What’s your dream home?

• 10 September 2021
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Phew, what an episode our Mads! 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳👍👏

Missed parts so caught up fully today. This week I liked absolutely ALL five! Fantastic builds! Ooooooh truly loved that! 💕👍👏🏡

Badge +5

Here is a house for the woman you love:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-59383558

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Amazing! 😳😳😳😳

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s a lot of house for £200,000, amazing. Labour must be very cheap in India.

Badge +5

@woz My reaction too.  But not entirely surprised. I have had two visits to India for commercial reasons. Our hosts were excellent and put us up in very nice hotels but there are employees everywhere. A bit like ants coming from their nest. All very friendly and helpful and I am certain not paid a lot. (Teachers in secondary schools paid £50 per month). At the airports it was the same. There were two of us and decided to count how many times an official stood in our way to check our passports on the way through. We got to 6 and gave up. 

Transport is magic. We did not drive ourselves but common to see HGVs coming down the wrong side of the motorway as our side had less traffic. Everybody has to blow their horn. Scooters and tuc tucs weaving everywhere. Roundabouts mean you close your eyes. If it suits they don’t go round (they drive on the left) they just cut across to the exit they want. Their scooters are used for everything. I saw one lady breast feeding her baby on the back. Another carrying a family of four.  Mine host said “Those who visit India and don’t believe in God, do when they leave!”

But as said, lovely people.

We had mostly vegetarian food and it was delicious including eating with our fingers - right hand only!

We were told stories of the Rajah of Jaipur who had 365 wives and once a year he had to be paraded naked down the street to show he was still equipped! Apart from those wives he had 12 special or proper ones. When he died they had to. If one was pregnant she was allowed to live but incarcerated indoors for life.

Even in 4 star hotels electricity was not seen as a danger. To keep a plug in the socket, as it was loose, I used an apple from the fruit bowl to chock up the PSU.

Great people, the ladies always looked smart, colourful and clean, plenty of cheap labour to build your palace.  But doing business with them is not easy. Not only that how you phrase or say something is important. They can take it the wrong way and any sign of tension in the discourse and you can lose them. Obviously you don’t publish ideas and intentions on Twitter in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Such a lovely watch this series of Grand Designs this year! Some absolutely incredible builds! 😳😳😳😳😳😳👏👏👏👏👏👏👏. Just sooooooo unique. Remarkable homes. Loving it. Just caught up with episode three. Terrific viewing 👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Really looking forward to tonight’s episode of Grand Designs. Truly love it! Been some remarkable builds. You’d expect one, two, maybe three a year, but sooooooo many! Amazing! 

Userlevel 6
Badge

My dream home isn’t bricks and mortar, as I’ve always dreamed of living in an old fashioned showman’s waggon, for at least part of the year!  I come from Scottish Travellers on my Mum’s side and although I wasn’t brought up on the road, I have the strongest connection to the countryside, wildlife and alternative living! 

Here’s a photo from Roulotte Retreat where I stayed last Summer… it was a dream come true living in a waggon in a meadow full of wildlife.  One day I’ll have my very own waggon, I hope!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Now, I had no idea of that about you Jen, but I could almost tell. I could actually almost tell. Doesn’t that look idyllic indeed! Beautiful! Perfect in fact! Look how isolated it is, and soooooo pretty and safe. Keep that dream alive, Jen 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Userlevel 6
Badge

Ah @Bev that makes me happy!  

Imagine, being able to grow your own veg, and maybe keep a chicken or two for eggs :heart_eyes: that’d be the life!

Though there would need to be WiFi from somewhere if I was to keep working from home :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Fantastic final episode of Grand Designs last night! Some absolutely super builds! Astonishing! Loved it all! 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