Hot Topic

Quizzical Fridays: Famous dates

• Community Manager
  • 1239 replies

Get your calendars out - this week’s quiz is all about famous dates. 

Our guest question comes from the fabulous @Bev this week - I hope it serves you all well (pun intended - you’ll see ;))

Test your knowledge, or simply just have a bit of fun. Let us know how you get on in the replies! 

yz8QpEVUfGjoIvkNrPS0xWke-HPVZNTc-g2ltwDy3oFfFqzdI31EvZSkYY0NalILZyPvfIIKBPeS6oPdbTluLqwUBQzsU9nIZs4fFSihZja7NYCHZvetVw2B6DIZEEFSNX8JgxQ1

1.Henry VIII’s son Edward VI reigned from 1547 to 1553, but when was he born?

1. 1530 
  2. 1537 
  3. 1525

Answer: 1537

2. When was the ‘Great Fire of London’?

1. 1666 
  2. 1766
  3. 1601

Answer: 1666

3. What year was James Cameron’s hit movie ‘Titanic’ released?

1. 2000
  2. 1996 
  3. 1997 

Answer: 1997

4. When did The Beatles officially split up?

1. 1970 
  2. 1973 
  3. 1967

Answer: 1970 

5. Paul the Octopus rose to fame by accurately predicting the results of which sporting event?

1. 2016 Euros 
  2. 2010 World Cup 
  3. 2012 London Olympics

Answer: 2010 World Cup 

6. Tony Jannus conducted the United States' first scheduled commercial airline flight for the St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line - when did this flight take off?

1. 1921
  2. 1910 
  3. 1914

Answer: 1914

7. The electronic television was invented in San Francisco in which year?

1. 1911
  2. 1934
  3. 1927

Answer: 1927 

8. O.J. Simpson was asked to turn himself into police in connection with Nicole Simpson’s murder, leading to the infamous Ford Bronco car chase. Almost 95 million Americans tuned into the unfolding drama live on TV, making it the most watched programme of which year?

1. 1994
  2. 1996
  3. 1991

Answer: 1994

9. Charles Ingram shocked the nation when he won Who Wants to be a Millionaire with a little help from a coughing contestant and his wife, but when did this happen?

1. 2001 
  2. 2006
  3. 2003

Answer: 2001

10.  Last but certainly not least, our @Bev’s guest question: The Wimbledon tennis championship holds the record for the longest singles tennis match in history. Lasting 11 hours and 5 minutes, and played between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut, which year did this match take place?

1.  2016
  2. 2010 
  3. 1999

Answer: 2010 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah fab fun quiz again our Mads 👍👏🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉, really look forward to it now each Friday 👍

Ah thanks for including my guest question hee 🎾👍😊. Really kind. Ah, bless. 

Well, this is embarrsssing! 🤭☺️☺️☺️☺️. Even with my OWN question, I scored a shameful 3 out of ten 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭OMG I know history was my least favourite subject at L’ecole but THREE😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

#musttryhardernextweek 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 4

@Bev I got in a total muddle with my dates too :joy::grimacing::joy:

I remember that tennis match (although I can’t say I watched it all) - a marathon! Great question, thank you Bev. 

@Mads, if next week’s quiz could be about Strictly, food & drink, something like that, that would be ace :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thumbsup:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ooooooooh yeah! A Strictly one would be good wouldn’t it! 😳😳😳👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏💃🏼🕺. 

Hey, you’re welcome our Alex, I loved being guest host 👍👏😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Come on people, don’t be shy, have a go at the Friday Fun quiz! Test your history knowledge. It’s all just a bit of fun on a Friday. Some great questions and effort from our Mads, come on in and see how you score! 👍🎓

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

4 out of 10.  I got number 1 right by a logical guess and not not historical knowledge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

7/10 but I didn't really know all the answers I guessed half of them and got lucky.

Thanks for the quiz guys

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Surprised myself there 8/10 .

I gave up on history at school, I couldn't see a future in it

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

🤣🤣🤣🤣👏👍

I gave up on history at school, I couldn't see a future in it

You’re not planning on becoming a future Nostradamus then @Duppy 

7 out of 10, I was okay with the ‘really old, proper, history questions’ (then again I should be seeing as the Reformation was part of my degree course.)

Most of the rest was educated/uneducated guesswork.
I knew the Beatles one because I wanted George Harrison’s post-Beatles album for Christmas (no-one bought me it - boo-hoo.)

The commercial flight, OJ, and Who wants to win a mini on air (anyone remember that?) I got wrong.  

Fabulous quiz results everyone! :smile:

Who fancies doing the guest question for this week’s quiz? Let me know and I’ll dm you the theme!:sunglasses:

Can I tempt you @Scubaseahorse, @Duppy, @Strutt G, @Bev, @Gwyndy?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As long as its rigged so I win

I’ll dm you the theme @Strutt G - you’ll definitely get 1/10 :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m still pondering…..and had to take a headache assistant

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Love these Friday quizzicles! 👍👏🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