaller birds (my wife is small - 5’, not sure that is the same!).  Indeed the but her who sourced it for me told me a week later he was lining up stock for December and prices had gone way up. Enough of that. What with it? Roast potatoes of course, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, onions, carrots, peas, possibly cauliflower or green cabbage and a lemon sliced up and stuck up the Duck’s a..s - cause it keeps the duck moist, not just for when ready to eat but also when eaten cold the next day. No sprouts. Too noisy! Apple and Blackberry Crumble with custard. A bottle or two of decent ale (don’t drink wine). A kip afterwards.