Spreadsheet Annual Calculator, feedback?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 13667 replies

Annual Energy Calculator with which you can compare 2 tariffs one of which can be split or single rate, and it can accommodate different  or the same gas prices on each tariff. Thus if you wanted to compare a single rate and an E7 tariff and they both had different gas prices or standing charges, you can do that.

What would you like to see that I may have missed? Here is a guide screenshot, and does anyone want to have a go at breaking it? If so I will provide a link by DM

It has  stuff happening underneath, so this screenshot is only a guide.

All that is necessary is to enter your rates and standing charges and it will calculate all your costs (only including vat)

129 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have the Excel app, although I've never used it

@Duppy Do you mean the Annual calculator, if so it is available in Google sheets but the announcement this morning about potentially losing the vat and then your message set me off down a major modification route...

In the meanwhile I’ll send u a link shortly

(and don’t call me shortly...)

@Duppy Link in your DM’s

What do you mean @G4RHL?

Badge +5

@25 quid it never  makes me laugh but it does sound as though you are causing something complicated and far from simple to rise from the ground.

Excel is such a giggle! 🤪

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have the Excel app, although I've never used it

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Duppy 

Do you have excel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @woz 

Did you ever make a start on a Google drive version of your spreadsheet(s)

I've just had a look and everyone says it's easy, everything is easy if you know what you are doing, which I don't.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Been there already done that

My spreadsheet already allows for a global change in VAT, although not on a granular scale and not retrospectively on a per entry basis, I decided were the rate to change you would start anew with the virgin sheet with the new vat rate which can be set

an example:

Badge +5

May be the final product needs to allow for a VAT increase having regard to today’s news. Another column, another formula!

Adding to my previous post, with 'smart' appliances we will be able to monitor individual appliance energy use in the future.🤖

Great for geeks!

​​​​​​from Octopus Energy account page

Slightly different topic, but Octopus Energy provide 30 minute data which can also be downloaded as a .csv file for any period you choose.

What fancy ways could you render this in Excel?

(the above graph shows a day I was away, so only baseload of the fridge and an air pump) 

So does that mean that the air pump uses more power than the fridge (which I assume is causing the castellations) 😳?

Just because you were kind enough to ask, I'll tell you 🙂

The air pump continually aerates my sewage tank before it gets pumped out under the lawn (using a submersible water pump). The room the fridge is in is currently 11 degrees according to Alexa (my personal housekeeper).

Fir anyone interested, Shell will also take half hourly readings from your smart meters, viewable in their app

This is good news, looking forward to this once I get an account, login, etc.

Slightly different topic, but Octopus Energy provide 30 minute data which can also be downloaded as a .csv file for any period you choose.

(the above graph shows a day I was away, so only baseload of the fridge and an air pump) 

So does that mean that the air pump uses more power than the fridge (which I assume is causing the castellations) 😳?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Fir anyone interested, Shell will also take half hourly readings from your smart meters, viewable in their app

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Strutt G

haha already heard about him R4 then  R4extra a good few months ago…

Version 8 and still in progress, .but you’ll be delighted to know that I’m  now creating more bugs with every change...

Cosmic Man! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G 

haha already heard about him R4 then  R4extra a good few months ago…

Version 8 and still in progress, .but you’ll be delighted to know that I’m  now creating more bugs with every change...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I believe in bugs I truly believe in bugs and watch them as they wiggle along singing a song I truly believe in bugs.

Words as I remember by the late great Ivor Cutler who had a cult following - check him out on the tub. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ready to roll…

(version 4 at the moment, slowly ironing out the bugs...)

Useful vanity.
If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing! I love a project like that…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This part of the sheet is now working as I think it should, any comments?

It allows interrogating all the periods where you’ve entered readings (and the future predictions which roll on.)

Vanity project or useful?

Wow, more is more. But seems logical. I love a nice chart myself @woz

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi all I need some feedback anyone is interested..

My ad-hoc anytime enter meter readings sheet is 75% complete (the percentage depends on any feedback!)

I’m going to post some screenshots to give you some idea of how I’ve tackled this, if you hate it please say so.  It gives a huge amount of information, most of which you can choose to ignore if you wish, ( @25 quid more is less) I’m not going to simplify it to remove any info, but will consider any thoughts on layout etc. My weak spot is charts, I can’t figure them out yet, so that part isn't even started yet.

It won’t ever be perfect but will it be useful?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry @woz , sidetracked your thread

@Duppy 

LOL call that a sidetrack, you haven’t lived…’tis but a slight wound..
It’s worrying when kids do things like that, still it might even out slightly in April but at which point all the rest of us will be screwed.

I may have some more work to do on the ad-hoc readings sheet, I blame the tooth pain for the below, fortunately still work in progress

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sorry @woz , sidetracked your thread