What's the most interesting/ weirdest job you've ever had?

Hi everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

We've learnt that some of us have met some pretty interesting famous people! And that some of those encounters were through various jobs...

So here's a new question! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

What's the worst/ most interesting/ weirdest or most bizarre job you've ever had to do? (take your pick!)

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Before my first โ€œproperโ€ jobs, I did some little part time numbers whilst at school and in 6th form, including a little egg round, with a basket of heavy eggs. Yuk, week after week lots of cracked eggs ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„and dark cold nights going from door to door ๐Ÿ‘Ž, but not as bad as the hideous Avon!!!!! Awful awful work, and barely make any money, everyone constantly sending stuff back, a right hassle that was, hated it.

Loved loved loved my paper round tho. Straight after school, running down to the paper shop, count the papers, sack on shoulder, and whizz round to see who could finish first ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. It was great fun, a lovely newsagent owner, and just lovely grateful customers with lots of tips at Christmas. Wonderful memories ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

Then my last job during sixth form, before the โ€œrealโ€ world, was an usher at the city centre ABC cinema ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Busy busy work, but perk was seeing parts of so many films, and the odd free ๐Ÿฟor ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘.

Looking back, you realise just how perfect all those jobs were in comparison ๐Ÿ‘
Badge +2
My most interesting is now. Learning new technologies and stuff all the time while being able to talk to people in person and develop relationships. Each day is different (in normal times).

Hardest was probably stacking hay/straw bails at a big farm. Hard work, at night, often very hot, coming home stinking so mum made me undress outside then straight in the bath!
Badge +2
*that should be Pig farm
@Jowl ah yes but was it a big pig farm? ๐Ÿ˜‹

That'd be a whole lotta bails!
Bev;54020:

Then my last job during sixth form, before the โ€œrealโ€ world, was an usher at the city centre ABC cinema ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Busy busy work, but perk was seeing parts of so many films, and the odd free ๐Ÿฟor ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘.

This sounds quite fun! There's definitely worse jobs ๐Ÿ‘

Did you ever get to see the entire film instead of just parts? ๐Ÿ˜

I hope the free ๐Ÿฟ wasn't from all the times people spilt it going up/down the stairs in the dark...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Jowl;54039:
*that should be Pig farm

โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1344172/Frankenswine-Pigs-genetically-modified-smell.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Nataly;54182:

Did you ever get to see the entire film instead of just parts? ๐Ÿ˜

I hope the free ๐Ÿฟ wasn't from all the times people spilt it going up/down the stairs in the dark...

No, only parts Nat, BUT if you swapped around with different people on your shift, youโ€™d eventually get to see MOST of the movie ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

Spooky you saying that, my biggest memory is actually of a staff member falling down the stairs with her ๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿฆround her neck! Back then, I doubt there was much H and S going on ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ‘Ž. Luckily not hurt!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
As a school kid i had a weekend job taking stock out of a walkin freezer for the production line to do their bit and then i would put it away again.
monday to friday it was a 4 man job due to health and safety temp checks and amount of time allowed in freezer etc etc. But as a somewhat idiotic teenager i did it on my own for cash in hand, pub lunch on way home and a pint of lager with said lunch. My mates were always envious as i used to earn 30-40 notes a day not a bad wage for the mid 80's
Badge +2
Nataly;54181:
@Jowl ah yes but was it a big pig farm? ๐Ÿ˜‹

That'd be a whole lotta bails!

