• 4344 replies
What do you think of this idea?

Is Test, Track and Trace for you?

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Bev
​​​​​​​Great post...
​​​​​​​I'm genuinely not sure, but it's not just because of the privacy concerns.
On one hand if it serves to reduce the R number it's a good thing (with the caveat that I have to ask whether the government are capable of running such a scheme successfully), but on the other hand I can see so many ways it could go horribly wrong from a human perspective.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Its a worthy Poll Bev and Woz says it all.
For me, my phone has always remained as just a phone and because its old the App's don't twerk.
I'm not carting about my iPad so I fall in a gap.
UM should I should comply, and get a cheap smart phone - ponder ponder.
Nice poll @Bev 😊
Looks neck and neck at the moment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Privacy is a major concern for me. I have my entire life on my phone, banking, pension, broker and it is very easy with a little know how to pick off info in a public place using bluetooth.
I do like the idea of a second phone and use that purily for a track and trace device ( using a differant gmail acct ) i think its an important app to help control the spread of this virus until such time as a vaccine is available and slightly reckless and selfish not to use it.

However sadly some will refuse on principle and others will simply lie in order to carry on with life and proberly even lie in order to bag a test.

​​​​​​​normal life is a long way off and may never return to how it was which in some ways may not be a bad thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I thought the same our Jonny re lies. Pathetic, but it’ll happen. I’m sooooooo not a fan of Bluetooth, but Matt Hancock sounded very very convincing yesterday re it’s safety re privacy and battery life etc, they know something like this can’t be released half heartedly. I’m keen to try if the IOW pilot goes successfully.

​​​​​​​Like you, I believe life will never return to “normal” but I’m thrilled re that! Slowing that greedy fast paced world down, improving hygiene considerably (soooooo needed) and most of all, teaching the world to stop and enjoy those simple things in this world of ours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I have great faith in our scientists, tech engineers and I am privileged to live in this great country. However, I agree with Jon 1’s concerns and agree that this initiative should be supported, together with other strategies running in parallel.
​​​​​​​Regards
Great poll @Bev!

It would be a tragedy if NHSX don’t reconsider their decision to store shared contact data centrally.

The potential benefits of their approach will come to nothing if it risks people avoiding their app altogether due to the downsides of its design.

Contact tracking could be a great way to unlock lockdown if done in a battery and privacy friendly way. Importantly, in the Apple/Google system your contact data stays on your phone and location services are disabled. If and when you get the virus, unlike the NHS system, you may choose to share your contact history anonymously.

In addition, how will international travel be quickly restored, if the UK use a system incompatible with the efficient, privacy-preserving global standard thoughtfully built by those unlikely bedfellows, Apple and Google.

Today it looks like there might be a legal challenge due to the government's greedy implementation. The key point is that this current UK app could morph into something bigger and more insidious.

/rant
Apparently the NHS app only works if the app's open and running in the foreground. So, won't work if it's running in the background. Can this really be true?! Seems silly and a bit of an oversight.
NHSX has claimed they can wake in the background, process the contact and then sleep again. However, it certainly is an unholy mess. We need a decent app implementation that’s works well and that people trust.
Badge
Yes, definitely. Anything that helps save lives and protects the front line workers..
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

And 2988 new cases in the last 24 hrs 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀, that’s a staggering increase from yesterday’s 1800 odd. I’m sticking to wearing 😷as soon as I leave my front door, and only doing essential food shopping. 

#waytoomuchcomplacency

Userlevel 3

For me ‘essential food shopping’ is the internet.  I’m not going near shops unless I absolutely have to.  

I go out to walk the dog, and commute (to an office designed for about 50 with 3 people in it, so can go some days without seeing anyone).

I go out to walk the dog, and commute (to an office designed for about 50 with 3 people in it, so can go some days without seeing anyone).

Are you still going into the office @TonyHoyle ?

I’m planning on trying it out this Thursday. Looks like there’ll be 3 of us in!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I was certain there’d be an app to download, but seems with Apple, you simply turn Bluetooth on and you’re traceable! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey bev. There is an app to download, the apple and Google version on everyones phones is differant to the NHS covid19 app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Got it our Mave 👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏, thank you, thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Phewww .

I was going to download it but then there dont seem much point as i will be tested upon arrival in germany on sunday. 

The test itself dont half give the nostril a work out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Gosh are you going that soon our Mave?! 🙀🙀🙀😢😢😢

Yes I’ve heard it’s a pretty awful test 😤😤😤🤧🤧🤧

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed bevvy,

just about packed drive to folkstone on saturday get me head down for a bit then a 4.30 am eurotunnel. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ah it’s happened so quick! Bet you’re sooooooo excited, hope you will find time to update us on how you’re getting on, once settled of course our Mave 👍🐎🐎🐎🐎

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have no problems downloading the app and have done so. I don’t see privacy is an issue and generally is not if you take care how you use the internet and in addition ensure sites have you opted out of all but essential cookies etc.  They all ought to in the UK and Europe by law but…..!

If more people use the app it just might get the penny to drop that people themselves can help stop the virus spreading using that rarely seen commodity, common sense. Well Voltaire said it is not common!

Also I am all in favour in us having ID cards, digital ones, and having DNA registered. I have nothing to hide. The advantages of all such outweigh any concerns. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The test it self gets right up your nose, but after 6 or so you kinda get used to it as you know what to expect. How heavy handed the tester is also has a bearing on the matter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

It would be just my luck for the stick up my nose to come out of my ear. Probably a good way to de-wax at the same time. 🤢

Userlevel 3

The new app is pretty hard for the government to abuse.. nothing leaves your phone, only google know where you’ve been, it doesn’t even ask for your name, just the first half of your postcode.  I was pretty sceptical of the old one but someone has really put the effort in this time.

Userlevel 3

Are you still going into the office @TonyHoyle ?

I’m planning on trying it out this Thursday. Looks like there’ll be 3 of us in!

I’m not really productive at home.. much prefer work.  The commute helps me clear my head too.