Hot Topic

What made me happy today

Show first post

1641 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I hear Dominic Cummings has written a book.  It is called “Shortcomings” and he is to do a personal signing of the same in Barnard Castle at SpecSavers.

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Travelled from South Devon to Little Stretton, Shropshire for leg 2 of the hol, and the sun is belting down 👍🌞

I post this here ‘cause it is a happy topic! Anybody visited the RHS gardens at Bridgewater yet?

No, but we had a lovely Bettys lunch at RHS Harrogate (Harlow Carr gardens) recently...

@25 quid I will be there in a few days time - Harlow Carr that is.

Well enjoy @G4RHL! The outdoor Betties takeaway is simpler and minimises lost planting time… 😉 

My bank manager will be with me in the form of a bit of plastic!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@25 quid I will be there in a few days time - Harlow Carr that is.

Enjoy 🌞😉🌞

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Tour De France

The Great Mark Cavendish

A truly remarkable achievement had every one crying in his team etc etc, up to the French team manager who said we need to rename the stage in Marks name..gave me goose bumps - absolutely outstanding!!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/29/mark-cavendish-cements-comeback-with-emotional-win-at-tour-de-france-cycling

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seeing 4 pm after having to suffer through a 4 hour meeting this morning. Made me totally unproductive this afternoon so tired now ha 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oooooooh yeah Lapa. Meetings are soooooo unnecessary. When can be said in four minutes, is drawn out over four hours 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄👎👎👎👎👎. Dull dull dull. As you say, makes you sooooooo unproductive, total opposite of what they’re trying to achieve, but work forces rarely learn. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oooooooh yeah Lapa. Meetings are soooooo unnecessary. When can be said in four minutes, is drawn out over four hours 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄👎👎👎👎👎. Dull dull dull. As you say, makes you sooooooo unproductive, total opposite of what they’re trying to achieve, but work forces rarely learn. 

Don’t think it’s possible for them to learn 😂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sunbathing in the garden.....so hot, like being abroad! 

I’ve been working inside and popping out now and again just to warm up...

Gave my mum and dad bear hugs yesterday. First time I’d seen them for real in eleven months!

There were tears. But it was wonderful. 

In no particular order:

16GB of New (additional) RAM arrived for PC, just hope it works okay when I whack it in, as 16GB is definitely not enough for me - I was going to get 32GB, but there’s some weird statement in the mobo manual which I think means it would only access 16GB much of the time anyway.

Heidi’s away for a friend’s birthday, so I can move things around the house to my heart’s content without being told they are ‘in the way’ - bit of luck I may get some sorting done before she gets back at the weekend.

Managed to, at least temporarily, find a home for Kate’s crochet wool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Gave my mum and dad bear hugs yesterday. First time I’d seen them for real in eleven months!

Oh I bet that was fab @Marc 👍❤👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In no particular order:

16GB of New (additional) RAM arrived for PC, just hope it works okay when I whack it in, as 16GB is definitely not enough for me - I was going to get 32GB, but there’s some weird statement in the mobo manual which I think means it would only access 16GB much of the time anyway.

Heidi’s away for a friend’s birthday, so I can move things around the house to my heart’s content without being told they are ‘in the way’ - bit of luck I may get some sorting done before she gets back at the weekend.

How many bits is your OS?

In no particular order:

How many bits is your OS?

Window 10 Home 64 Bit
The bit in the mobo manual states something like this:

Dual Channel Mode only accesses the amount of RAM across both channels of the lowest capacity stick, the rest of the RAM becomes available only in single-channel mode.

Therefore, at least as I understand it, and it’s been argued in several forums what exactly it’s intended to mean, someone even asked HP tech support, and the answer they got wasn’t any help.

I have 2 * 8GB sticks of PC25600 (Channel A)

If I add 2 * 16GB sticks of PC25600 (Channel B)

Then what the PC sees is:
 in ‘dual-channel’ mode:

2 * 8GB sticks of PC25600 (Channel A)

2 * 8GB sticks of PC25600 (Channel B)

In ‘single channel’ mode, it should just see a combined 48GB of PC25600.

However, not knowing how often my PC is operating in Dual Channel mode, I saw no point buying RAM it may not see, last year, when the cost differential between 16GB and 32GB was only £20 - it didn’t matter so much, this year when the difference is £70, to me at least, it matters.
I asked in the Overclockers forum as well, but the best suggestion I could get there was ‘buy 32GB, and sell your old RAM if it doesn’t work’ - so no-one seems to know for sure.

That’s what I get for not buying RAM when I wanted to, and deciding to add to my Xmas present list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That’s fab news. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m happy that I’ve finally moved into my house. Took a lot longer to get it where I want it but least I’m in yay 

That’s lovely @Marc 

Badge +3

Landed a big order a short while ago at work l. Gonna have an incredibly busy summer installing network and servers in 10 schools in one trust. 

so with no chance of time off, I’ve treated myself to a nice new monitor. Energy efficient and a good le cable connection too as it powers my laptop :)

I rarely buy stuff just for me these days. 

I’ve treated myself to a nice new monitor. Energy efficient and a good le cable connection too as it powers my laptop :)

I rarely buy stuff just for me these days. 

Nice! This monitor sounds good @Jowl what’s the make/model (if you don’t mind sharing) :slight_smile: