Pizza toppings - over or under the cheese?

Where do you think pizza toppings should be - on top of the cheese, or under it?

One of the PP team was discussing that a piece of ham was hidden underneath his cheese and it triggered a debate, is it a nice surprise, or out of place?

PS if you can read this without immediately craving pizza, I salute you;)

14 replies

In our home, most Saturdays are pizza night, always made from scratch..
Margherita and peperoni pizza, grated cheddar goes on last.
With my personal favourite, the Calabrese Pizza, small mozzarella pieces go on first - after the base sauce.. (And after you cut the pizza, add fresh rocket coated with a bit of pesto and smaller cubes of mozzarella..)

​
Finally, the Lahmacun (Turkish pizza) - no need for cheese!

:-)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@DutchCaerleon,
Love lamachun and pide - well an Turkish food actually.
@Nataly,
I like a mix, cheese can be top, middle or bottom πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Spot on Nat re not being able to read without craving πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•πŸ• !

I’ve sooooooo been avoiding πŸ•πŸ•for about a month now, but reading this and seeing the pics, has just made me want it soooooooo bad!

I do try make my own, and often use rocket, so that goes on top of the πŸ§€πŸ§€, at the end. Mostly tho, I’d say πŸ§€πŸ§€πŸ§€always last, so it melts on the top, mmmmmmm beyond salivating now!

You'll never beat the full fat pizzas delivered to door, but try hard to make own healthier versions where I can πŸ‘ πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mouth-watering @DutchCaerleon ☺️☺️
Userlevel 6
Badge
Got to be on top of a mozarella covered base. On some occasions may have other cheeses as part of mixed toppings.
It’s pretty straightforward, but definitely not with a normal tomato base - the beauty of Lacmacun is the spiced minced lamb or beef base sauce with parsley - completely different flavours.

The pizza base needs to be as thin as possible. After baking it in the oven, perhaps a bit shorter than pizza you add shredded green cabbage or iceberg lettuce and garlic and/or hot chilli sauce and eat it burrito-style, rolled up. Here is a pic of a first attempt:

Nataly;31605:
Sorry @Bev ;)):rolleyes: I'm going for pizza tomorrow as I couldn't resist...
@DutchCaerleon @Scubaseahorse ooo I love Turkish food. Is lahmacun hard to make or can you just use usual pizza base?

And great pic Dutch, very impressive. :D

I personally prefer toppings on top of the mozzarella as it makes them go slightly crispy, but then parmesan grated over the top :raisinghands:
Nataly;31764:
That sounds really good and quiiiite simple - I'll let you know how I get on when I try it out 🆙 also pic looks great, was that really just first attempt?!☝

Here's a pic of my pizza from last night, it was so soooo good... Neapolitan style :o

And look what was on the menu @Gray4276 !! Affogato!:p

Hi Nataly,

I suppose I've got to ask..... did you have one?? πŸ˜œβ˜•οΈ

I'm currently sat in my local CaffΓ¨ Nero..... while my car is being serviced.... 2 coffee's and a Belgian Chocolate muffin so far. β˜•οΈ 🍩 πŸ˜‡
Bev;31584:
Spot on Nat re not being able to read without craving πŸ• πŸ• πŸ• πŸ• πŸ• !

I’ve sooooooo been avoiding πŸ• πŸ• for about a month now, but reading this and seeing the pics, has just made me want it soooooooo bad!

Sorry @Bev ;)):rolleyes: I'm going for pizza tomorrow as I couldn't resist...
@DutchCaerleon @Scubaseahorse ooo I love Turkish food. Is lahmacun hard to make or can you just use usual pizza base?

And great pic Dutch, very impressive. :D

I personally prefer toppings on top of the mozzarella as it makes them go slightly crispy, but then parmesan grated over the top :raisinghands:
DutchCaerleon;31609:
It’s pretty straightforward, but definitely not with a normal tomato base - the beauty of Lacmacun is the spiced minced lamb or beef base sauce with parsley - completely different flavours.

The pizza base needs to be as thin as possible. After baking it in the oven, perhaps a bit shorter than pizza you add shredded green cabbage or iceberg lettuce and garlic and/or hot chilli sauce and eat it burrito-style, rolled up.

That sounds really good and quiiiite simple - I'll let you know how I get on when I try it out 🆙 also pic looks great, was that really just first attempt?!☝

Here's a pic of my pizza from last night, it was so soooo good... Neapolitan style :o

And look what was on the menu @Gray4276 !! Affogato!:p

Gray4276;31765:

I suppose I've got to ask..... did you have one?? πŸ˜œβ˜•οΈ

😂 not this time! Didn't want to be awake all night... that Neapolitan coffee is strong stuff.

I will next time though! It's like the ultimate coke float...
Definitely on top of cheese!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Shop purchase cheese is always bottom no choice. If i make my own(rarely) cheese goes on top, this way you use a lot less cheesy mozzy,i dont always use tomato just light brush coat with olive oil.
I feel traditional italian is oven shaped using leftovers as topping and cheese on top (cheese covers dodgy toppings).
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Not set Patterns once the base x 2 has been set up - its a Pizza and more adhoc if its American Style.

Less is more the Classic Italian Pizza - crust base, tomato Neapolitan topped with mozzarella, adhoc adding ingredients so topped and layered as the cheese will pop up under a layer, or remains the focal point if on top - no matter.

Perhaps I'm talking ollocks
Nice one @Sophie Star - sooo good when the toppings go all crispy right? With all the melted cheese underneath...

That's it, I'm going for pizza tonight! 🆒