Spreadsheet Annual Calculator, feedback?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 13667 replies

Annual Energy Calculator with which you can compare 2 tariffs one of which can be split or single rate, and it can accommodate different  or the same gas prices on each tariff. Thus if you wanted to compare a single rate and an E7 tariff and they both had different gas prices or standing charges, you can do that.

What would you like to see that I may have missed? Here is a guide screenshot, and does anyone want to have a go at breaking it? If so I will provide a link by DM

It has  stuff happening underneath, so this screenshot is only a guide.

All that is necessary is to enter your rates and standing charges and it will calculate all your costs (only including vat)

129 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve had gander this morning and would say this is brilliant and perhaps too brilliant for many. I can see how much thought has gone into this with those well thought out formulas.  Big up for @woz 

I’ve sent you a DM

@Strutt G Thanks.

I may have to produce a simpler interface - I accept the fact that some people don’t need or want to see the granular breakdown of costs.I thought they could look past the detail and just enter the numbers, I shall give it a coat of thinking about (available in tins at B&Q).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re getting a like purely for your excitement our Strutty, ruddy love it 😆😆😆😆😆, and your 25 squids 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Our Notelets will love it 😉🙃😁👍👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This seems to be turning into a my spreadsheet is better than yours battle. Everyone has their own requirements when it comes to creating them, with some wanting a basic plan, others more inclusive, it's a whatever works for you scenario.

I only wish I could create one, I did try to create one on Google's sheets I think it was, failed miserably and gave up, back to pen and paper for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Annual Energy Calculator with which you can compare 2 tariffs one of which can be split or single rate, and it can accommodate different  or the same gas prices on each tariff. Thus if you wanted to compare a single rate and an E7 tariff and they both had different gas prices or standing charges, you can do that.

What would you like to see that I may have missed? Here is a guide screenshot, and does anyone want to have a go at breaking it? If so I will provide a link by DM

It has  stuff happening underneath, so this screenshot is only a guide.

All that is necessary is to enter your rates and standing charges and it will calculate all your costs (only including vat)

I’ve had gander this morning and would say this is brilliant and perhaps too brilliant for many. I can see how much thought has gone into this with those well thought out formulas.  Big up for @woz 

I’ve sent you a DM

Badge +5

Just a thought my later mother at the age of 78 went on a MS Office Course after we went out and she purchased her first computer and would now be online for the first time. We had some magical moments even with all the frustration of her phoning me at work with all the problems that come with MS constantly updating, then me popping round attempting to explain stuff - it was a lovely shared experience. Anyway I’ve diverged, think she managed to get the course from age concern.

Maybe consider getting an online excel beginners course or excel of dummies book as all you really need to know is some basics, unless of course you get fixated and want to go on course.

My late mother did something similar. At the age of 80 she decided to buy a computer and learn how to use it. Took herself off to her local technical college to learn what to do. Then decided to research the family and ancestors. Made notes of her experiences and research but she would print them out and then delete the file on the computer and did not proof read as she progressed. I was left with 100 + documents to scan, convert to Word, edit format etc. and then save digitally. Am nearly there with it all. She made the effort to learn though, amongst other things she did. Some of the notes she left are of a visit to Germany in November 1938, the conditions there and what she saw. Of course we all realise after the event that we ought to have sat down with our elders and got their story.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ha Ha oh no - It was a compliment @woz 

Was a compliment for thy fine work that came out wrong from a jerk

It sounded ok in my wee mind and I was not endeavouring to be unkind.

It seems thee a twee bit miffed lets not fall out and and have a rift.

Strutt Inc (G)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@woz 

I'd love to give the spreadsheet a try, but my laptop died a long while ago, I don't see any need to replace it as I do everything I need on my phone and tablet

Nice effort though

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Lol my spreadsheet has 4 months on it and that’s it ha. It’s still in baby stage and useless to work anything out on it atm 😂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Lapa 

ha! my meter reading spreadsheet is now so complicated even I don’t understand I and I wrote it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I said elsewhere, you’re wasted here our Wozeeta! You would be LOL at my pen and paper effort 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev @Strutt G 

LOL I would never laugh at anyone else’s effort, however implemented. There’s something about using pencil and paper that forces you to think things through in a different way, I often have a scribble to get the logic clear in my head - it helps me to focus  (because my concentration is rubbish)... and I’ve just spent the last 2 hours trying to unravel my annual chart with the intention of making something similar for ongoing readings, so people could track readings daily or even twice daily if need be (for those poor souls who panic post…)

I might have to put it on hold for a while my brain has seized up

and even if I do finish it someone will come along and tell me it’s no use to anyone

and my toads tools are rampant…

Thanks for the support!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just a thought my later mother at the age of 78 went on a MS Office Course after we went out and she purchased her first computer and would now be online for the first time. We had some magical moments even with all the frustration of her phoning me at work with all the problems that come with MS constantly updating, then me popping round attempting to explain stuff - it was a lovely shared experience. Anyway I’ve diverged, think she managed to get the course from age concern.

Maybe consider getting an online excel beginners course or excel of dummies book as all you really need to know is some basics, unless of course you get fixated and want to go on course.

@25 quid damn, missed that soz, distracted-but I’ve moved on, OK I’ll have a look..

OK - later edit...I’ve looked and when I  added those headers I don’t think it benefitted so I’m not going to change it. Beauty and all that, I think it made it look cluttered and unnecessarily repetitive.

I think it’s clear and aesthetically tolerable as it is with original  headers, but feel free to mod yours if you prefer it.

It’s interesting how our own telescopes give a different view of the same thing. 😂

Anyway, all good, we can respectfully disagree. Your call. Keep up your fun work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Fun is the key indeed 👍👏🙃. Nice, albeit a smaller group, is still staying around, having fun to the end 👍👍👍👍👍

​​​​​​from Octopus Energy account page

Slightly different topic, but Octopus Energy provide 30 minute data which can also be downloaded as a .csv file for any period you choose.

What fancy ways could you render this in Excel?

(the above graph shows a day I was away, so only baseload of the fridge and an air pump) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

LOL

I didn’t really think it was an insult, I just felt poetic..

I think I’ll have to add that one to the poetry thread.

Progress is sooooo slooooowwwwww on the new sheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In the spirit of fun @woz, I word counted my headers vs your headers. 42 vs 47.

Now who’s more repetitive! 😈

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder...

@25 quid 

not me, I make it 12, and one of those was your modification - it was originally 11. Granted I repeated them at the bottom but that’s to save scrolling if you were to extend the sheet and forget which column is which, so they don’t count ‘cos you can delete them. The headers on gas converter are what you asked for so they don’t count and the handy vat reverser is an extra.

The only repetition I can see is “cost” which is what your suggestion added, there was only one cost column in the original (which I prefer) Like you said, keep it simple.

I’ve now moved on to the ad-hoc meter reading version.

@G4RHL I don’t understand the reasoning behind your comment about using a comparison site instead.
The spreadsheet isn’t instead of, it’s as well as using a comp site. 

I now have to take the washing machine to bits, I may be some time..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@25 quid 

compare up to 7 tariffs either single or dual rate and single or dual fuel. Names of tariffs are not related to any company. I only chose 7 because I felt like it, could be any number.

This addresses all you mentioned as did the first one but it’s less cluttered.

All extraneous info removed just enter rates and percentage if dual rate and out pops the total.

It’s error trapped to prevent dual rate errors creeping in those are the red squares (for example)

consumption readings chart is in progress, it will however take weeks, I may not even bother

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Loving the names our Wozeeta 👍👏🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Badge +5

@woz You could have called one of them “Offgerm.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Been there already done that

My spreadsheet already allows for a global change in VAT, although not on a granular scale and not retrospectively on a per entry basis, I decided were the rate to change you would start anew with the virgin sheet with the new vat rate which can be set

an example:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

😊 Less is more… 😊 

Less isn’t more on the PP forum our Notes. Deserted today 😳😢😢😢. Sunday’s used to be sooooooooooooooooooo fab didn’t they! 

Awww 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G

that one’s finished, feel free to break it any way you like.

Modified the way the discount is shown as it isn’t always deducted from energy costs so where it applies it’s shown separately (look at the last line for example in the below)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

and worse still I have toothache, and can’t concentrate on  spreadsheets

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Have a rest from your ruddy spreadies our Wozeeta 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Rest those gnashers 😬😖😉