Trick or Treat - what will you do?

Halloween's just round the corner, and with it comes Trick or Treating!

Will you be putting out a bowl of sweets, or do you prefer to turn all the lights off and pretend you're not home ( @Marc :p)?

Fun 'fact': apparently, trick or treating originated as people dressing up as saints and reciting songs or poems from door to door. Children would receive 'soul cakes' in return (reported to be similar to hot cross buns). This tradition from 'All Souls' Day' merged into Halloween and eventually became what we know it as today! Though it's worth noting, the origins are disputed.

Either way, it's a bit like marmite - some people love it, some people hate it!
Will you be trick or treating this year, or staying well away?:rolleyes:

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
As always, I'll be going for the second option, turn the lights off and unplug the doorbell.
I know it's early, but Bah humbug
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Sorry but I'm not keen on Trick or Treat! πŸ‘ΏπŸ’€πŸ‘½πŸ‘ΎπŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
Userlevel 5
When is it again? Remind me so I can be out for the evening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I used to get lots of little sweeties and chocs in and really young children would come a knocking with their parents. That was nice. But last few years I’ve stocked up and no knockers so not gonna bother now. Shops deffo deffo deffo trying to get it as popular as it is in πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έbut I just don’t think it’s gonna work πŸ‘Ž
Badge +2
Our kids might go around the estate. We're quite often out but when we forget to stock up, we get visitors. When we stock up, nobody turns up!
I do much prefer it with the sweets though. When I were a lad we got and gave money. Remember going around with a mate at 15 one year then off to the local dodgy off-licence for some beers with out loot :D

We were in Toronoto, Canada last year for Halloween - and I have to say it was fantastic. 99% of the neighbourhood had decorated their homes. If the lights were on and house decorated there were sweets, or more usually people on the porch waiting to give you sweets. If the houses were dark, you didn't go there. The atmopshere was fantastic and loads of people out with some massive decorations. Although it's got bigger in the UK, it was a realy experience in Canada - and much more enjoyable.

(sadly we had to dump a load of sweets coming home - we just didnt have room for it all!!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Wowsa! That looks awesome πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘! Can’t imagine the U.K. reaching that scale tho πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸ’€πŸ•·
Badge +2
To be fair that's just how my kids return from school 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Big bowl of goodies, cookies and chocolate. 2lt bottle diet coke then lock the gates turn the lights off put the dvd player on sit back and scoff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Great post @Jowl - love the pics! :D

I have family in Texas and spent a Halloween there when I was younger, all the houses were decorated like you said :o
And the kids' trick or treat bags were the same height as they were, they're massive!! Enough 'candy' to last the whole year πŸ˜‚

I like what you said about if the lights are on/house is decorated kids go there, if house is dark then they don't, it's good to be respectful of those who clearly don't want visitors!
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
My boys and I went around our estate last year, with our dog Poppy (with a cape on). We then gave out sweets for any trick or treaters. Will accept visitors again, boys may decide they are too old this year to visit others. We shall see.
Daspy;40557:
My boys and I went around our estate last year, with our dog Poppy (with a cape on). We then gave out sweets for any trick or treaters. Will accept visitors again, boys may decide they are too old this year to visit others. We shall see.

Putting a cape on the dog - nice touch!πŸ†’

I'm sure that would've bagged a few extra sweets:raisinghands:
That awkward moment when you buy Trick or Treat sweets at the start of the week, and by the day before Halloween they've all magically disappeared....

Badge +2
I don't think you're sorry one little bit @Nataly :D

We didn't have any trick or treaters. Not one 😞
But that does mean we have spare Haribo 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think this year may be very very different for the Trick and Treaters, and even if they did go a knocking, I don’t think many would answer!

But COVID doesn’t have to take away the fun of cooking with πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒor maybe carving, so feel free to post any Halloweeny stuff here!

Blood soup πŸ‘ΉπŸ‘ΉπŸ‘Ή

Β 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Halloweeny Blood soup πŸ”ͺπŸ‘Ή

Β 

akaπŸ˜‚ Bevs Baby pumpkin πŸŽƒ, beetroot & Butter-bean soup 🍡

Β 

I made this recipe up myself, but the blood curdling colour makes it perfect for serving up on Halloweeny! πŸ‘ΉπŸ”ͺπŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸ˜³

Β 

Baby squash

2 tablespoons rapeseed oil

Bunch spring onions

1 potato (with skin)

1 red chilli🌢(deseeded)

600ml vegetable stock (2 veggie oxo cubes)

2 baby beetroots (cooked)

1 beef tomato πŸ…

Tin butter beans

Seasoning to taste

Β 

1. Wrap butternut squash in silver foil, and roast whole for one hour in oven.
  2. Cut in half and scoop out soft flesh.
  3. Add flesh to large pan on hob, of hot rapeseed oil.
  4. Add chopped springies.
  5. Add sliced potato πŸ₯”.
  6. Stir in chopped deseeded 🌢, baby beets and chopped πŸ….
  7. Add boiling veg stock, using 600ml boiling water and two veg oxo cubes.
  8. Stir periodically, high heat, for twenty mins until veg softened.
  9. Blend to soup consistency.
  10. Top with cooked butter beans.
  11. Season to taste.

Β 

Makes for a wonderfully hearty farty, pre Halloweeny πŸ‘ΉπŸ˜ˆπŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸ’€meal.

Β 

😈😈😈😳πŸ”ͺπŸŽƒCook it if you dare! πŸŽƒπŸ”ͺ😳😈😈😈

Love the Halloween recipe @Bev!Β :grin: Β that looks good!Β 

We’re planning on doing some pumpkin carving tomorrow, including cooking up the pumpkin seeds and making some hummusΒ :sunglasses: Β 

I don’t think there’ll be any Trick or Treaters this year (obviously) but we’ll be buying some Halloweeny sweets anywayΒ :joy: