Pets Corner

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi all,

We recently got a puppy and wondered if folks would be interested in having a pets corner for general animal chit chat, advice and so on.

201 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

My puppy’s growing up fast, 7 months now and a bundle of excitable energy! The puppy fuzz is gone since a visit to the groomers a couple of weeks ago and she’s looking a lot more “Doodle” now. We have got some nice local walks and she’s usually still got bags of go left in her at the end.
She’s hard to photograph because she’s hardly ever still once we leave the house 😂 !

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Cookie is now officially in quarantine for a couple of weeks, her first season has officially arrived :grimacing:

Something to make you giggle too. I realised all too late yesterday that the tablet I swallowed wasn’t my meds but was, in fact, her piriton!! oops! On the up side I didn’t sneeze at all :shrug_tone1:

She just won’t let it lie
Well, for a moment maybe!

Meet TAT (Temporarily known As Tigger)

We gained TAT last night after it appeared at Heidi (Kate’s carer’s) house for 4 or 5 days in a row looking for food and attention.

As Heidi currently has 3 dogs at home, she couldn’t take it in.

All I can tell you so far is:

Was very hungry.

Had/Has lots of fleas, got 60+ out so far.

Will update once we’ve taken TAT to the vets to see if they can find out anything about it.

Badge +3

In other news,  Solo entered his first competition yesterday. He seemed quite pleased with himself 

It’s all too much for me!

Userlevel 6
Badge

No expensive electric heating needed at this time of year, thankfully 😅 I’ve even switched off all the electric wall heaters at the socket to stop the background electricity usage of their digital programmers. 

This is my ball of fuzz Luna enjoying a bit of breeze from the conservatory door while she naps. She’s a 5 month old Golden Doodle (or Groodle), mum was a Golden Retriever, father a Standard Poodle. Likes chasing leaves, collecting sticks, gazing at the sky or our neighbouring herd of cows. Hates going in the car! Wants air conditioning (not going there!).

Well, we can’t work out whether she’s pregnant, or she’s got a severe worm infestation, but she’s gained quite a big belly since she got here:

She looks rather rotund from head on, but I can’t get a photo of it yet.

Went to the vet yesterday, our lovely lady has at least 2 kittens on the way.

If anyone here’s had a cat give birth, can you give me any idea how tall a box I need so the mother can get in, but the kittens can’t escape - thanks.

I have some Really Useful under-bed boxes going spare which are quite ‘spacious’ (710mm x 545mm x 190mm) but is 190mm high enough?

Badge +3

That’s a lucky bull! How many does it have??

Genuine laugh out loud! 

as for bones, our dogs do have them occasionally. But yeah you have to be careful. As my wife is an ex vet nurse I let her make those decisions. 

who am I kidding. As she’s my wife she makes all the decisions. I just do as I’m told!! 

as for a snake @Nataly im not against it as an animal - I’m just a tight Yorkshire who doesn’t want to pay for the heating of it! 

im still holding out for a sloth tbh

Sounds like a great idea @NannyOgg 

Feel free to start one!

:blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Might be a good tactic though if you need a worming. Sorry in advance….

Badge +3

Awwww how sweet. People keep telling me we should get a second dog. Apparently it makes life easier but I’m not convinced to be honest ….

I wasn’t convinced - but I never am and just get ignored when I say no more pets 😂

but a second dog for us proved great. They get fantastic and keep each other company. Different personalities but it’s good for them to play together too. For us it’s not any more work than having one dog. If I had a bit more room and spare time, I’d have another. But don’t tell anyone ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There appears to be little fluffy white clouds in my living room 

Badge +3

Mum just back from vets., spooky! Messaged me to say deffo the heat. Lethargy and not really interested in walking far. Sleeping more. See how she goes, Nan, but I’d say definitely normal. It’s just hit  25 here 😅😅😅

Missed some of this - but having two furry predominently black dogs, we are very careful in this weather when they go for walks. Usually early morning or late evening i shaded areas. Plenty of water for them during the day. We’re able to leave the patio door in the kitchen open when at home in the day so they can lay outside, in the sun or shade and come in on the cooler kitchen or hall floor. On really hot days, they’l wear their cool coats when going out.

Wouldn’t catch me doing that!

That’s quite a few pets @Jowl! A snake would top it all off wouldn’t it! At least its heated cage would be powered by renewables. :wink:

How kind of the cats to bring you a lovely present… not! Hunting aside, I bet they’re so cute now.:heart_eyes:

We have loads of cats in our street - they’ve taken to sunbathing on our astroturf, I think it’s warmer than normal grass. Happy days for me as I’m missing my own cat, who lives with my parents. 

Thank you for the dog pics @25 quid, all pet photos are always highly appreciated...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Duppy,

I hadn’t seen all the threads for smart meters but I’m guessing there are quite a lot. I didn’t mean that 2 was too many but perhaps folk wouldn’t be interested in a 3rd one.

We can’t all be pet people, the world would sure be a boring place if we were all the same. I’d like to say I have an inherant dislike of children but I don’t think that would sit well with my kids :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well, it was bound to happen at some point!

Between about 1am and 5am, Tigger gave birth to 6 kittens, unfortunately, 1 of them didn’t make it, but mother and the remaining 5 appear to be doing reasonably well.
It was an ‘interesting’ experience for us, as Tigger eschewed the advice of all the cat websites on how a pregnant cat should give birth and with the exception of the last one born, they were all delivered on various areas of the computer room floor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Cookie had her health check yesterday and all A1. Got to get her booked in to be neutered in November. The vet adores her and was very impressed she wasn’t jumping and springing al over the place, hence I feel pretty cocky and pleased with myself.

Hopeing now that she is coming to the end of her season that we can keep her nice and trim.

Lab 1: I’m dreaming of my flowery shoe!

Lab 2: I’m dreaming of pie…

I just hope that this pic doesn’t trigger a comment to completely derail the thread. No names. No pack drill. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not quite a pet but....Found this little fella in my back yard, cowering. John picked him up and put him in a box with some seeds and water. Gonna wait until he's OK to release him 🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think it's fair to say someone is spoiled. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Such a sweetheart @Jowl , well done Solo. 

Cookie is feeling pretty sorry for herself with this being in season so she's lolling on the only sofa she's allowed on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Might be a good tactic though if you need a worming. Sorry in advance….

You’re not the first to say it Strutt and probably not the last .. :joy: