What are your favourite old TV adverts?

• 10 November 2020
  • 17 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6277 replies

Maybe it’s the time of year, but I’m watching a bit more TV than usual and find myself muttering how TV adverts are not what they used to be! :wink:

So I thought we could have bit of fun with this here in the Pure Planet Community - what are your fav (or most annoying!) TV ads?

A lot of them seem to be on YouTube, so you get bonus points (not that there are any points available here :laughing: ) for embedding a video.

One of mine was the Madness-style Colgate toothpaste ad. I definitely remember reinacting this at school a few times!

I’m sure I’ll remember a few more, but over to you guys! 

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This does it for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This does it for me

Ha ha, I was gonna say this one! Mint! 👍

Destroying one of my mother’s favourite tunes:

Hahahahaha nice one @Gwyndy blimey that’s just taken me straight back :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Charlie says......

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Love this one. 

All the car ones. I’ll try find them on YouTube.

Then years later the laws/rules changed and car adverts got really boring.

Badge +1

Had to delete,  video went weird 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

All the car ones. I’ll try find them on YouTube.

Then years later the laws/rules changed and car adverts got really boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij2LNSgDufM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEl9ZBJ5zCU

Unfortunately the Strada commercial lasted longer than the cars did….

Unfortunately the Strada commercial lasted longer than the cars did….

Not in my second-hand experience, my circle of friends had: A Strada 65, two 105TCs (one series 1 in black, one series 2 in black), two 130TCs (one white, one red), and I have memories of a dark blue 55ES in the hands of someone.
This was somewhere between 1991 and 1998, so even the ‘newest’ car was at least 6 years old.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Do you mean to say you watch the advertisements?! They pass me by, my brain switches off. I rarely see them in newspapers and magazines. I was once the subject of a survey about a recent advertisement and the interviewer was getting more frustrated because I had not seen the advertisement despite apparently it being prominently displayed in a newspaper I read. It turned out it was one for Barclays Bank. A full page one. 

Talking of that I believe full page or large advertisements are not seen as much as smaller ones. But that’s a different subject.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I loved this one. 

Can’t believe it was 2007, seems like way way back 🤪

@David j an absolute classic :joy:  whenever I hear that song I think of the gorilla! Cadburys often do great ads :ok_hand:

This one is frequently sung in my house… 

Ah, thanks guys I’m loving watching all these old ads.

But I think I’ve found the one that beats them all. Back in the days when ads for cigarettes and cigars was allowed! :astonished:

Remember this one? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Classic 😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Oooh used to soooooooooo love that one! My hair looks a bit like that after me home cut 😂😂😂😂😂💇‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Oooh used to soooooooooo love that one! My hair looks a bit like that after me home cut 😂😂😂😂😂💇‍♀️

😂😂😂😂