Hot Topic

What made me happy today

Show first post

1977 replies

My car is home safe and sound!

I’ve been practising over the weekend, after 5 years away from the wheel, I can’t say I’m the best, although I haven’t caused any havoc yet! I introduce to you Pamela...:sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Crikey our Mads, that looks brand new! What a beauty! Seriously! 😳😳😳😳👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Great find! Really love that! 🚘👍

Ooooooooh that’s sooooooo interesting re not having driven for five years! As you prob know, I took break after nearly thirty years driving, and took to walking and trains. Ended up becoming the norm, Mads, rather than just an interim thing, and never have gone back to driving. I know for sure now that I won’t until driverless cars are the norm for everybody. I really don’t miss driving at all. I do miss the actual car tho, I know I’ll sooooooooo love driverless, if ever happens in my lifetime. 

So what brought about your break for five years, our Mads, and was it like getting straight back on a bike, like you’d never been away from driving? 🤷‍♀️

@Bev so I passed my test eagerly when I was 17, I then quickly realised I couldn’t afford a car on weekend wages (as I was still in school), after school came uni, where there was no real need for a car. Then since uni it’s been on my radar as something I’ve wanted, so I’d been saving up, and now finally here I am!

Unfortunately for me it hasn’t been like riding a bike :joy:, I was hoping I’d be brilliant straight away and that’s not the case. I’m getting to grips with it pretty quickly though, I can feel the muscle memory of it all, it’s just getting back in the swing of things, and I find the whole thing a bit daunting still. I’m enjoying it a lot though! 

Badge +5

@Mads Great little car. Sounds like a motorbike with its small 900cc engine. Good fun on country roads. Try the back roads around the Lake District. We went in my wife’s one year and enjoyed the drive. But, long hills with two adults and luggage, don’t expect it will zoom up like Superman! Very economical though. It can take an age for the needle to come off full.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh that’s great how you saved up and did it sensibly, as the excitement of passing your test means eager to get wheels, but you thought it thru and knew wouldn’t need a car until now. Perfect. 👍👏

Gosh its soooooooo bound to be daunting. Scary enough when first buy a car immediately after passing, but to have that break, it’s inevitably going to be a tad challenging. Just watch out for the idiots, our Mads, but you’ll be soon feeling confident, and whizzing here there and everywhere in lovely Pamela. 🚘👍😄(I keep hearing James Corden in my head, #GavinandStacy 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣)😉

Userlevel 6
Badge

Oh Em Gee!  I have to tell you about what made me happy today!

When there’s not a pandemic on, I love going to music festivals, though not as many as I used to… I’ve got to that age where I pick and choose because I don’t have the energy I did in my twenties :joy:

I was raking through an old cupboard on my lunch break, looking for last year’s Christmas cards, and what do I find?  My old festival jumper!  I’ve not seen it in years, I must have just squirrelled it away at the back of a cupboard!

The reason I love it so much is that:

1.  Soooo many fun memories of wandering around music festivals with my friends
  2.  It’s a proper wool jumper and was so cosy when it rained
  3.  It’s a Lyle and Scott jumper and should have cost around £80, but I got it for a FIVER

How did I get it so cheap?  Well, I used to work for a company opposite the Lyle and Scott HQ, and they would have a sample sale each year around this time for locals.  Managed to grab many bargains over the year but the jumper is all that remains.  I miss those sales!

Proper reminded me of cosy mornings with my festival jumper and a nice cuppa to fend off the hangover from the previous night’s whisky!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Mads 

Nice! love the colour, it matches your cheeks.(no smutty comments please)

A word of advice...(and don’t tell me I sound like your dad). Everyone else on the road is an idiot, or that’s what you have to assume to stay safe. You won’t develop that second spidey sense until you’ve been driving for a while, that’s the sense that tells you someone is going to do something stupid, it can be as subtle as someone’s head movement telling you they probably haven’t seen you, (although given the colour that seems unlikely). You’ll develop it as you drive more. 

I wish you well, take it slowly and enjoy it.

Badge +5

Some good advice from @woz there. It is a sense that develops. Try to see the person behind the wheel. Also if you are coming out of a junction  to turn right and there is a car coming from your right with its left indicator on don’t assume he or she is about to turn left and you can drive out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Such a lovely warm memory, Jen! Wonderful! Made me smile in a warm way, a lot. It’s amazing how a simple thing, like an item of clothing or a smell of a food, can conjure up sooooooo many memories no matter how many years pass by. And what a ruddy bargain, ya bugger 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳! No wonder it’s soooooo precious to you! Ooooh bet that was so exciting working directly opposite, knowing you had the opportunity to purchase samples. Superb. 

Love how you said not got the energy for festivals like you had in your twenties hee hee 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Do soooooooo get you tho, Jen, I was renowned for going to gigs (indoor arenas usually) all thru twenties and thirties, then I suddenly hit 94 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. But great memories indeed. 

Jen, I bet you any money, the first thing you did was hold it with both hands, put it next to your face and give it a sniff! Just to close your eyes and totally recall the special memories. This would have even fit perfectly in our mindfulness thingy this month 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍. Lovely tale. 

PS hope your vaccine went smoothly! 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Honestly @Bev, it was amazing, and it was always around pay day so we still felt flush :joy:  I did give the jumper a bit of a cuddle, and checked it for any injury, it’s still in perfect condition apart from a hole at the bottom which I think gives it character!

What bands did you see, Bev?  I bet you’d be a right giggle on a night out!

Thank you so much for checking in about my jab!  It’s all scheduled in for December 19th (I don’t think I mentioned that on the original post, silly me!) so I’m all prepared.  Mum and Dad are going to meet me afterwards so I’ve got something to look forward to, bless them.  

It is bloomin’ loud @G4RHL, a very good little runner though! Our Pamaaala as Smithy would say it ay @Bev

@woz whenever I think of cheeks I think of this brilliant image @Bev sent our way:

Thanks very much @woz, I better not mention that my dad advised similarly. :wink:

@placidhouse what wonderful memories! I always think it’s amazing (as @Bev said) that clothes, smells, sounds and so on, can bring back such strong and vivid feelings! I love it!

Badge +5

It is bloomin’ loud @G4RHL, a very good little runner though! Our Pamaaala as Smithy would say it ay @Bev

@woz whenever I think of cheeks I think of this brilliant image @Bev sent our way:

Thanks very much @woz, I better not mention that my dad advised similarly. :wink:

Is this a warning given out at Christmas time? “Watch your flatulence near a candle.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee hee hee hee hee re that image, it makes us all LOL that one, doesn’t it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

oooooooh indeed our Mads re Smithy! Priceless. I think the festive ones repeated this year again, they soooooooo have to do more next year! Think there’s talk of it! 🤞

Oh bless your kind words Jen hee, like to think of many fun nights indeed but seems forever ago now I’m 94 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. More a cosy night in now, but love that sooooooo much hee.  But yes Jen, loved gigs from late teens, and saw Madonna, who is probably the most memorable artist, five or six times. Just absolutely amazing when at her best. Truly beyond any other artist ever. 

My very first gig was T’Pau in a small venue. My first taste, with a school friend. Thereafter, soooooo just went to sooooooooo many concerts, gigs, musicals, shows, comedies. I couldn’t even think of doing it now, but back then it was just soooo the norm for me, everyone would always ask me who I was seeing live next. Beyoncé before she became really worldwide massive. Was quite close to the stage. George Michael. The Script. Wet Wet Wet. Tons I have forgotten, loved the ballet too. Nutcracker. Swan Lake. Yeah lovely memories Jen. 

Great vaccine sorted, and ample time before Christmas. Perfect 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge

Ooooh @Bev you’ve seen some smashing acts!  I would have loved to have seen George Michael live.  He was a wonderful singer.  I’m a big Freddie Mercury fan, and one of my favourite YouTube videos is George Michael in rehearsal for the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.  Nobody could sing like our Freddie, but George’s performance still gives me goosebumps!

Funny story about T’pau :) when I was a kid, my older sister used to put on a “disco” in our bedroom and play China In Your Hand while switching the lights on and off in time to the music :joy:

Have a lovely evening our Bev, and I’ll see you on here tomorrow no doubt :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have to say, our Jen, altho a cover, the George tribute song to Freddie is still my absolute favourite! He did it soooooooooooo brilliantly, I’m biased but heaps better than the original 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🙃! Never forget watching that. Goose bumps United. 

Oooooh bless your lovely T’Pau memory Jen! Ah that’s sooooo cute! It 200% reminds me of hospital radio. I’d just joined as a volunteer and was the youngest. China was soooooooooooo my favourite single. To this day, 35 years on 😳😳😳😳, it STILL remains one of my fave ever tunes. But I think, cos I was new and the youngest, they just let me add it to every playlist, sometimes twice in one show 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, as initially I just assisted the presenter. It was sooooo much fun, but that is my vivid memory as played it sooooooooooooo much 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🎧♥️

Userlevel 6
Badge

You might like my Christmas t-shirt @Bev - it’s a Wham! “Last Christmas” one with our lovely George on the front… and not forgetting Andrew Ridgely who was quite handsome himself back in the day.

Hospital radio must have been amazing!  I used to be the tea girl for our local station when I was around 15 or 16, those were such fun days, though I wasn’t allowed to do anything with the playlist :joy: what’s your fave memory from your days on hospital radio?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Gosh, you’ve kept that some years Jen, unless it’s a recent purchase! I reluctantly gave all my concert tees to charity, but couldn’t bear to part with the last Madonna concert tee I went to hee. Never wear but nice to look back at every so often hee. When Andrew came out of his reclusive life when George died, it was sooooo lovely to see him. I adored them equally, and altho he’s changed sooooooo much, he is such a divine peep, as are Shirlee and Pepsi of course. 

Yes I enjoyed my time at the radio, Jen. It’s all different now of course as everyone has their airbpods and iPads in oz, to listen and watch, but back then, it was a joy for the patients to put in requests and listen in anticipation in the eves. You know the fun side of radio indeed from your tea serving day’s, and it’s equally fun on the wards, as you also know Jen from porter work. The delight in tgevoatients faces, and they just love to chat. Lots didn’t get visitors, and lots were long term patients back then too. It felt rewarding to see their faces light up. Loved doing the Christmas shows on children’s wards, and lots of out and about broadcasts in country park events with celebrities. Met Kim Wilde, Keith Chegwin and Eddie Kidd, all to interview. Looking back, sooooooo many memories indeed Jen.  

Userlevel 6
Badge

Sadly @Bev it’s a new addition, I saw it online and had to buy it, it’s me and my childhood best mate’s favourite Christmas song… used to sing it while jumping up and down on her bed when we were kids :joy:

Aw bless you Bev, what a service you’ve provided, and no doubt touched the hearts of many!  You could write a book of all the amazing things you’ve done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee hee hee, I am sure we ALL could our Jen. But what's lovely is, without even realising til we sit and ponder🙇‍♀️, or sit writing here hee🤣, is just how many wonderful memories we have, almost always from childhood too. Sooooooo precious💕

Userlevel 6
Badge

I think this convo is the answer to “what made me happy today” @Bev as I love a bit of nostalgia!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah bless you! Ah that’s lovely Jen, lovely! Sometimes, until such a platform like this, we don’t reminisce often enough. I am quite good at doing it automatically tho🙇‍♀️, and can tell you are. The mindfulness thread, with writing tips on there this month, I think it’s made me even MORE aware this month💕💭💭💭💕. 

Even simple things, don’t larf, but just had a sneaky pack of beefy Hula Hoops🤣, and instantly found myself on the beach in Bournemouth🏖, on life our Jen, watching Red Arrows from the cliff. That is no lie, as a few years ago, I impulsively gone on the train 🚇one Saturday, really impulsively knowing the Reds were on, but had feared the weather would be rubbish so didn’t plan it. When it turned red hot☀️, and feeling fully fit back then, I just did it. Grabbed couple bags Hula Hoops and went! Needless to say, those beefy Hula Hoops, on life, remind me of that day every single time without fail! Funny innit hee! I remember forgetting how to get to the station, and ran all the way, asking locals the way, in a really panicking way, as had a set train to catch at exact time only. I seriously got on the train at the end of the day, with about two seconds to spare 😅😅😅😅😅😅but felt sooooo great, and smiled all way home. Back then, I guess I did slightly take my fitness for granted💪, but great memories of a fantastic day to look back on for sure Jen. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Thanks for reminding me @Bev - I need to get over to the Mindfulness thread as it’s right up my street!  I’ll make that tomorrow’s task!

What a wonderful memory Bev, and all you need to get there is a packet of beef hula hoops (which are one of the yummiest kinds!) - I’m starting to get peckish though… tea time isn’t too far off :joy:

Mmmm. Had a Milk Stout plus a little seasonal Blitzen 

Userlevel 6
Badge

How were they, @25 quid ?  The Riggwelter looks right up my street!