Supermarket Loyalty Points

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I believe that Supermarket loyalty points are a con?

Do we get sucked in and believe that the loyalty points are a bonus when in fact, we are paying for it!
- Marketing Department costs and the added daft ideas like 2 for 1 and more wasted food
- The cost of administering the loyalty schemes
- STACK's of plastic cards and keyring fobs
- Posted paper waste
- Time wasted at the check out scanning vouchers and churning more paper waste offers

Not just a thought, its been bugging me for donkeys and it started one year when a supermarket posted their bluff stating ah ha! - we are saving your points for Christmas.

I called and said na na to reverse this arrangement and shopped elsewhere.
For me supermarkets are like banks and building society's loyalty left long ago.

10 replies

Badge +2
Strutt G;29972:
Hi Jowl,

The quality of super market vehicle fuel, some say it makes no difference and some say as you have said!
In the main I use my local Esso and a few years ago I thought my car did not run as well on Shell Petrol.
I did put some additive in when I went down West a few months ago and my S reg Ford Focus steamed down the Motorway.

Now considering next vehicle and by Oct 2020.
It's a headache and does not fill me with any enthusiasm.
So I get a newer car and now I should look after the thing more.
Purchase v Lease and maybe lease due to the ongoing changes.
Dizzy... best not think about.........

With you on the next car purchase. Want to go electric but I'm not quote there yet - (range/cost/infra etc) so considering a lease. But at the moment I'm thinking I'll keep mine a bit longer and put the repayments aside to build a deposit for the next car. Either that or a dealer give me an offetr I can;t refuse. I kinda like to be in this position though.

As for supermarket fuel, I dismissed the idea at first - "fuel is fuel" But I did quite a lot of reserch into it and buying 'branded' DOES make a difference. And although a small sample I know of many people/cars that have needed repair/attention after running cheap supermarket stuff. Including my wife last car. A friends BMW need a very large repair indeed. That said, the one local supermarket in particular seemed to be the cause of many of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jon1;29983:
A free coffee from waitrose on a saturday only? Ours gives them out free with any purchase, but you do have to take your own cup. Not the best flavour but still cheaper than starbucks.
As an old hand working for DIAGIO you tend to find those that use loyalty points and take up the offers pay what tesco expect, those that dont take up the offer are putting extra profit in the tills. Most offers are paid for by the suppliers.

Only in range of Waitrose on a Saturday! (long story!!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thats right Jon1 with every purchase and your own cup.
The Coffee is ok to average, Starbucks is average including all the other brands like Costa etc.
In the main they use over roasted beans to get high extractions and less real flavour.
I get my freshly roasted beans delivered, there a light to mid tan colour, you get to understand about different coffee flavours.
Its wether peeps actually like the coffee or go for a coffee flavoured shake..

Yep the supermarket deals means there are pros and cons.
Suppliers pressured to stump up and also introduce own promotional offers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
A free coffee from waitrose on a saturday only? Ours gives them out free with any purchase, but you do have to take your own cup. Not the best flavour but still cheaper than starbucks.
As an old hand working for DIAGIO you tend to find those that use loyalty points and take up the offers pay what tesco expect, those that dont take up the offer are putting extra profit in the tills. Most offers are paid for by the suppliers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Get your point Stephen,

The schemes are out there so its up to the consumer to resource whats on offer.
I just think that we are paying for it in a round about way and some more than others if you do not take it up.

We get a free coffee, the brand has a target profit margin of x%.
So the costs of the coffee machines, the labour of cleaning, the product costs are spread onto other products.
However, it's nice to feel we are getting something for free and I'm being OTT.

Have great weekend
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Jowl,

The quality of super market vehicle fuel, some say it makes no difference and some say as you have said!
In the main I use my local Esso and a few years ago I thought my car did not run as well on Shell Petrol.
I did put some additive in when I went down West a few months ago and my S reg Ford Focus steamed down the Motorway.

Now considering next vehicle and by Oct 2020.
It's a headache and does not fill me with any enthusiasm.
So I get a newer car and now I should look after the thing more.
Purchase v Lease and maybe lease due to the ongoing changes.
Dizzy... best not think about.........
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I have to confess I'm loyal to a wide range of supermarkets! I get my free coffee from Waitrose every Saturday, and the best thing about Tesco clubcard points has been using them for outings for the grandkids that otherwise we would have balked at paying - £197 for London Zoo, free with the points.
I rarely choose where to shop on the basis of the loyalty scheme... prefer to check on mysupermarket.com where some of the key things we want are on offer. One of the joys of retirement!
Stephen
Badge +2
We used to get reasonable value form the Tesco points but It didn't particularly encrouage us to shop at tesco. A quick keyring tag to scan isn't an issue IMO.

We tend to shop at Aldi now - which i generally find better food for less. (bourbon biscuits from Asda or Tesco of course)

The loyalty scheme I do use and even go out of my way to go there is Shell Fuel. Mainly for the quality of the fuel to be honest. Supermarket stuff is crap - at least for diesel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
To be honest if you play the system (these days less favourable) for example, £6 off voucher if you spend £100, shop wisely and alternate supermarkets you may get deals. It's the whole concept that we're getting something for nothing when we're actually paying for the whole set up and that in my view is added to the product. Perhaps I'm wrong, WE seem to have the increasing ability to make life more complicated, with this and that...why?

Just sell the products at the right price by saving time and reducing waste.
However, my polnt has a down side because people have to administer these schemes.

Just to add, supermarket post arrived yesterday with all these paper offers and a £1.50 voucher.
Hardly use this brand, must be the local petrol station.

I went shopping this morning and got a free coffee, so I am hypocrit.

I think they can be good if you actually see a benefit from them.. for example, I have never heard of people receiving more than a jar of jam from certain supermarket points, and that's after saving for a year! :rolleyes:

But I really like other schemes such as Boots (though I know that isn't a supermarket) - I've genuinely benefited from using my 'points' to cover the cost of everyday items such as shampoo and conditioner to the value of £5/6 a time 🆒 after only a few months' worth of saving.

I totally agree with you about the unnecessary vouchers/ key rings etc etc though - I think one simple card that can be scanned, with vouchers loaded onto it if relevant, is better and saves on the cost of producing merch.