I had to read that very carefully!! It was a big pig farm with a whole lotta bails!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha yep I think that's one for Specsavers
Jowl;54289:
I had to read that very carefully!! It was a big pig farm with a whole lotta bails!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
On my life Jowl, I did EXACTLY the same but wasnโ€™t gonna admit it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha...but you just have, shame on you!
โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹I wonder if we'll get cherries this year...
Bev;54297:
On my life Jowl, I did EXACTLY the same but wasnโ€™t gonna admit it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
My worst job was carry rubber mats at a rubber factory (careful, now) somewhere south of Manchester.
Mid-nineties, not really sure what I was doing there. The job entailed trimming the edges of huge rubber mats - to be used in horses' stables - then rolling them up, staggering across to the other side of the yard, and throwing them onto the back of a really long flat-bed truck.
As the day wore on, and my energy sapped, the pile grew taller on the truck, so that each 'throw' got progressively harder.
Everyone who worked there hated it. They hated it so much they'd spend the whole days' wages in the pub every night. Then come back the next day for more.

Wish I could remember the circumstances of me being there. I think it was when I had a girlfriend from near Stockport and we were staying at her parents' house for the summer. Then I think we ran away to Dublin and camped in the garden of a youth hostel. Long story....
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I got a Sunday job down Petticoat Lane Market in Aldgate aged 14.
I'm sure my parents in this era would not of allowed it.
Anyway - I had to get the first train from Hornchurch on the district line at 05:30.
The stall holder was a short little grey haired lady called Claire. In the Winter we sold a selection of boxed chocolates and the summer tinned fizzy drinks and both in between seasons. I would collect the 4 wheeled barrow to go to this little dark and very dank lock up. Stack up the barrow and then off we'd go to set up the stall. I had to go through this car park with an up and down slope which was very dodgy and dangerous in the winter - no brakes and it was always a struggle. We'd pass the live chickens getting slaughter and there was always some dodgy and weird characters hanging about. In the summer with the stall stacked with cans Clair would stand at the front (me at the back), shouting come and get it, where you like, and how you like, come and get it..........as the day got warmer I was sent to pick up some dry ice which was placed on a few tins at the front misting away. It was always crowed and when hot peeps would pay top dollar for the drinks.
Claire would give it her all with the banter would take the money for the purchase and only then... give the customers/tourists the warm tin.
She just had this way of ignoring any complaints, would wave them away and this short old lady would just continue hollering, come and get it, where like and how you like. I think it makes me laugh more now than then.
At 14:30 I'd go and pick up the barrow a couple of roads away. After a while I enjoyed pulling this long barrow through a crowded street, shouting..mind your backs wet paint...mind your backs wet paint. Around the same time with a friend we had a car washing round which included two pubs and the shops in town. Funny memories walking down the street with our buckets without a care in the world.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Difficult for me to answer this without breaching confidentiality but over the years there have been some odd cases to handle. Some tragic, some make you smile. People do some odd things - with each other as well as with what is around us!

One of the oddest though was not a job as such but finding myself with a 17 year old young man who literally had no idea at all how babies came about. I sat with him for a time with paper and pen drawing various anatomical parts, explaining ovulation, what goes where, and what comes from where. How his parents had achieved this, nor how he escaped acquiring knowledge at school, I donโ€™t know but it seemed my instruction proved successful for he went on to later get married and have two children. His mother later thanked me for helping. Not with the children I hasten to say!
Strutt G;54316:
I got a Sunday job down Petticoat Lane Market in Aldgate aged 14.
I'm sure my parents in this era would not of allowed it.
Anyway - I had to get the first train from Hornchurch on the district line at 05:30.
The stall holder was a short little grey haired lady called Claire. In the Winter we sold a selection of boxed chocolates and the summer tinned fizzy drinks and both in between seasons. I would collect the 4 wheeled barrow to go to this little dark and very dank lock up. Stack up the barrow and then off we'd go to set up the stall. I had to go through this car park with an up and down slope which was very dodgy and dangerous in the winter - no brakes and it was always a struggle. We'd pass the live chickens getting slaughter and there was always some dodgy and weird characters hanging about. In the summer with the stall stacked with cans Clair would stand at the front (me at the back), shouting come and get it, where you like, and how you like, come and get it..........as the day got warmer I was sent to pick up some dry ice which was placed on a few tins at the front misting away. It was always crowed and when hot peeps would pay top dollar for the drinks.
Claire would give it her all with the banter would take the money for the purchase and only then... give the customers/tourists the warm tin.
She just had this way of ignoring any complaints, would wave them away and this short old lady would just continue hollering, come and get it, where like and how you like. I think it makes me laugh more now than then.
At 14:30 I'd go and pick up the barrow a couple of roads away. After a while I enjoyed pulling this long barrow through a crowded street, shouting..mind your backs wet paint...mind your backs wet paint. Around the same time with a friend we had a car washing round which included two pubs and the shops in town. Funny memories walking down the street with our buckets without a care in the world.

