What's the best and worst thing about Winter?

Safe to say, it’s getting pretty cold outside now. Winter is looming… :open_mouth:

In your opinion, what’s the best and what’s the worst thing about Winter? 

For me, the best thing is being able to enjoy a cold walk and then sit in front of a fire with a hot drink to warm back up :smiley: (or, in normal times, in a cosy pub with mulled wine:joy: !).

The worst thing is how early it gets dark outside!  

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The worst thing is if it gets icy, the treacherous pavements when walking on it, high risk of falls.

The best bit, like you Nat, is getting fully wrapped up, having a nice choice of warm attire, then enjoying sunny, crisp, raw, bracing walks ❄️☀️❄️🧤🧣🧦👢, then the best bit is getting back home and getting super cosy mmmmmmm. Love hibernating on a winters night 😂🔥👏🦔

Great thread 👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Worst thing- snow and ice....means I can't go to work on the Burgman. And if it gets too bad.....can't get to work on the bus either! ( don't really want to go on the bus anyway, the way thinks are)

Best thing- my birthday in November and (obviously) Christmas....having all the family round to my house for Xmas lunch, 4 generations, 9 adults and 2 toddlers, however.....thats not gonna happen this year! ☹

@Bev @Angelabikerbabe ahh I didn’t think of the icy pavements! I absolutely love snow, though, until it all starts to melt and go muddy :rolling_eyes:  wonder if it’ll snow this year? Maybe doesn’t matter as much since we’ll all be inside more anyway! 

Hey my bday is in November too @Angelabikerbabe :smiley:  I think having a lockdown birthday is the perfect excuse to eat extra cake, right?! Hope you still get to celebrate somehow - even if it’s over a video call? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I really enjoy the seasons and the changes they bring. I love a cold, crisp and sunny winters morning for walking & cycling- then home for a warm drink etc. Don’t enjoy the shorter daylight hours and gloomy grey skies. After Christmas I am on the lookout for the first Daffodils and snowdrops etc then I know spring is around the corner. 
❄️☀️👍👍

I love a cold, crisp and sunny winters morning for walking & cycling- then home for a warm drink etc. 

This is exactly my favourite thing, too! :blush:  Especially when you see the frost on the grass and a lovely blue sky in the morning before heading out. So long as you know there’s a warm drink waiting for you at the end! 

I think shorter days/ the darkness is the worst thing for lots of us - I was reading an article about coping with Winter lockdown, and it had some lovely advice from Norway and their practice of “koselig” -

“It can describe a house, a situation, a meal, a conversation, or a person,” conveying “this feeling of safe, warm, and good.” 

and that we need to embrace Winter for what it is and enjoy the chance to be ‘cosy’ as well as embrace the cold for our Winter walks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’ve visited Norway but not in the depths of winter, locals had mentioned the practice or mindset of Koselig - it’s a mindfulness that can be applied all year round I feel. 
❄️❄️

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Love that sort of thing, even on the most simple scale 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The best is if we get lots of snow and to go out for a walk in it - needing sunglasses and boots! Especially if it is freshly laid and the sky is clear blue. There are the pleasures of things to warm you up when you get back to think about.

The worst? When the same snow melts and it’s all slushy and horrible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Also, you can ALWAYS go out in a hat,from October to March, so no matter how rubbish your hair looks, no problem! 😂👏👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have a Covid cut. 12mm DIY. I need a hat!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have a choice of many hats and a wig which flutters in the wind no matter what the season. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Trump that!

Just realised the actual best thing about Winter folks… 

The John Lewis Christmas ad, of course! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I prefer the Kevin the carrot adventures myself

I prefer the Kevin the carrot adventures myself

Yes I do love Kevin, too! Remember when they produced the Kevin carrot cuddly toys and the queues were going on for miles?! Madness! :sweat_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This years Kevin the 🥕is beyond divine 💕💕💕💕💕. By far my favourite Christmas advert of this year so far 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏. Welldone Aldi