Hot Topic

Pure Planet Community photo challenge January 2022 - Animals

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi everyone, and welcome to January’s Community photo challenge! 

Last month’s December challenge was all about the magic of winter, and we had some great photos shared, so a big thank you to everyone who took part! This month, @G4RHL beat everyone to the top spot, with his gorgeous Christmas ornament picture.

This month’s theme is all about Animals - so that can be anything, from the hedgehog that visits your garden, to an adorable snap of your pet dog. 

We’re really looking forward to seeing everyone’s pics! 

eok4jx0XrbW-b589W0x0UKJYV6LY3EXu35sKaIA1VYZ-5E3Sz91qTK7ynYUhd3soeCKZAqgHjQwsP5i-fZssVJOm_gGgACIgulFwVf1gfdhF2qx55krNqrfI4DoafC8GKu9mUpxc

What is the photo challenge?

Each month, Community members take photos based on a theme and share them in a thread.

The winner is the photo with the best feedback and likes from other members, and the winner can then pick the next month's theme.

Unsure how to upload a photo to a Community thread? Check out our how-to guide!

28 replies

Love this theme! I can’t wait to see all of your glorious animal encounters. :smile:

Here’s a shot of some butterflies from a butterfly house in Bristol:

Userlevel 6
Badge

Love this, @Mads :blush: butterflies are so beautiful, but I feel a bit nervous around them, as they’re so delicate!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wow Mads! Truly stunning, and a lovely unusual entry 👏👏👏👏👏. Like that a lot 🦋🍊🍋🦋🍊🍋. That’s really special. Love it! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I think it’s the sound their wings make, our Jen too, when really close. Just initially makes you think eeeek is that a bee, a wasp etc, but once you get used to the flapping, they truly are gorgeous indeed. And yes, if ever I have tried to release one that’s come in thru the windows, it is really worrying trying not to damage their wings in any way. 

Thanks very much everyone! :blush: I was far more interested in them than my nephew was, he was into the snakes. :snake:

I honestly think butterflies are incredible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Jenny_ 

I’ve recalibrated your cat - apologies for any offence caused.

Userlevel 6
Badge

No offence taken @woz :relaxed: always happy for another excuse to look at my handsome boy’s face!  

Catweazle — My childhood pet

He’s still going strong and has sired many little weasels and is quite the horny bugger (©Bev)! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I think they’re lovely little creatures, bless him 💕🐢

Badge +5

@25 quid Reminds me of a talk given by the late David Bellamy. He had visited the Galápagos Islands and was woken up in the early hours by the loud sound of a clacking noise. Investigation revealed it was the giant tortoises making love. They can only do it in the dead of night as they seek the open but during the day when the sun comes up it gets too hot and they would not be able to get back in the shade again in good time!

Am also reminded, again! That giant tortoises like their shell being stroked.

I could twist that around. Our new supplier, Shell, likes being stoked!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just captured Robbie the gorgeous tame robin. Feeds regularly on my balcony, this is their new Peppa 🐖plate 🤣🐷🐽

What’s for dessert please, Bev.? 🤷‍♀️💕🤣

Am also reminded, again! That giant tortoises like their shell being stroked.

I could twist that around. Our new supplier, Shell, likes being stoked!

Catweazle always likes being tickled on his shell under his chin. In between bites of a dandelion. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Lovely little Robin @Bev  and the Peppa Pig plate is a bonus 👍👍😀😀👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee hee, thanks our Scubes. They were getting messy and their old plate needed replacing hee, so spotted that in Asda 🐷🐽😁😁👍

Yes, the little beauty allowed me to get quite close as he was soooooo eager to get to the food. 📸👍

Userlevel 2

HI everyone! I have been struggling to choose between posting a picture of my dog or my cat as I didn’t want to play favourites. I settled on a picture of both of them, of which I don’t have many our cat despises the dog. So here they are… Ray is our beautiful, 3-legged cat and Oatie is our pug. You can see by Ray’s face how he feels about Oatie being so close :joy:  

Userlevel 6
Badge

Aww @Bev I love your little robin!

@roz_M I can get a real feel for Ray and Oatie’s characters through that photo!  They’re both adorable and I love the names.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah thanks our Jen! 

Hey Roz, like Jen says, you can soooooooooooo feel the mood from that photo 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Little Oatie thinking “pleeeeease be my friend, Ray!” 💕😁😁😁Ray thinking “No chance, Puggy!” Ray sooooooo cute with his three legs bless. Both adorable. 

Hey Roz, you the new girl?! 😳🤷‍♀️😳👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Lovin' that photo @roz_M they are gorgeous 

Userlevel 4

I’ve discovered a little bird’s nest just outside my bedroom window. It’s about the size of the palm of my hand, and so beautifully made. I’m not sure what type of bird might have made it - we have lots here. Fingers crossed for some eggs soon:fingers_crossed: Although I’m not sure if mum and dad chose the safest of spots - it’s pretty exposed to the elements!

Twit twoo

Blackie, Mittens, and Shadow all having a cwtch.

Wow @Gwyndy they’ve grown up so fast - they’re beautiful! :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So cute @Gwyndy 🐈🐈🐈

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Gorgeous nest, Alex! Truly gorgeous! Sooooo close too! But yes, they may realise it’s too exposed. Wonderful how this months comp has brought such a wide range of animals and wildlife to the camera lense 👏👍💕. 

Our Gwynd, they’ve grown sooooooooooooo much! Are those ones for keeps now? They seem settled and cosy with you 👏👍💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

HI everyone! I have been struggling to choose between posting a picture of my dog or my cat as I didn’t want to play favourites. I settled on a picture of both of them, of which I don’t have many our cat despises the dog. So here they are… Ray is our beautiful, 3-legged cat and Oatie is our pug. You can see by Ray’s face how he feels about Oatie being so close :joy:  

@roz_M

LOL, brilliant photo,  at first I thought you’d photoshopped Oatie in!

Is Ray a Maine Coon? Certainly has some of that look about him.

We have a resident (neighbours) 3 legged cat comes to visit, he’s a little bu55er, comes in the house when not invited but if you try to lift him up to put him out again not only does he defy gravity and stick to the floor (haven’t discovered how he does that yet) but you’ll need a visit to A&E. Painful to see him walking but his running is amazingly effortless - or it looks that way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Gwyndy 

Is that my Dennis on the left?