Razors

I think that I may have mentioned somewhere else that the company I've been buying my 'semi-disposable' (i.e. you only replace the head) razors from 'King Of Shaves' has committed to eliminating single-use plastic by 2023.

This got me thinking about how they are returning to the 'old-fashioned' Double-Edged' razor.

Personally, until I bought one to experiment with last week, I'd never used one before.

Any Pure Planet members using Double Edged razors, or even the 'cut-throat' style?

If so, have you any advice you wish to share?

Is the return to the 'good old-days' really going to help that much or will all this extra shaving cream outweigh the benefits?

37 replies

Hi @Gwyndy
Nice post!
I haven't made the move to cut-throat razors yet (not sure I could be trusted to not slit my own throat, tbh) but I have started using old-fashioned shaving soap with a badger hair brush.
The shaving foams have plastic lining and plastic lids, and they don't last long! My shaving soap (called 'Trumper' or something similar) has a nicer sandalwood smell and lasts forever! (Well, for about six months).
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Is this a men only zone? 😂😂😂

I’d like to contribute by saying best women’s razor is Wilkinson Intuition, but sadly, as photographed in another thread months back, I showed it to have the worst excess packaging; it was astounding🙀👎👎👎👎 . However, for a gorge razor with built in soap and wonderfully smooth shave for pits, legs and Hollywood, look no further 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏

LOL re ya badger hair brush and ya 🎺soap, Marc 😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I'm wearing harmony hair spray.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
When you said Hollywood was that a euphemism for a South American country, famous for nuts and inflation....
I hope Badgers are protected in Bath. I have visions of Marc chasing one up the road, scissors in hand.
Bev;29694:
Is this a men only zone? ������������������

I’d like to contribute by saying best women’s razor is Wilkinson Intuition, but sadly, as photographed in another thread months back, I showed it to have the worst excess packaging; it was astounding������������������������������ . However, for a gorge razor with built in soap and wonderfully smooth shave for pits, legs and Hollywood, look no further ������������������������������������������������������������

LOL re ya badger hair brush and ya ������soap, Marc ������������������������������
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
woz;29749:
When you said Hollywood was that a euphemism for a South American country, famous for nuts and inflation....

😂😂😂😂Close Wozeeta, Close, but tiny bit balder in Hollywood than Brazil if ya get me drift 👍😂

I hope Badgers are protected in Bath. I have visions of Marc chasing one up the road, scissors in hand.

😂😂😂😂😂😂✂️
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Haha, hilarious🤣🤣🤣
As for @Strutt G using Harmony - I don't think so 😲😨
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Don't laugh I've got several hair pieces all in the same style so that when people see me they think that the hair piece has grown.
Its all secured by a chin strap and the Harmony hairspray keeps things neat on a windy day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I use duraglit, lovely and shiny...
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Always best to rock up and look fine and dandy on polling day.
Won't be long before the wB and his pals gets to vote and run tings.
Can't do any worse than us carbon fings.
Try a beard instead - a great time saver!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hey Lenny you going all West Coast hipster
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
woz;29812:
I use duraglit, lovely and shiny...

I prefer pledge myself, buffs up a treat
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I bet and I might try that
Strutt G;29813:
Always best to rock up and look fine and dandy on polling day.
Won't be long before the wB and his pals gets to vote and run tings.
Can't do any worse than us carbon fings.

WattBot for Prime Minister @Strutt G 😕😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
A few tweaks and a poke and off yer go
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Open the Brexit doors Wattbot
​I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that....

I nominate this thread for a prize.
Marc;29819:
WattBot for Prime Minister @Strutt G 😕😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
No HP today chrome doming with duraglit and pledge
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I've always though bald men with beards have their faces upside down...
​Classic sketch, well worth a watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RQFzudCKLU
Lenny;29814:
Try a beard instead - a great time saver!

Obviously. you have never met my better half.

- - - Updated - - -

I've asked my Facebook Vegan group, they've given me a few suggestions, I'll post the links here later, just in case anyone is interested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Kate is spot on! Itchy beards yuk! 😂😍
These are the links I had from the Vegan Group.

https://www.thekindstoreonline.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/Soaps-For-Little-Suds-481467335249949/?hc_location=ufi

https://www.reco.shop/blogs/reco-blog/plastic-free-shaving-how-to-use-an-eco-friendly-safety-razor?
Badge
I use a double edge razor, an old Gillette Adjustable that I got off eBay.

Blades used vary from Feathers (really sharp but tend to blunt quickly), Derby, Gillette Black, Nacette.....loads of different ones out there to try!

Pair it up with some Godrej Cool Menthol shave cream picked up in India and a Kent badger bristle brush that I've had for about 20 years now (It has a lifetime guaruntee)

Post shave is Geo F Trumpers Skin Food in Sandalwood scent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Jeeeeez that looks scary Jenam 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Reminds me of my epilator anecdote but I’m sooooooooooo not going there! 😂😂😂😂😂Ouch!
Well, after much research and discussion in various places online - I eventually went for a Double Edged razor set from Mutiny Shaving, not the cheapest, but the handle for the razor and brush are made from recycled skateboards by Joey Goldstraw of Skate Reclaim Create, and Mutiny don't believe in excess packaging. So I'm sticking to my principal of trying to reduce my unnecessary plastic waste - trust me the amount of it Kate goes through in Tonic Water bottles, I need to do something.