This year's Christmas ads

It appears that this year’s Christmas ads have started hitting the screens - does 4/5 November still feel a bit early to anyone else? :open_mouth:

What does everyone think of this year’s ads? Here’s the John Lewis one for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet… 

Personally, I’m not too sure about this year’s one! :grimacing:

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

As long as Aldi bring back Kevin the Carrot, I don't care about anything else, and yes the beginning of November is far too early

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Saw the first showing of JL indeed last night 2015hrs, and like you our Nat, soooo not sure. Not even a heartwarming song, fab track yes, but it’s not for a Christmas advert, and just didn’t feel it this year. No warmth in it at all. 

Sometimes they grow, but I don’t think this one will. They have moved too far away from Christmas. Way too early, I agree. It’s on my life when I say I have to mute the VERY Christmas advert every single time it comes on! 😳🙉🙈. Just too too soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

re JL ad

I may be wrong but it seems to me that in an attempt to appeal to all by not upsetting any particular ethnic, gender (or less so religious) group, it will appeal to few. 

E.T.  phone earth (wherever you are)

Saw the first showing of JL indeed last night 2015hrs, and like you our Nat, soooo not sure. Not even a heartwarming song, fab track yes, but it’s not for a Christmas advert, and just didn’t feel it this year. No warmth in it at all. 

Hey @Bev 

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there that it somehow lacked the warmth and emotion that their previous ads have had. The dinosaur one is my fav of theirs. :smile:

@Duppy I’m sure Kevin will be back - those Kevin toys are unbelievably popular aren’t they. Sell out in minutes. Maybe they’ll take the winning spot in Christmas ads this year. :open_mouth:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve yet to hear a single person today, Nat, say they like it. Think they’ve made a huge mistake this year 👎👎👎👎👎

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s visually poor, methinks they need to find some decent creatives especially after the insurance ad debacle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Have to say, the Vodafone ad is terrific 👏👍👏👍👏

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUIlPftPIU

Can no longer embed 🤷‍♀️👎

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Testing...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What a fantastic idea Vodaphone! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As long as Aldi bring back Kevin the Carrot, I don't care about anything else, and yes the beginning of November is far too early

They’ve got it absolutely spot on this year, yet again, Duppy! Sooooooo good, love it! 🥕💕👏👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Someone told me that cuthbert the caterpillar was being arrested in the Aldi advert 😂 not seen it myself so can’t say for myself. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIL8Kl-r0bo

Enjoy it our Laps 🥕👏👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Someone told me that cuthbert the caterpillar was being arrested in the Aldi advert 😂 not seen it myself so can’t say for myself. 

Maybe he’s been arrested by the peelers? He’s probably been set up by Colin for perpetrating a slice of impersonation, (the charges are dicey, they’ll never stick) or some grater crime but there’s not a shred of evidence…

I’m wasted on here...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The above bearing in mind that M&S don’t yet have an anthropomorphic carrot...but Aldi still stole the caterpillar... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The above bearing in mind that M&S don’t yet have an anthropomorphic carrot...but Aldi still stole the caterpillar... 

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Really love the Pampers Premature babies advert 😢💗

Truly love McDonalds Reindeer ready ad 💕💕💕🦌🥕

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Think Tesco may take some beating, purely for getting the COVID app into an advert, with Santa getting the all clear 👍👏👍👏. Ruddy clever. 

Question. How many I wonder don’t see advertisements? I am oblivious to most that appear whether in a paper or on the TV. My mind switches past them or ignores them. Including full page ones. I just don’t see them. It is as if my brain recognises  it is an advertisement and says move on.

I once had a puzzled lady on the phone doing a survey about a particular advertisement. Asked me if I had noticed it. She kept dropping little clues about it but no, I had no recollection. She pressed on and asked about the paper I read. She clearly was not meant to tell me who she was doing the survey for but told me it was a full page one in the paper and had been for a few days. “Have you not seen it?” “No” I replied. I was told that rarely does she get this far as by now she wanted to ask me what I thought of it. She gave up. Then told me the advertisement was a full page advertisement for Barclays Bank and had been widely published!

Which reminds me. Most advertisements are more effective as smaller ones and not ¼ page, ½ page or full pages. But that is a different story.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We were always taught in NHS too, our Rich, less is more when it comes to notices. Plastered all over walls, toilet doors etc, just ignored but one or two dotted around is much more likely to catch the eye of an employee. It’s very true. 

I have to say, I AM aware of TV adverts, but on life I am muting more and more. The one springing to mind, is Daisy Daisy Daisy Marc Jacobs. It’s a game now to reach for the remote before her annoying voice says the D word 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Saying that, I LOVE Daisy by Marc Jacobs and the fact it’s the one advert I remember more than any other, despite its annoyance, means they’ve probably achieved what they set out to do! 👍👏👏👏👍🌼🙉😖🤣

Back on thread, my fave Christmas one right now, is Papa Joes 🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕💕👍🎶🎶🎶