What's your favourite Christmas food?

• 11 December 2019
  • 51 replies

It's two weeks today until Christmas! How has that happened? 😲

Starting to think about what food to get in, and about prepping the Xmas dinner (personally, the food is my favourite thing about Christmas!).

What's your favourite Christmassy food/drink? 😁

Fav Christmassy food and drink!

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Oh Yes Nataly where would we be without the Christmas nosebag.

We've been seriouslly endeavouring to eat less (even though sustainable) meat.
I ordered my Goose a few weeks ago from a good source.
I've made a Christmas cake, made pastry and filling for the MP's, thats mince pies by the way not those silly duds we see on the Box.
Sounds (is) a bit over the top, but most likely I will get a small turkey and thereafter make a turkey and leak pie.
Lots and lots of different veg.
Seriously reducing the chocolate intake (those in the tins) and go for a chocolate with nuts in, although those Benedict mints (not the mixed box) are a killer with the coffee. I'm actually going out for lunch on Christmas Day, a first. The goose (and other prep) will be all but cooked on Christmas eve ready for easy peasey on boxing day lunch. Goose really stands up well. I now find this is the most easy and fully proof way to get a great result.
Strutt G;44430:
Oh Yes Nataly where would we be without the Christmas nosebag.

We've been seriouslly endeavouring to eat less (even though sustainable) meat.
I ordered my Goose a few weeks ago from a good source.
I've made a Christmas cake, made pastry and filling for the MP's, thats mince pies by the way not those silly duds we see on the Box.

Making the whole shebang for mince pies is impressive! I think they're one of the only foods I don't handmake at Christmas.
Does the filling gets soaked for a long time too, like Christmas cake?

I'm in charge of making the Panettone and ricciarelli each year, since we have lots of Italian family 😊
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Aghh the usual giant homemade sticky toffee pudding is on order, straight out the oven burn your lips hot is the way to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Minced pies & sprouts are my fav - not nessesarily in that order πŸ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sorry Nat, soaked since late November, last year the same and did not cook the filling until the hit the pastry. This year done it the traditional way and soaked for a week or so then cooked the filling and resealed back in the fridge.
I prefer the non tradional way, its more juicy.
Sprouts all the way.
Strutt G;44430:

#undeserving !
πŸ™„
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Oooooo i forgot to mention the christmas pudding ice cream. Made with real christmas pudding supplied by the ladies of the local W.I. then mixed made and shipped by a british family owned company. My fave purbeck ice cream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sprouts sprouts and more sprouts! With everything! Even raw! Farts United! πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ’¨
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Marc the moderator will be on your case, burp
Whilst the @Marc's away the sprouts will play...
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
He won’t hear a thing whilst he’s at school πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Bev;44538:
Sprouts sprouts and more sprouts! With everything! Even raw! Farts United! πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ’¨

Hang on a sec...

Raw sprouts!? πŸ€―πŸ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Used in salads or as a salad.
Perhaps with some roasted hazlenuts, other thinly cut salad items slighly dressed with a fruited vinagarette.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Beyond gorge! Love em finely chopped in salads like you, Strutty πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘and remarkably healthy πŸ‘πŸ‘
Nice one @Strutt G & @Bev - great tip!

​​​​​​​I think my bro would love this so have definitely made note 😁
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Spread the word, lets go on a march and fight for free sprouts
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
What about that lorry that toppled over and dropped its whole load of sprouts πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€. What made me larf tho was the guy passing, who couldn’t wait to go fill his carrier bag full of sprouts πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ™„, you have to larf! Little did he realise he’d be all over the news channels! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Luckily no one injured, so made for a funny β€œand finally.....” news story πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚
And just in case anyone's forgotten, here are The Rules for next week:

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
My wife's Christmas cake.
Made weeks ago and rich with glace cherries, sultanas, raisins, citrus peel, dates and walnuts; drizzled with dark rum, wrapped in foil and stashed I know not where to mature. I'm salivating in anticipation.
Oakbank;44974:
My wife's Christmas cake.
Made weeks ago and rich with glace cherries, sultanas, raisins, citrus peel, dates and walnuts; drizzled with dark rum, wrapped in foil and stashed I know not where to mature. I'm salivating in anticipation.

Yum yum @Oakbank

But I kid you not, my fav Christmas food is the Brussel sprouts. Seriously. And because most people can't stand them, I get to indulge.... 😁
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Sprouts: Always hated them until I had them roasted with horse chestnuts along with the spuds, parsnips and carrots. So much better than the boiled nauseating ones I was made to eat as a kid.
Badge +2
The whole Christmas dinner for me. I eat things I wouldn't touch the rest of the year 😃

We go over to my Mums or Auntie's on Christmas day with the family around 12 of us usually. Turkey, pork, Yorkshrie puddings (seasoned and plain), More veg than I know the names off, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, Apple Sauce, stuffing. Mmmmm, I could eat for days. I start to get excited about this in June :D

On Boxing day we go to my in-laws for another full dinner - usually Turkey there.

And same again on New Years day.
Oakbank;45017:
Sprouts: Always hated them until I had them roasted with horse chestnuts along with the spuds, parsnips and carrots. So much better than the boiled nauseating ones I was made to eat as a kid.

Very true! @Oakbank
Bon appetit! πŸ₯•

Had some sprouts yesterday.

Then some cheese.

And finally a load of chocolate.

Just practising!Β :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Had some sprouts yesterday.

Then some cheese.

And finally a load of chocolate.

Just practising!Β :grin:

mmmm...chocolate coated sprouts with a cheese centre!

You must give @BevΒ the recipe