Hot Topic

What made me happy today

• Community Manager
  • 5493 replies
Hi all

In another community I'm a member of, we have a thread where everybody just says what's made them happy this day. Thought it would be nice for here too! 😀

And we're not restricted to posting only once!

To start: I was woken up by my cat purring in my ear. The sun is out, and I had a lovely walk to work in beautiful Bath from where I parked.
I'm also happy today because my dad is feeling loads better after coming out of hospital. Tonight I'm seeing friends for tea and food.

Over to you 👍

1586 replies

Thanks @Nataly 

I wish I had the time to do yours too,

I need to retire and take up landscape gardening, I think 🤣🤣

Always good to have a back-up plan eh! :laughing:

Celebrations and jublilations @25 quid 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well done @25 quid 👍👏  👏 👏👏

Good morning! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sooooooo good, sooooo cleverly made, and the song just makes ya smile from 👂to 👂. 

If that, combined with today’s red hot August sunshine ☀️😎, doesn’t bring a big smile to your face, then nothing will. Superb. 

LOVE the fez 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just imagine the enormous work that went into that! 😳👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🐏🥁🐏🥁🐏🥁🤣

I suppose it is pride, pleasure and happiness that leads me to post this. Just had a FaceTime chat with my 16 year old grandson. He has his GCSE results. Ten subjects. Ten 9s. He’s happy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That is impressive, Rich! Wow! 😳😳😳😳😳👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Must be in his genes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

How did I know you were soooooo going to say that! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hope he’s truly proud of himself and chooses his A levels wisely. 

Aye, as he will find out passing exams is only one hurdle, and not one that on its own means your are intelligent. He is 17 soon and the sort of young man that probably will enjoy his A levels with the fewer subjects and more in depth study. The hurdle ahead though is I am sure they will make it harder to get high grades than it has been. Wish they had done that with my professional exams!  Less than 10% would pass them all first time and over  the years they made it easier. And so the quality of the person and skills level decreased such that many can only focus on a narrow field of expertise and then not always wonderfully. Like teaching a nurse to inject you in the left arm and he or she is incapable of injecting you in the right arm! But who needs injections when you have a plug on your arm!

That’s amazing @G4RHL - good on him!! Does he have any plans to go to University one day, or is he not sure yet? 

Certainly a good place for in depth study!

I suppose it is pride, pleasure and happiness that leads me to post this. Just had a FaceTime chat with my 16 year old grandson. He has his GCSE results. Ten subjects. Ten 9s. He’s happy!

Fantastic news @G4RHL Good for him, and great news for you too. Happy days 

Thanks @Marc  and @Mads. It was on the cards this would happen as when he left primary school the assessment sent with him to the secondary school indicated this was likely. University is his next aim after A levels in two years. To do what he doesn’t know but very early days for such decisions and a phenomenal number of university students change their course in the first year. At present his A levels may be Maths, Geography and English. Thank goodness he does not come across as one of those who seem to be all brain and no application. Whilst pleased with himself he will hate any attention and I gather he got out of school this morning, after getting his results, as quickly as he could. He now presents a problem for he has a younger brother coming up to 14 and a sister approaching 10. They will feel some pressure to do the same and that will not be easy to handle. I trust his parents to ensure a balance is maintained and am sure they will. The fact that he can pass exams, or their substitute, is good but he knows a lot more lies ahead than just that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Good morning! 

I love Shaun the sheep. And Wallace & Grommit obviously. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great news! @G4RHL . Well done to your grandson👍⭐⭐⭐

@Angelabikerbabe We are told some farmers do some interesting things with sheep. The best about Wallace and G was the narrator. The deadpan manner in which Peter Sallie delivered. He was equally good in Last of the Summer Wine for which I fear I qualify now!

@G4RHL an incredible accomplishment! I changed my degree course in first year, it’s very common for sure.

I started out studying English literature and Philosophy, but moved to straight Philosophy after finding my passion for studying literature (bar Shakespeare whose work I always loved) was quickly fading. 

@Mads My school days put me off Shakespeare. It seemed to be rammed down our throats!

Yes very true @G4RHL - I just absolutely loved studying Hamlet at A level - I think in part because I had a really amazing teacher. They can make such a difference!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did some comparisons for my bike insurance and managed to save £30..yeah

What annoyed me the most was that in amongst those new quotes was a quote for my current insurer which was £30 cheaper than my renewal quote  . Same details.

It annoys me why loyal customers get a higher premium than new customers. 

Hopefully this will stop next year. 

@Angelabikerbabe Plus trying to cancel an existing policy is made difficult. They want you to ring them and with many they make it awkward to contact them in any other way. When you ring you get an infuriating questioning and they sometimes then drop the renewal figure. Whenever I have done that I have refused it telling them that if they are now able to quote a reduced figure why did they do not with the renewal notice? Mostly, I find the head office of the company and send an old fashioned letter to cancel.

I have often found, nearly every year, that the quotes you get that look cheaper, are not always on the basis you think they are. For example, you might elect a £100 voluntary excess but the quote says it is £200 or you want NCB cover but the quote does not have it, it is extra. They also want you add in other things can legal expenses cover which can prove expensive. Double check what you think you are being quoted.

It will be interesting when they are not allowed to be more expensive for existing customers. But then there are really only a very small number of companies behind the whole business. Perhaps a lot of the brokers may disappear.

I got my car insurance £60 cheaper than the renewal quote. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I always check the small print @G4RHL . Cause as you day, sometimes they day they're gonna include something but they don't. I've found that alot.

Also if I take put a policy, I always call them a month or so down the line and ask them to cancel the automatic renewal and confirm they have done so  . Saves a phonecall the next year 👍

A quote I believe from the Daily Telegraph:

Commenting on a complaint from a Mr. Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill, a spokesman for North West Gas said, 'We agree it was rather high for the time of year. It's possible Mr. Purdey has been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that destroyed his house.'
(The Daily Telegraph)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A quote I believe from the Daily Telegraph:

Commenting on a complaint from a Mr. Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill, a spokesman for North West Gas said, 'We agree it was rather high for the time of year. It's possible Mr. Purdey has been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that destroyed his house.'
(The Daily Telegraph)

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Took my 82 year old Dad to hospital for an operation this morning. 

Have to say I was more than a little worried,  but he's through it and ok, thankfully. 👍