Great story @Strutt G
I used to love Petticoat Lane market. Lived in Hammersmith at the time so it was quite a trek every week. But used to come away with all sorts of dodgy gear!
Userlevel 4

I did a 6 month stint as an agent on a dating site,ย 

I got tonseensome weird & wonderful people, & also some very weird & not so wonderful people & pics ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

It certainly opened my eyes & I have to say if i ever divorce my husband I certainly know not to bother using dating sites as you litterally don't know who your talking to (or if said person is actually being paid to chat to you)ย 

I think I avoided the two โ€˜most interesting/horribleโ€™ jobs I could have had, and Iโ€™ve done some filthy jobs in my time.

The two I avoided/rejected:

1: Removing testicles from hides in a tannery - thatโ€™s not quite how we described the job (and one of my friends took it after I decided not to)ย butย I wouldnโ€™t have coped with the stench.

2: Cleaning Cyanide storage tanks = ยฃ200+ย per dayย or not (circa 1990) my self-preservation gene kicked in for once.

In rough order to the best of my memory, my job history (I hope I never have to do a CV again).

Farm.
Paper Round.
Garage.
(Probably another garage).
Bodyshop.
Coal Merchants/Colliery/Washery.
Electric Fireplace Manufacturer.
NHS Admin.
Carer (not as a โ€˜jobโ€™).

ย 

Userlevel 4

I think I avoided the two โ€˜most interesting/horribleโ€™ jobs I could have had, and Iโ€™ve done some filthy jobs in my time.

The two I avoided/rejected:

1: Removing testicles from hides in a tannery - thatโ€™s not quite how we described the job (and one of my friends took it after I decided not to)ย butย I wouldnโ€™t have coped with the stench.

2: Cleaning Cyanide storage tanks = ยฃ200+ย per dayย or not (circa 1990) my self-preservation gene kicked in for once.

In rough order to the best of my memory, my job history (I hope I never have to do a CV again).

Farm.
Paper Round.
Garage.
(Probably another garage).
Bodyshop.
Coal Merchants/Colliery/Washery.
Electric Fireplace Manufacturer.
NHS Admin.
Carer (not as a โ€˜jobโ€™).

ย 

Your number 1 job reminds me of my sister in laws jobย ย 

They love in Canada & she spent to years working on a artificial insemination plant for pigsย  ๐Ÿ–ย 

She was 1 of many responsible for collecting the samples from the males to be inseminated into the femalesโ€ฆ

Not how I fancy spending 8 hours of my day ๐Ÿคฃ

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I wonโ€™t comment on the testicles, oh I just did, but whatโ€™s an electric fireplace?

I wonโ€™t comment on the testicles, oh I just did, but whatโ€™s an electric fireplace?

Its a fireplace with a built in coal effect, or log effect electric fire, like this:

Fire and โ€˜surroundโ€™ all in one unit.
Itโ€™s been hard work finding pictures of the right ones, presumably the owners retired and closed the business down, I canโ€™t find any evidence they still exist.

Well, apart from an apparently โ€˜brand newโ€™ 655 on gumtree, and as they were making them when I left in 2000, I wouldnโ€™t hold out much hope the fan will move, itโ€™s probably seized by now from lack of use.

ย