Walk 10,000 steps a day

• Community Manager
  • 6972 replies
I'm a little late to the New Year (new decade) resolution thing.

But inspired by this great New Year poll from @Bev I've decided to be healthy and aim to walk at least 10,000 steps, briskly, per day.

I'm not sure how true it is that 10k steps a day is good for you, but I figured it can't be bad for me, can it?

Not that it's a race or anything, but if anyone feels like joining me in this little challenge, a little friendly rivalry will probably help!

Here's my daily average for the year so far, a week in.

I'll be sure to keep posting here of my progress πŸ˜‚

185 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Blimey @BevΒ , how long is your hall?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We go out every morning for stroll or briskΒ walk before breakfast. Round 1 or 2 parks aproxΒ 2 - 4 miles. Fairly active during the day.Β Couldn’t tell yer how many steps...as that would drive me nuts.Β 

You’ve opened your hall extension I see! πŸ˜‰Β 

Jon1;45668:
Happy new year and all. Nice target , i just hope this does not involve moving your desk so its further to the kettle?????

Actually @Jon1 that is a great way of getting those steps in the bag.
Our office is about a mile long as you know (well OK it feels a mile long) and going to the coffee machine or the loo is 75 steps each way. So, 150 steps for each coffee or 'comfort break'. Do that 5 times a day and hey! That's 750 steps already!
Badge +2

I'mΒ already signed up for 2021 miles in 2021 with my walking buddies and the treadmill arrived today....so no excuses !!πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈΒ Β 

Β 

Β 

I'mΒ already signed up for 2021 miles in 2021 with my walking buddies and the treadmill arrived today....so no excuses !!πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈΒ Β 

What an excellent ideaΒ @LUCKY JOΒ 

2021 miles in 2021. That’s….. *checks notes* ….about 5 and a half miles per day!Β 

Easy peasy!Β :sweat_smile:

Just back from a ski week. First day was awesome with loads of fresh powder to play in. I more than tripled my usual active calorie burn.

what a day...
πŸ˜Šβ›·
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ended up at 18,369 Duppy, good few laps πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘, 10.1 miles

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I'm hoping to get out more, I'm afraid the cold, dark, wet days have made me a couch potato. Up, shower, kettle on TV on, and there I'll stay, and much to easy to jump in the car if I need to go for milk etc

We try to go out for a walk most days and it varies from about 2 miles to 4 so perhaps 1000 miles is achievable. I did think of also swimming 250 miles in 2021 to find I already do that! I swim 1120 meters each day - provided the gym is open!

First time in about six weeks or so that I've walked 10k steps, thanks to Covid-19 lockdown and a v poorly back.

It's funny that I used to take it v much for granted, not so long ago.

Feels good to be moving. And in the sunshine 😎
Think the back’s on the mend
Mind you, might be a different story tomorrow

I’ve not worked out how to a squiggly map thingy like @25 quid

One step at a time! 😜

I’ve hit 4.4 miles/day in 2020, which is more than the 2 ish miles per day in previous years. I’m thanking the nags/encouragementΒ from my Apple Watch for the improvement!

Β 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not long back from a gorgeΒ walk. Great if fully wrapped up πŸ§€πŸ§£πŸ§¦πŸ‘’, sunny spells β˜€οΈ, rawΒ winds πŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨and some gorgeous 🐴🐴🐴on the way, to feed πŸ‘

Perfect πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

And the steps looked after themselves πŸ‘πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Very pleasedΒ 

Β 

Well done - good stuff - get on the good foot

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
That’s a bit more like it! πŸ‘

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Come on people, get those steps uploaded for all to see! Any newbies just joining PP? Feel free to take a screenshot of your daily steps, and share on here. Not a competition at all, just a way to motivate one another πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
LOL LOL LOL πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘Ž

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Happy new year and all. Nice target , i just hope this does not involve moving your desk so its further to the kettle?????
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I been watching you guys with the gizmo's and funny thing is my mate offered me his old device which I gratefully declined.
So what I've done is counted my steps from an average street/s lengths where I live etc.
Just review my route x the streets calculating the approx distance.
You should try it..very stimulating, saves batteries and will drive you crazy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ha ha, good to see that you maybe suffering (or enjoying) similar absurdities - updated...
But what ever you do don't get caught out by thinking you must not step on the cracks in the pavements, because things will quickly slide out of control....but theres help in the community.

I've got a bike compute thing, but cba to set it up again.

I will have a think.

Note book, pencil with rubber end, one of those measuring wheels, a sense of humour and not put off by the glancing looks.
I find dark glasses help.
Stop watch.
​​​​​​​Keep accurate activity log.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sounds all great 25 squids including those fine refreshing ales!
Think Woz is currently transferring his steps log onto his spread sheet with circular formulas for walking around pOst boxes.
I've done loads of stomping today running up and down stairs, cos its house work day hooray!
Must get back on my bike...
Marc;48523:

More recently the scientists reckon we should ditch the 10k steps a day target, and instead go for a few minutes of really fast walking. Aim for 10 minutes walking as fast as possible (think waddling duck) and do that two or three times a day.
​​​​​​​Simples!

Got itπŸ‘πŸ˜
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not a bad start to this new year

Safe indoor hallway running πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

Β 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can do it, Dave πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Userlevel 7
Badge +9