Walk 10,000 steps a day

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies
I'm a little late to the New Year (new decade) resolution thing.

But inspired by this great New Year poll from @Bev I've decided to be healthy and aim to walk at least 10,000 steps, briskly, per day.

I'm not sure how true it is that 10k steps a day is good for you, but I figured it can't be bad for me, can it?

Not that it's a race or anything, but if anyone feels like joining me in this little challenge, a little friendly rivalry will probably help!

Here's my daily average for the year so far, a week in.

I'll be sure to keep posting here of my progress πŸ˜‚

113 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Happy new year and all. Nice target , i just hope this does not involve moving your desk so its further to the kettle?????
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Fab thread Marc πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Love it! πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ
Jon1;45668:
Happy new year and all. Nice target , i just hope this does not involve moving your desk so its further to the kettle?????

Actually @Jon1 that is a great way of getting those steps in the bag.
Our office is about a mile long as you know (well OK it feels a mile long) and going to the coffee machine or the loo is 75 steps each way. So, 150 steps for each coffee or 'comfort break'. Do that 5 times a day and hey! That's 750 steps already!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Done 11199 today so far πŸ‘πŸ‘ŸπŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ‘
Bev;45716:
Done 11199 today so far πŸ‘πŸ‘ŸπŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ‘

Nice work @Bev
You're not far behind me now!!! 🀣
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Oh the latest now, is it’s not about 10k steps per day πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„, but 30mins of brisk walking per day, to make you slightly out of breath, regardless of number of steps πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„. This was on the Trust me I’m a Doctor new series last night. Forever changing the goal posts πŸ™„πŸ‘Ž, I shall be sticking to the 10k aim. It’s fun and challenging; as you say in one of your posts today re plastic Marc, β€œNothing is ever straightforward β€œ πŸ™„
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
This’ll take some beating today, Marc! πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Those 22 did make me slightly out of breath tho, so they do count πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Beyond ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🀦*♀️
Bev;45962:
This’ll take some beating today, Marc! πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Those 22 did make me slightly out of breath tho, so they do count πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Beyond ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🀦*♀️

Well there are some of those days @Bev where we need to take it easy, that's all.
It's important we listen to our bodies.....
...... and then walk 20k steps the following day to make up for it πŸ˜‰
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Exactly Marc, thanks for understanding πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
That’s a bit more like it! πŸ‘

This was interesting. How much exercise do you need?
​​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000d2cn/trust-me-im-a-doctor-series-9-episode-1
25 quid;46106:
This was interesting. How much exercise do you need?
​​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000d2cn/trust-me-im-a-doctor-series-9-episode-1

Found it interesting that hot and cold drinks keep your body more or less the same temp. when exercising - but the hot drink makes you sweat more.

Don't think I could drink a cup of tea while on the treadmill, I'll stick with squash 😁

(I always have squash for cardio - I find it 'tricks' my body into thinking it's an energy drink like powerade)

In fact, would anyone really have a hot drink during a gym session?πŸ€”
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
LOVE how you can trick your body into thinking squash is an energy drink Nat πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘. Good if it works! My body sooooooooo knows! Even the new Lucozade recipe leaves my body craving more now! It sooooo has to be Monster Energy, eeeeek 😬
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Feel free to join in with the steps sharing everyone πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ŸπŸ‘žπŸ‘’πŸ€³πŸƒ*β™‚οΈπŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸšΆ*β™€οΈπŸšΆ*β™‚οΈπŸšΆ*β™€οΈπŸšΆ*♂️!

Don't be shy! Get your sneakersπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ out the gym bag, blow the dust off your FitBit (not a euphemism πŸ˜‚) or phoneπŸ“± or Apple Watch ⌚️, and add your screenshots here πŸ‘πŸ‘

Bev;46363:
Feel free to join in with the steps sharing everyone πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ŸπŸ‘žπŸ‘’πŸ€³πŸƒ*β™‚οΈπŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸšΆ*β™€οΈπŸšΆ*β™‚οΈπŸšΆ*β™€οΈπŸšΆ*♂️!

Don't be shy! Get your sneakersπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ out the gym bag, blow the dust off your FitBit (not a euphemism πŸ˜‚) or phoneπŸ“± or Apple Watch ⌚️, and add your screenshots here πŸ‘πŸ‘

Getting a bit low on battery there @Bev 😁
Great stuff on getting those steps in.
Feels pretty good, doesn't it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
You made me LOL re the πŸ”‹πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, cos I’m so observant too like that, when viewing photos! Yeah it’s fully charged now πŸ˜‚, do like a 100%πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

Yeah it does feel good re walking. Proving challenging but determined πŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Was against strong gales and heavy rain yesterday but persevered

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Lot easier when the skies are sooo blue and a bit of winter sun β˜€οΈon your cheeks πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I been watching you guys with the gizmo's and funny thing is my mate offered me his old device which I gratefully declined.
So what I've done is counted my steps from an average street/s lengths where I live etc.
Just review my route x the streets calculating the approx distance.
You should try it..very stimulating, saves batteries and will drive you crazy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha, I thought it was just me...two postboxes are within a 6-7 min brisk walk approx to either, so I decided to count the steps to each from home, with the thought that one must be nearer.
I got a different answer every time I tried it there both there and back and to each one, but so far on average it turns out that there is virtually nothing to choose between them. I need to refine the measuring, any ideas?
Strutt G;47431:
I been watching you guys with the gizmo's and funny thing is my mate offered me his old device which I gratefully declined.
So what I've done is counted my steps from an average street/s lengths where I live etc.
Just review my route x the streets calculating the approx distance.
You should try it..very stimulating, saves batteries and will drive you crazy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ha ha, good to see that you maybe suffering (or enjoying) similar absurdities - updated...
But what ever you do don't get caught out by thinking you must not step on the cracks in the pavements, because things will quickly slide out of control....but theres help in the community.

I've got a bike compute thing, but cba to set it up again.

I will have a think.

Note book, pencil with rubber end, one of those measuring wheels, a sense of humour and not put off by the glancing looks.
I find dark glasses help.
Stop watch.
​​​​​​​Keep accurate activity log.
Bev;47427:

Lot easier when the skies are sooo blue and a bit of winter sun β˜€οΈon your cheeks πŸ‘

Wow @Bev 22k steps yesterday? Bet you slept well last night! 🚢*♀️
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
You'd think so Marc, but no, still awake all night bar half hour. Crazy!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Come on people, get those steps uploaded for all to see! Any newbies just joining PP? Feel free to take a screenshot of your daily steps, and share on here. Not a competition at all, just a way to motivate one another πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸƒ*β™€οΈπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ
Smashing it @Bev! πŸ’ͺπŸƒ*♀️

I've only been averaging 8,000 a day so far, you're putting me to shame! 😁